• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

24 Team World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't see how Hong Kong has no potential. It's one of the richest unions in the world, there's a lot of corporate support, and the population is over 7 million. Their playing base is bigger than some nations that are participating in the world cup and surely there's a lot of potential to grow the game among the local population.

I bet there'll be a Super Rugby franchise in Hong Kong sometime in the next 10 years.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well, if you put a bit of credence on published player numbers, Thailand has three times as many as Hong Kong.

So we can expect a Thai based team pretty soon, eh?

It is about as likely.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
We can dream, Can't we?

For mine, the dream/nightmare/drug induced hallucination is that Super Rugby goes the whole hog and looks for 6 new teams next time around.

You then go for 3 Conferences, each with 2 divisions of 6 teams.

Everybody in your own division twice for 6 Games.

Everybody in the other division of your conference once for 10 games.

Everybody in one division of the other two conferences for 18 games.

Division toppers make playoffs, with two wildcards, the Conference Toppers host the Quarters with one lucky Division topper also getting a home final.

While I'm throwing shit at the wall, that'd be, for mine, 2 Argie teams in the Saffa Conference, 2 Japanese teams and either a 3rd Asian side or a 6th Aussie side in this conference, and for the Kiwis, well, maybe instead of putting millions into one-off test matches, the Island Governments and World Rugby could support Super Sides?

Yes, I know, Lunacy. But it's a forum, where would forums be without visionaries/idiots?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well, if you put a bit of credence on published player numbers, Thailand has three times as many as Hong Kong.

It is about as likely.

It's no where near as likely. Hong Kong is already the 24th ranked team in the world and its union generates millions every year through the always sold out HK Sevens. It has existing commercial relationships and a pretty decent rugby stadium for a team to play out of. If a Super Rugby team can do okay in a place like Perth then why not Hong Kong?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Interesting to see a few articles come out simultaneous to suggestion of the plate/shield. Obviously there's consensus for it and there just needs to be consensus on the format. Don't think there should be multiples like in 7's, just one for the teams that don't qualify.

T

TOCC

It is about as likely.

I'm not entirely sure on the authenticity of those player numbers, however Hong Kong has an established HPU structure and long time sponsorship and partnership connections. They also have a proven record at international level compared to Thailand.

If Wales and Scotland are entitled to run Independent teams on the international scene then so should Hong Kong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
My plan:

1) Stay with 16 teams
2) Only 1 - 3 plus the host qualify for the next tournament - making the bronze playoff meaningful
3) Have a plate knock out for the 9 - 16 teams played mid week so that every team in the world cup gets an opportunity at 1 and done games.
4) Between the world cups all of the tier 1 nations that didnt finish 1 - 3 are now involved in the qualifying on a home and away basis thereby spreading the word globally. Maybe coming in at the second cut of the qualifying.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think adding another 4 teams has merit given work IRB and world rugby done in providing tier 2 with more professional coaching and IRB comps etc - big tick for IRB efforts but more still needed.

But that said I can't probably see it for RWC 2019 as already some concerns of filling stadiums given Japan not one of the traditional major rugby nations. I get the 25m watching their own national team etc but are we going to get a stack of japanese going out to watch other tier 2 nations play.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My plan:

1) Stay with 16 teams
2) Only 1 - 3 plus the host qualify for the next tournament - making the bronze playoff meaningful
3) Have a plate knock out for the 9 - 16 teams played mid week so that every team in the world cup gets an opportunity at 1 and done games.
4) Between the world cups all of the tier 1 nations that didnt finish 1 - 3 are now involved in the qualifying on a home and away basis thereby spreading the word globally. Maybe coming in at the second cut of the qualifying.

Don't agree with this - as struggle for tier 2 teams that don't automatically qualify means hard for them to blood youngsters over next 4 years when trying to just qualify. Hence, opportunities to reward tier 2 sides like Georgia who finished 3rd and automatically qualified for 2019 RWC is huge. They can focus more on blooding other players now and building depth and good rewards for their efforts.

Really happy personally with top 3 of every pool automatically qualifiying

I also think plate knockout may struggle commercially so if was to do this would have to do on more limited basis...and not sure is priority......

Status
Not open for further replies.