• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I said it after the Waratahs won the title also. The quality of the national team has a huge baring on crowd sizes in super rugby. We need to beat the all blacks.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I said it after the Waratahs won the title also. The quality of the national team has a huge baring on crowd sizes in super rugby. We need to beat the all blacks.

Meanwhile the clash tonight at Lang Park is standing room only. Why can this code sell out club games?

Simple answers, please.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
15/16 teams are Australian
It’s on free to air TV
It’s on at prime time
It’s on at regular time slots

Same with AFL. During AFL season, there are multiple games in Melbourne every week and typically 1 game in Adelaide, Queensland, Sydney or Perth. If you are really into the game, then you can easily go every week. It is also constantly on Free to air TV during the Australian evenings. The league is also fully controlled by Australia which means that they can put equalisation in to ensure that every team does ok every few years. Although RA can do this with the Australian teams, they can't control the strength of the other teams in the other countries.

The time was right after the world cup to move towards a fully domestic competition. Sure, there would have been pain, but rugby was on a high then. The ARC was a start, but they weren't able or willing to cover the costs to get this off the ground (seriously does anyone in their right mind think that the Sheffield Shield has made money at any point in the last 40 years).

The solution is pretty simple. What Rugby needs in Australia in 5-10 years is a full national competition. 16 teams (or so) with 2 teams in each of Canberra (probably the Vikings and the Brumbies), Perth and Melbourne (probably Quins and the Rebels). 5 teams in each of Queensland and NSW (unless someone really wants to try and win South Australia and Tasmania). All games streamed online with a reasonable fee to watch them online live. Highlights packages provided free. The quality of the teams would obviously be less than Super Rugby but it would be less noticeable as we won't be getting beaten 26-0 by the NZ teams. The problem is how to get there and how to fund it but Super Rugby crowds are just continuing to drop and I can't see the next broadcast rights deal being any better. RA may just have to accept that they can't afford to spend so much on a small number of players and pick them from overseas clubs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is an interview of Angus Gardiner in today's SMH, in which he says that the game he likes adjudicating the most are the Shute Shield.

As for the future of rugby in this country, the first thing that we should do is forget all about being a truly national sport, because short of a miracle, that is just not feasible.

Then we should build on our strengths, as few and as far between as they are. The Shute Shield is one of our strengths, perhaps the strongest of all our components.

We face a stark choice. Go in the direction of reality, or go in the direction of a fantasy.

I hope we choose reality.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Whose reality?

Meanwhile.......... Foxtel Now have unlocked all the sports channels for this weekend.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Whose reality?

Meanwhile.... Foxtel Now have unlocked all the sports channels for this weekend.
What ones were locked?

My set up seems to have them all working from when I started watching in Rd 2

I'm pretty impressed with it. It was crap till I got NBN. Now it is special, all HD no pixelating no glitches. Perfect viewing.

Paying $40 a month with a digital subscription to the Telegraph. Can use it on 5 devices. Now that is affordable for the masses.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They were all locked if you don't have the sports package.............. so until Monday anyone with Foxtel Now can access the sport channels for free.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Wam re your post above.

Wam, IMO its so obvious, and has been been for years. However the anti SS zealots will role out the foolishness and folly of such thoughts and consider people who think like this, insane and should be sent to the funny farm. Carried away by men in their little white coats. These SS fools lack of understanding of the business case and what will grow rugby.

Holds up hand and says years of neglect, and attacks [in various forms by rugby folk] have greatly weaken the SS.

What has always annoyed me is the assumption the Tahs, as a team in a club based competition are more popular than the combined SS competition. Further you could take a state team [of over 100 years standing] and by the wave of a magic wand say its effectively a club team.

Those that brought the company line sold by the US media company for its own benefit, did their bidding and all but destroyed our pathway development programs established for over 100 years.

Who can forget The Galloping Greens and I gotta say I enjoy watching SS more the Super Rugby. Was on FTA with massive community support. But we all know we need to get rugby on FTA.!!!!! sorry you want rugby on FTA!!!!! yes I do. But SS is on FTA!!! no we want rugby on FTA!!!!! but the SS is rugby and on FTA!!!! no we want rugby on FTA!!!

I awaits now for the US media company believers to tell me how wrong I am and I simply don't understand. Then you are a trouble maker as well for suggesting such ideas. Finally you must be a troll as no one could be this out of touch and stop

SS won't last forever and when it finally goes what is their to replace it.

Dare I mention we are totally out of step with all other major codes except cricket and the Big Bash saved cricket in many ways and is sold as a club competition.

So yep, we should be build on our strengths and make them stronger, not weaker as we experiment with newer and better ways.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Wam re your post above.

Wam, IMO its so obvious, and has been been for years. However the anti SS zealots will role out the foolishness and folly of such thoughts and consider people who think like this, insane and should be sent to the funny farm. Carried away by men in their little white coats. These SS fools lack of understanding of the business case and what will grow rugby.

Holds up hand and says years of neglect, and attacks [in various forms by rugby folk] have greatly weaken the SS.

What has always annoyed me is the assumption the Tahs, as a team in a club based competition are more popular than the combined SS competition. Further you could take a state team [of over 100 years standing] and by the wave of a magic wand say its effectively a club team.

Those that brought the company line sold by the US media company for its own benefit, did their bidding and all but destroyed our pathway development programs established for over 100 years.

Who can forget The Galloping Greens and I gotta say I enjoy watching SS more the Super Rugby. Was on FTA with massive community support. But we all know we need to get rugby on FTA.!!!!! sorry you want rugby on FTA!!!!! yes I do. But SS is on FTA!!! no we want rugby on FTA!!!!! but the SS is rugby and on FTA!!!! no we want rugby on FTA!!!

I awaits now for the US media company believers to tell me how wrong I am and I simply don't understand. Then you are a trouble maker as well for suggesting such ideas. Finally you must be a troll as no one could be this out of touch and stop

SS won't last forever and when it finally goes what is their to replace it.

Dare I mention we are totally out of step with all other major codes except cricket and the Big Bash saved cricket in many ways and is sold as a club competition.

So yep, we should be build on our strengths and make them stronger, not weaker as we experiment with newer and better ways.

I’m not anti Shute shield, I just don’t give a rats ass about it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Just watching a great game of club rugby on replay, the Warringah Rats and University of Queensland, for the Australian Club championship.

Anybody who does not enjoy this, does not enjoy rugby. If you can afford "not to give a rat's arse" about a game like this, sorry to say this, but you do not deserve to have any rugby to watch.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
15/16 teams are Australian
It’s on free to air TV
It’s on at prime time
It’s on at regular time slots
It's a simple game. Easy to understand. Games are rarely completely rubbish penalty fests like union.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The commentary mention approx 8,000...

Yes, and it sounded like someone had a gun to their heads to try and talk up why it was low - firework shows and the like. It was awkward.
Probably better if they avoid trying to justify any of the Aus teams' poor attendances at the moment. They're all sucky.
I can hear it tomorrow - "Allianz Stadium was basically hotter than the sun".

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
does any one have a crowd figure for the brumbies v sharks game ?

Crowd was 8112 (IIRC) which is pretty reasonable (and good news) considering the recent Brumbies performances and what was going on @ Lake Curly Gerkhin. About 100K were at Skyfire for their 30th year show (going with the justifying it theme ;)).

If the game was in Melbourne the crowd figure would have been 10112. :p

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Brumbies are very lucky to still be in existence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are sorry you didn't get a pony for your 10th Birthday but lashing out at all Ponies with your repressed pony hate is a little extreme.

If only we had the extra 2 million or so population on top of our less than 400k like all the other franchises :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.