• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2nd Test, Australia vs South Africa, 22-26 Nov - Adelaide Oval

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm kinda glad that Watto was left out. I don't think he is able to command a spot on his batting alone. He is at his best when he is operating as an all-rounder, so if he isn't fit to do both batting and bowling, then he isn't fit.

Realistically, the selectors have done the right thing here. Give Watto a chance to be fully fit for Perth, while giving the guys under pressure a chance to cement their spot. If the thought of Watto potentially taking their spot doesn't spur Warner and maybe Quiney to perform, then nothing will.

Yep, absolutely. He's great with the bat, but not good enough to be in there as a batsman alone. If he can't bowl, he can't play -- simple as that. Because if his calf isn't right, it's going to restrict him in the field as well as with the wand. I think the lessons have been learned when it comes to taking half crocked players into test matches.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I disagree that Watson isn't good enough to be there on his batting alone. After Clarke, he's been our most consistent batsman in the last few years. I'd pick him for his batting ahead of Quiney in a heartbeat and I've never been a Watson fan.

I agree that he should have been left out though. If he's not fit enough to bowl, how well will he go if he needs to bat for several hours. Watson has shown over many years that he is injury prone and that niggles turn into season long injuries. He is not the sort of guy who can get through one game with a niggle and then is 100% fit for the next test. He is the opposite.

In other news, Vernon Philander is out with a bad back. Kleinveldt comes in for his second test.

In even more news, I fly to Adelaide this afternoon to attend days two and three. Can't wait!

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well, after Quiney's duck, I think I know who Watson will be replacing come Perth.

BH, Watson is a great short form batsmen, but he lacks the ability to hang around and chalk up big scores in the test arena. His technique is good, but his conversion rate is appalling for a top order batsmen. However, seeing as our top order has been quite shaky, you would take a bloke that consistently scores 40-50-60 at the moment.

Now Ponting is out. Fuck. It's up to Clarkie again! First Kallis scores a ton against us at the Gabba, now he is swinging the ball and getting wickets! Christ he is a good player.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, Watson is a great short form batsmen, but he lacks the ability to hang around and chalk up big scores in the test arena. His technique is good, but his conversion rate is appalling for a top order batsmen. However, seeing as our top order has been quite shaky, you would take a bloke that consistently scores 40-50-60 at the moment.

I still think his statistics in the last few years make him one of our most successful batsmen. Unfortunately those statistics aren't that great as 2010 in particular was a diabolical year for our test team.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think I put the mocker on Kallis. He has gone off with what looks like a hammy problem. Pulled up in his delivery stride.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If he has done his hammy properly that is a massive blow and not just to their bowling attack.

There are no more runners in international cricket.

Kallis is such a resilient old bastard. I won't be surprised if he miraculously pulls through even with an injury that would cripple most other players.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Funniest description of a ball I've seen for a while:

du Plessis to Warner, SIX, that's village, absolutely rubbish, a high full toss which Warner hammers off the front foot into oblivion over the square leg boundary. The ball has been lost and they will bring a replacement out

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From the same cricinfo commentary...

Warner took 14 balls to go from 67 to 100 after lunch.

It would appear that South Africa are providing a second lunch involving equal serves of meat pies and absolute fruit.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
SA are in taters Kalis goes in the first session and now Stayne leaves the field mid over not looking good.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This is unbelievable really. Can't remember too many times seeing 400+ scored in a day in Australia. Clarke's 20 short of yet another double hundred. Feel for the Saffers though, injuries have not helped their cause one bit.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
what a flat track bully that clarke is ;) Clarke brings up his 4th score this year of 200 or more he is now 200 off 226 balls!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
and the Very next ball Hussey bring up his 18th test 100 with a six! 100 off 122 balls!!! Go Mr Cricket!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hussey is Bowled by Stayn in the second last over of the day on 103. At stumps on day 1 the Aussies are 5/482 what a day Michael Clarke take a bow.

Status
Not open for further replies.