• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2nd Test, Australia vs South Africa, 22-26 Nov - Adelaide Oval

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Becoming the skipper is the best thing that has ever happened to Clarke. This is unreal. 4 double hundreds in a calendar year, fuck me not even the Don did that. Clarke doesn't even have an average this series, as he is yet to get out!

Nothing went right for SA today. Philander injured overnight, Kallis injured when he was showing good form with the ball, Warner takes them apart, Clarke plunders another double ton off them, then Huss chips in with a lazy hundred. I have never seen a day of test cricket like this. Fuck 20/20, test cricket is where it is at!

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh, and the SA bowlers got treated like park bowlers today. They had no answer. I just hope our boys don't go the same way when we are out in the field.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
You can never judge the quality of a firts innnings until both teams bat, but even still - WOW, what a day of cricket for Aus! Steve Waugh would have wet himself at the mental disintegration of the proteas. Good to see Warner get some runs, same again next time please.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Dead right Mark, but it's easy to forget that when Clarke walked in we were in trouble. He's really taken to heart the lesson from Warney that when the bowling is on top, you get even more aggressive. I can understand the viewpoint: you're going to get out in all likelihood, so you might as well cash in as much as you can while you're out there. You may even create a bit of mayhem while doing it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah that has been the best thing about Clarke's last two innings. When he has come to the crease it has been 3/20 and 3/50. So he has had to ride out a long period where the opposition are on top.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well the tail is in the process of capitulating. At this rate we will be all out by lunch. I blame the BH influence, he said he was going to be in the crowd today! ;)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
And we did indeed get rolled before lunch. Still, a total of 550 isn't bad, but I have a feeling we're going to need every one of those runs.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
With the scoring rate on the first day, any result is still possible in this game and the Saffers would be feeling a little better about things today. Should be a good track to bat on tomorrow and probably not start to break up until we bat a second time (which I think we will). A good chance that the game will still be in doubt come the last afternoon.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Love the newsreaders asking the question "is Clarke our greatest ever cricketer?" It shows how farcical (seems to be a GAGR buzzword of late huh?) the media are. Anything for a 2 second soundbite and possible ratings despite the ridiculousness of the claim. Now Clarke is doing extremely well and his batting atm is sublime but is he our greatest ever? No, he would struggle for a look in in my top 10. 2 or 3 more years of this and i will reassess.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ludicrous isn't it. I tend to judge a player in terms of the overall pecking order at the end of their career, as it encompasses all the ups and downs. No use coming out all guns blazing only to fade quickly. Consistent performance over a long period of time is the key. That's why Bradman, Chappell (G), Harvey, Ponsford, Border, Waugh (S), Hayden, Ponting etc are considered greats. If Clarke keeps it up he'll be in that company too, but not yet.

He's still class though.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
5/241. Don't want to look to far ahead but i don't think Clarke should enforce the follow on if it becomes available. Still a great batting track and it would be good to see Quiney and Ponting have another chance. If they both fail again drop them both for Perth. Bring Khwaja into 3 and Watson at 4.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Its delicately poised. Aus with (some) runs on the board but SA with the momentum and the fitter contingent of players. The first session tomorrow will probably decide this test.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah the Clarke-Huss partnership is crucial. Their performances have papered over the cracks of our top 4 (how is this for a stat- in three innings Australia have scored 1226 runs, and our 3 and 4 have contributed a combined total of 29).

I still think anything over 300 will be a formidable total to chase, as the pitch is starting to look dangerous. The Saffa quicks were getting plenty of movement, and Tahir was turning the ball a fair way.

I couldn't pick a winner at this point. A lot hinges on the fitness of Pattinson, he will be crucial with both bat and ball.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Patterson contributed with the bat which is good given he can't bowl. I hope aus win tomorrow for the obvious reasons and that it will force South Africa to play some more aggressive cricket in Perth. My tip is heilfenhaus will shine tomorrow.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the SMH: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/worst-bowling-figures-ever-20121125-2a192.html

WORST TEST MATCH BOWLING FIGURES
Imran Tahir (South Africa) 0-260 v Australia, 2012
Khan Mohammad (Pakistan) 0-259 v West Indies, 1958
Nicky Boje (South Africa) 0-221 v Sri Lanka, 2006
Ray Price (Zimbabwe) 0-211 v South Africa, 2001
Rajindra Dhanraj (West Indies) 0-191 v England, 1995
Devon Malcolm (England) 0-188 v West Indies, 1990
Ray Price (Zimbabwe) 0-187 v Australia, 2003
Ian Salisbury (England) 0-184 v Pakistan, 1992
Maurice Tate (England) 0-184 v Australia, 1929
Danish Kaniera (Pakistan) 0-183 v Sri Lanka, 2009

Surprised there aren't more bowlers from the Tier 2 Test nations like NZ, Zimbabwe, and Bangladesh listed in this list of infamy.

Gotta fell a bit sorry for the poor buggers on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.