1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by Strewthcobber, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Adam84 Colin Windon (37)

I considered going, but the loss against the All Blacks and the fact it was essentially a reserve team took any interest i had away from travelling all that way.
  2. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

Aus v Samoa didn't make Top 20 on TenBold. 77k on Fox
    NZ v Tonga 39k on Fox
  3. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

WC game v Fiji
    319k on FTA (inc regionals). 217k on Fox

Not quite the same time, but more viewers in both Sydney and Brisbane watched the AFL final on seven than the rugby on 10
  4. The_Wookie Chris McKivat (8)

oddly enough NZ v SA top ranked stream of the world cup this week on Oztam VPM - beating out both AFL prelims, both nrl semis and the Aus v Fiji WC game.
  5. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

Wallabies v Wales -
    376k FTA Metro only
    303k on Fox

Probably around 800-900k total.

Update: 395k metro and 181k regional

Most other RWC games on Fox around 30-40k
  6. The_Wookie Chris McKivat (8)

Although the Australian rugby team fought out a tough 39-21 victory over Fiji in its first game at the 2019 Rugby World Cup on Saturday, a study has found more than half the country is unaware the tournament is even on.
  7. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

Total 475k for Aus v Uru
    174k on fox

Most other games around 100k
  8. Crashy Dave Cowper (27)

If it makes anyone feel better the NRL GF saw their lowest ratings in 16 years. A measly 2.9 million..
    I wonder how much Fox shelled out for the RWC - 48 games and pretty much 90% with decent ratings must see a decent return for them. Especially with Kayo as well.
  9. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

Yeah, TV ratings are down across the board. It's a changing landscape out there

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-a...iences-down-streaming-up-20191007-p52yag.html
  10. wamberal Simon Poidevin (60)

The ratings are not just about numbers, the demographics are important, too. I would hope that the rugby audience is pretty attractive to blue chip advertisers.
  11. MarkJ Charlie Fox (21)

The fact that both the AFL and NRL grand finals were predicted to be fairly one sided affairs wouldn't have helped the ratings. I suspect some of your more casual observers wouldn't have bothered watching because they thought they'd just see a flogging (as was the case in the AFL).
  12. zer0 Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Not about Australia, but the RWC seems to be picking up some traction in Japan.

https://www.reuters.com/article/rug...-audience-watched-japan-v-samoa-idUSL5N26S1YH

46.1% of viewers in the 11th most populated country on the planet is a decent effort.
    dru likes this.
  13. Crashy Dave Cowper (27)

I like that because one country alone has just dwarfed mungo's global tally by close to 900%. Tell me what sport is growing...
    Tex and RugbyReg like this.
  14. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

@MediaweekAUS: #TVratings Friday #RWC2019
    #AUSvGEO
    #10Sports 416k (Metro 274k Regional142k)
    #FoxSports 171k https://t.co/dtdMz9Bzof
  15. papabear Darby Loudon (17)

lol rugby league did a wee in your weetbix?
  16. Crashy Dave Cowper (27)

Nah- just like when despite the australian media’s irrational hyperbole about mungo’s place in the world, you have these examples of how it is going nowhere. Despite being all about money.. now global rugby is so big- i’ll keep enjoying watching.
  17. papabear Darby Loudon (17)

Troll mode on.

Your first sentence doesn't make sense

just like when despite the australian media’s irrational hyperbole about mungo’s place in the world, you have these examples of how it is going nowhere.

The article you were commenting on does not talk about or have anything to do with rugby league. The Australian media as far as I read it (and pretty much media everywhere) do not try and argue rugby leagues international presence is any bigger then it is. Which is dwarfed by the international presence of rugby union.

Your comments read like you have insecurities about rugby league to be honest and I feel it would be thereaupetic for you to actually talk to your therapist about your feelings on rugby league, or type them out here and I am sure if you are going to get support anywhere its from the good people of this website.

to be honest I wont tell anyone if you deep down have a guilty pleasure of watching the NRL.
  18. Beer Baron Vay Wilson (31)

Any figures for Jap v Scotland yet?
  19. zer0 Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Beer Baron likes this.
  20. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

For Australia, Japan v Scotland was 133k on Fox
    Beer Baron likes this.