• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd Place Play Off - Wallabies v Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
In writing this I have started to question what motivates players and what the Australian jersey really means. Some would say this game is meaningless, that it is a waste of time and you know at times I would probably agree. But the more I think about it the more I think this game is one of the most meaningful this team will ever play. There is no prize for coming third, no glory for the third place getter. The only thing you can take from this game is pride in the jersey.

It is ironic that in this modern 4 year cycle of rugby, the only game that is a throwback to the standalone test matches of old, is the 3rd place play off at the very competition that killed them off.

With that in mind, the team I would like to see:

1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Horwil
5. Sharpe
6. Higgers
7. Pocock
8. Samo

9. Genia
10. Beale/Cooper/Barnes
11. Ioane
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Horne
14. Turner/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Beale/ACC/Barnes

I dont think mccabe will play because he need shoulder surgery.

Play for pride in the gold jersey if nothing else.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
JOC (James O'Connor) is too small for 12.

According to Mad Robbie.

But I would throw on all the reserves and say - have a game, win it, drink champagne.

P

pete88

I'd like to see the most likely team to win the game to play it, not an experimental one. My biggest problem with Deans as a coach, and I'm something of a defender, is he doesn't think test match to test match. Beating Wales is a total must, and I don't want an experimental side that doesn't take it seriously and we have another Samoa result.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
That midfield has me salivating, but simultaneously terrified when I think what fun Jaime Roberts would have against it.

B

BRIX

Sharpe needs to start, and Burgo needs at least a half an hour if Genia keeps getting smashed back at the ruck due to his nonchalance and incompetent forwards. Slowing down our own ball was truly depressing. Can't believe we didn't put him on tonight.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Sharpe needs to start, and Burgo needs at least a half an hour if Genia keeps getting smashed back at the ruck due to his nonchalance and incompetent forwards. Slowing down our own ball was truly depressing. Can't believe we didn't put him on tonight.

I agree about burgo. I dont know what has happened to genia but he has been hot and cold ever since the 2010 reds campaign.

M

max11247

Empty the benches and let the reserves have a go...

1. Salesi Maafu
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Ben Alexander
4. Dan Vickerman
5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
6. Ben McCalman
7. David Pocock
8. Scott Higgenbotham
9. Luke Burgess
10. James O'Connor
11. Digby Ioane
12. Berrick Barnes
13. Rob Horne
14. Lachlan Turner
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Bench: Slipper, Moore, Horwill, Hodgson, Phipps, Cooper, Samo

P

pete88

Maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong but sending out the second XV is asking for a pasting, particularly as it will make them shut off psychologically. The Wallabies need to get in to the Australian Cricket team mindset of 5-15 years ago: every test needs to be won.

I would like to see Sharpe get his 100th, but the main reason for that is he's one of our best 3 locks.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong but sending out the second XV is asking for a pasting, particularly as it will make them shut off psychologically. The Wallabies need to get in to the Australian Cricket team mindset of 5-15 years ago: every test needs to be won.

I would like to see Sharpe get his 100th, but the main reason for that is he's one of our best 3 locks.

Agree. Even if I would much prefer you put the seconds out

M

max11247

Play every game in the gold jersey as if it were to be your last.

This will be most certainly Nathan Sharpe's last game, and you know his attitude will be spot on...as well as the rest of the team. I think the reserves will do us proud.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Play every game in the gold jersey as if it were to be your last.

This will be most certainly Nathan Sharpe's last game, and you know his attitude will be spot on...as well as the rest of the team. I think the reserves will do us proud.

Don't we play Wales again not long after the RWC?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I would like to see:
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Sharpe (C)
5. Vickerman
6. Higgenbotham
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Burgess
10. O'Connor
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. Horne
14. Turner
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Ma'afu
18. Simmons
19. McCalman
20. Hodgson
21. Phipps
22. Barnes

Cooper has to go. Final WC appearance for Burgess, Sharpe, Samo and Vickerman. Send them out of the WC in style with a win.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Welsh are gonna be out for blood after their last game, we better friggin turn up for this one, or else we're gonna get thrashed. Reckon it will be a lot better game than the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.