1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 School Rowing

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Johnny come lately, Oct 21, 2018.

?

Who will win 2019 HOTR?

Joeys 4 vote(s) 18.2%
Newington 1 vote(s) 4.5%
Riverview 1 vote(s) 4.5%
Shore 6 vote(s) 27.3%
Grammar 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Kings 1 vote(s) 4.5%
High 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Scots 9 vote(s) 40.9%
Armidale 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Major Rennie Herbert Moran (7)

Bit like their rugby. Joeys still the school with the best rugby culture, though not always best 1st XV.
  2. Mexican Frank Row (1)

MR - fair to say Scotch has dominated APS rowing in Victoria for a long time. They have won all but 2 of the 1st VIII races at HOR since 2004 (the other 2 were Melbourne Grammar) and their depth (at least the last 5 years) all the way down to Year 9 has been impressive. Brighton Grammar and St Kevins have probably done the most to improve their overall programs over the past couple of years.

Very simply - rowing means everything to Scotch and they will do everything in their power to win each year. And good luck to them! They have allegedly sailed too close to the wind in the past (apparently they were penalised with a "bad" lane a couple of years ago for breaking the summer holiday APS rules) - but they are by no means alone. They start their rowers a year earlier in sculls than some/most of the APS schools. I wonder if they also derive a little bit of advantage (now that so much more time is spent on training) in some key traditional competitor schools having other programs that can get in the way of long term rower development (Geelong Grammar Timbertop for all Year 9s the obvious example) or to a lesser extent MGS "Beyond the Gate" hiking etc in Nov/Dec each year for 3 weeks for all Year 10s - which anecdotally at least I understand impacts conditioning levels and certainly limits time on the river as a 1st VIII crew before the ~ 2 month APS moratorium kicks in each year. (Geelong Grammar and MGS have come 2nd a combined 9 times to Scotch out of the 13 times Scotch has won since it became such a force in APS from 2004).

If Scotch happens to win the SB8+ at the Nationals in 2019 I would basically call it a draw with Shore over the last 9 years (Scotch and Shore would have 4 each and Nudgee 1 win). So they pretty much stand out - at least in SB8+.

I will play Devil's Advocate (or perhaps parochial Mexican) for one moment and post this question - for 2 reasons (neither of which are controlled by AAGPS or its schools), do Shore/AAGPS schools have a bit of an advantage over Scotch/APS schools?

1) I asked the question previously as to whether AAGPS has any sort of moratorium during the Christmas break like the APS do - I can't find any reference to one. Basically, APS crews cannot row in any combination greater than 2 (either School or club) or use school based equipment/boats/trainers between ~9 Dec - 31 Jan each year apart from a max 10 days of rowing camps - with a blanket no row/no school organised training between 20 Dec - 10 Jan each year. See https://www.apssport.org.au/sports/rowing-2/ .

2) Home ground advantage - the Nationals have been held in Sydney since 2013. No interstate travel, warm up regatta earlier in the month at the centre etc.

6 APS schools, 6 AAGPS schools, Nudgee and St Augustines in the SB8+ this weekend - most bringing 1st and 2nd VIIIs. Hope the weather is good!

Cheers

Mexican
  3. ogremcogreface Bob McCowan (2)

who are we backing for the champion schoolboys race tomorrow? I think Scotch will get a silver with Shore taking out the gold.
  4. Dadfaco Frank Row (1)

Here's a long shot - St Augustine's to make the final with a chance of a podium finish
  5. Johnny come lately Larry Dwyer (12)

Wow. So little interest this season.

NSW pumped... at the NSW state champs

Attached Files:

6. Mexican Frank Row (1)

Apart from Scotch winning given their results a week ago, not sure too many would have predicted the SB8 result today. Shore placing 5th as the best NSW crew was a surprise to say the least - but not nearly as much as Scotch 2nd 8 coming 4th.
  7. Tashara Larry Dwyer (12)

Not a lot of talk on Qld GPS Rowing, however if anyone is interested or if any Qld'ers swing by, you can view footage of the final 250m of all age group regatta races on my youtube channel. Link below. I've also linked the first two Open races from the first two regattas so far.
    TJK Sports Media: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqnzTw73mcs-x8pGB3mCHng?view_as=subscriber

8. Bom Frank Row (1)

It's also surprising to not see Sydney boys high racing as I have heard they have 6 rowers pulling under 6:30 in their 2k ergs and would have placed well yesterday.
    schludson likes this.
  9. schludson Frank Row (1)

There's not much chat around the 2nd VIII's, it is going to get very interesting towards the sharp end of the season to see who will pull through. Both Shore and Scots are looking very strong but Kings and St Josephs aren't far behind either.
    Bom likes this.
  10. ogremcogreface Bob McCowan (2)

wow! 6 under 6:30. they should all go try out for the Australian rowing team.
  11. schludson Frank Row (1)

Nah, sub 6:30 is too slow. They wouldn't make it in
  12. ogremcogreface Bob McCowan (2)

that is unfortunate
  13. The Casual Observer Bob McCowan (2)

I think both the 1st and 2nd V111's will be very close this year, and with the Scots stroke from last year set to get into the boat for the first time this season, that will push a boy back to the 2nd V111 making them very hard to beat.
  14. Rod dennis Frank Row (1)

Just out of interest, how do you know so much about the program at scots casual observer, your not a student are you?
  15. The Casual Observer Bob McCowan (2)

I am an (old) Old Boy, but I do have a nephew currently rowing in the program.
  16. Jonterry Bob McCowan (2)

Interested to see how the first eight boys will place this weekend, I just can't see Shore winning. Meanwhile if anyone still cares about the fours on this forum, Riverview are currently the best 1st IV crew with a 6:55 time and Newington are the current best 2nd IV with a 7:06. I think Scots/Shore/Joeys/Kings to take out the second eight event this weekend but the times seem relatively slow this year with winning times around the 6:10s.
    Sully likes this.
  17. The Casual Observer Bob McCowan (2)

Yes I am looking forward to watching the V111's race this weekend. As you pointed out the times aren't fast but the racing is very tight and interesting to watch unfold. There hasn't been any stand out in the 1st V111 (yet) so I think the winner could come from Shore, Joeys or Scots with Riverview , Kings and Newington not far behind. In the second V111's I agree that it is also up for grab's at the moment, but I think you might see Scots poke their nose in front over the next two weeks at Penrith.