1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 Super Rugby AU Round 5 Force v Rebels

Discussion in 'Rugby Matches' started by KevinO, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Rugbynutter39 Mark Loane (55)

To me force made critical mistake after scoring their try to not clear out from their 22 in restart - where error resulted in rebels scoring and back in the contest while Lance also then had chance to seal it with missed penalty. Gave of inches.Force will rue this loss as had chance to win it but Force again showing they are not far off the pace and with backing they have will be even better next season as well as continuing to improve with remaining games they have with this season.
    kiap and dru like this.
  2. Rugbynutter39 Mark Loane (55)

Yeh last week I got to see some really high skill rugby from the Brumbies this week no side offering the same sort of skills on display that brumbies showed. To me brumbies then reds and then the rest
  3. dru Steve Williams (59)

Reds Force
    and
    Reds Waratahs

I don't think back up your postulate.
  4. Dctarget Geoff Shaw (53)

very happy that the Rebels won but fuck me can Gardner can kill a game. Way too pedantic. Maybe all the calls are technically correct but he has no feel for the game.

thought Lance was good, great try by the force. Toomua is ace in defence hey. I thought all locks were pretty good, Hosea seems to have some serious potential. Good game Force.
    Silverado and dru like this.
  5. Dctarget Geoff Shaw (53)

oh and Meakes is absolute garbage. Ball dies with him. Put Deegan at 12.
    RugbyReg, Rugbynutter39 and Derpus like this.
  6. Boof1050 Larry Dwyer (12)

Man i'm heartbroken and fingernails gone! Must agree that maybe Gardner is too pedantic and for both teams.
    Certainly noticed the difference in scrum dynamics once Pek came on at halftime.
    kiap likes this.
  7. Boof1050 Larry Dwyer (12)

Yeah DC i think Deegan adds a great bit of ball playing potential to the Rebels backline just needs to be given a decent chance.
    Dctarget likes this.
  8. Up the Guts Paul McLean (56)

10 Deegan, 12 MT surely.
    Rugbynutter39, Scooter and Derpus like this.
  9. Dctarget Geoff Shaw (53)

happy with either
  10. Tex Peter Johnson (47)

I've paused the replay and put my wine down to log on and point out that the Naisarani card in the first half is absolute bullshit.

Kaifer spent minutes blowing smoke up Gardiner's arse about how he likes to let the game flow and is loathe to blow his whistle. GTFO. Rubbish grandstanding card.
  11. Forcefield Peter Fenwicke (45)

He evened the ledger with the Thrush card. You can't say he didn't warn the Rebels, pedantic or not.

Not the greatest game to watch, but at least it was a contest. Rebels locks look great value at a time we really need some to step up. FLW impressed as well, but I can't help but think he'd be better at 6. Ralston could be really good in a few years. Liked what Cowan had to offer.
  12. Dctarget Geoff Shaw (53)

I really think Naisarani was the difference tonight. Glad he was fit, makes so many metres in contact.
  13. Scooter Vay Wilson (31)

Rebels have definitely missed Isi.
  14. Scooter Vay Wilson (31)

Forcefield I have no problem with either yellow card. The Rebels had previously been warned for too many penalties.

Thrush penalised for cynical penalty on try line.
  15. Dan54 Andrew Slack (58)

And that could be why perhaps Lance is not looking that flash, though I had to say Lance was ok last night.
  16. Dan54 Andrew Slack (58)

Agree , seems to me a draw was quite a fair result.
  17. Rugbynutter39 Mark Loane (55)

Rebels backline looked pretty ordinary last night outside of To’omua and agree I think Meakes part of the reason

Like to see more of Deegan - maybe Deegan 10 and To’omua 12 and drop Meakes to the bench
  18. Rebels3 Ken Catchpole (46)

I think the way the game is going Meakes would be better transitioning to a 13. 12s now are either massive ball carriers or a genuine all rounder in the Stewart/Simone role. His strengths are his short passing game and footwork at the line, I think it could be perfect for creating space for his outside man in the 13 channel. He’s also a very good defender, probably the best of those playing 12, I think what he does in this space could be performed at 13
    Dan54 likes this.
  19. Forcefield Peter Fenwicke (45)

I remember Meakes being a really handy player back at the Force and combining well with Lance in particular. He's a good all rounder. I just wonder if he wouldn't be better suited to a passing 10 rather than a running/tackling 10 like Toomua.
  20. molman Nicholas Shehadie (39)

I would love them to try this and actually stick with it for a couple of games. Having a genuine second playmaker at 12 I feel would allow them to find those edges better.

There was a lot of space on numerious occassions and whilst Toomua overall had a good game in many ways I still question his vision and ability to see genuine opportunities at times.

I'm really not sure Kellaway is 13 for me either.