• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 School Rowing

Who will win 2019 HOTR?

• Joeys

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Newington

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Riverview

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Shore

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Grammar

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Kings

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • High

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scots

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Armidale

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Lets hope for a good race tomorrow. Hopefully Shore can do it, bit unlucky last year though all credit to Iggies, and they have been the strongest crew this season, albeit close racing in every race. Fingers crossed they can but whoever wins, enjoy the day !
MR

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I confess to knowing very little about schoolboy rowing, except perhaps that Shore have been dominant for over a decade.

I hear from my son's mates that things are on the improve at Newington and the Year 10 VIII have been very competitive this year.

Good luck to all boys rowing today and I hope that the Black and Whites acquit themselves well.

I_Snap_Oars_For_A_Living

Bob McCowan (2)
An End to another great season dominated once again by Shore, 4 wins from 6 races.
Been a less than optimal discussion group this season though with very little activity, hope to rectify this 2020.
Talk to you all again in the next thread.
*I_Snap_Oars_For_A_Living*

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Well done Shore, their shed culture is incredible, no scholarships with just hard work and a will to win. While they won by a whisker I think they deserved it given they won the majority of races this year. Kings had a great race as well !
Yep, bring on 2020 and hopefully have more interest on this thread. Rowing programmes are flourishing so not sure why there not more activity her.....

MR

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agreed the G+G thread was pretty quiet this year, probably a reflection of a lack of interest of young old boys this year.

Well done to Shore.
I thought Joeys were going to be a shock with the new boat and fast 2nd km which has been their trademark as it was in 2015. SJC 2.59.08 vs Shore 3.00.42 and Kings 3.00.35.
Got them on the podium at least.
Good to see Scots and New give it a serious crack on the day, go and blow isn't an amazing strategy at this level although you never know on tailwind races...
A pretty slow year overall but very competitive which kept it entertaining for us arm chair experts.

See ya all next year. now, where is my footy....?

RowingFan

Frank Row (1)
Agreed the G+G thread was pretty quiet this year, probably a reflection of a lack of interest of young old boys this year.

Well done to Shore.
I thought Joeys were going to be a shock with the new boat and fast 2nd km which has been their trademark as it was in 2015. SJC 2.59.08 vs Shore 3.00.42 and Kings 3.00.35.
Got them on the podium at least.
Good to see Scots and New give it a serious crack on the day, go and blow isn't an amazing strategy at this level although you never know on tailwind races.
A pretty slow year overall but very competitive which kept it entertaining for us arm chair experts.

See ya all next year. now, where is my footy..?

Joeys and kings must be regretting their slow first 5s. Gotta be in it to win it amd the results show that. Nobody remembers the podium. Scots definitely dudded their race but the reason shore continue to be dominant is that they back themselves for the win every time by going out hard. Until the other schools get that they are just waiting ang hoping to pick up the pieces if shore falters out front.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
I think it is more than the above ie. go out hard and dont falter tactic from Shore. Its the culture within the shed. Joeys have it in rugby and Shore have it in rowing. You walk in the shed as a year 7 boy and you know that this place has a winning culture. Every crew is always competitive and you arent going to be the one that lets the shed down. There are no scholarships for athletes or anything like that but admittedly they do have a serious training and technical programme. Some parents argue it can be too full on and I respect this as after all, its just schoolboys sport and schoolwork is more important. I similarly admire Joeys with their rugby programme and the culture within. The First XV support younger teams and this translates into a winning culture. So to beat them you have to change the culture from a young age. Concentrate on the junior programme and in time will be at the top. The Junior pennants pointscore from memory has been won by Shore every year bar 1, so it is no surprise their senior crews do well. At the end of the day, a sport does well if several schools are strong at it. The gap to Kings, Joeys, View, New and Scots is not great but at the junior level it is wider. That's it from me, signing off till next year. Enjoy winter sport, it's a long, cold season as a Shore parent but I know the boys love it and at the end of the day, is all I care. Good luck to all teams.

MR

RowingFan

Frank Row (1)
Y
I think it is more than the above ie. go out hard and dont falter tactic from Shore. Its the culture within the shed. Joeys have it in rugby and Shore have it in rowing. You walk in the shed as a year 7 boy and you know that this place has a winning culture. Every crew is always competitive and you arent going to be the one that lets the shed down. There are no scholarships for athletes or anything like that but admittedly they do have a serious training and technical programme. Some parents argue it can be too full on and I respect this as after all, its just schoolboys sport and schoolwork is more important. I similarly admire Joeys with their rugby programme and the culture within. The First XV support younger teams and this translates into a winning culture. So to beat them you have to change the culture from a young age. Concentrate on the junior programme and in time will be at the top. The Junior pennants pointscore from memory has been won by Shore every year bar 1, so it is no surprise their senior crews do well. At the end of the day, a sport does well if several schools are strong at it. The gap to Kings, Joeys, View, New and Scots is not great but at the junior level it is wider. That's it from me, signing off till next year. Enjoy winter sport, it's a long, cold season as a Shore parent but I know the boys love it and at the end of the day, is all I care. Good luck to all teams.

MR

I agree the culture is the edge. My argument is how that kind of culture translates to the winning strategy. Backing yourself to win, it is why every shore crew starts a race going for the lead and the boys believe they should win. If you don’t have that winning culture you hold back and will always have to be content with “nearly” winning or the podium.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Y

I agree the culture is the edge. My argument is how that kind of culture translates to the winning strategy. Backing yourself to win, it is why every shore crew starts a race going for the lead and the boys believe they should win. If you don’t have that winning culture you hold back and will always have to be content with “nearly” winning or the podium.

I reckon Kings raced really really well and did go really hard for the first 1000 with a 2:56 split. They were only 0.58 off at 1000 then finished 0.51 behind in what was a pretty quick race (quicker than the last 2 years in similar conditions) so I reckon they went out pretty hard, it just didn't work against a much improved Shore crew. Given Kings hadn't really challeged for first all year it was a great row in context.

RowingFan

Frank Row (1)
I reckon Kings raced really really well and did go really hard for the first 1000 with a 2:56 split. They were only 0.58 off at 1000 then finished 0.51 behind in what was a pretty quick race (quicker than the last 2 years in similar conditions) so I reckon they went out pretty hard, it just didn't work against a much improved Shore crew. Given Kings hadn't really challeged for first all year it was a great row in context.

They gave up a full length or 3 seconds in the first 500 and had to play catch-up from there. A great recovery row yes from that position and a well deserved podium but 6th out the blocks and that far behind in fast conditions is”pretty hard” but not hard enough to win it.

stewiegriffin

Frank Row (1)
They gave up a full length or 3 seconds in the first 500 and had to play catch-up from there. A great recovery row yes from that position and a well deserved podium but 6th out the blocks and that far behind in fast conditions is”pretty hard” but not hard enough to win it.

The splits on rnsw are wrong, if you watch the livestream you can see kings were in 3rd, 0.45s behind shore at the 500m. Kings were 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd for each 500m, with a gap to shore of 0.45s, 0.58s, 0.11s, and 0.51s respectively. Not sure why the official results dont reflect this

Status
Not open for further replies.