• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd test Aus V SA, Perth 30 Nov to 4 Dec

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Faf to play some Aus local cricket
Sport24
Faf joins Renegades for T20

2012-11-28 07:43

Melbourne - South Africa second-Test hero Faf du Plessis will play a single match for the Melbourne Renegades against Shane Warne's Melbourne Stars next month in Australia's Big Bash League Twenty20 competition.

Renegades coach Simon Helmot said du Plessis had agreed to play in the December 7 tournament-opening match and would be an all-round asset to the team. "Faf's one of the best fielders in world cricket and an explosive T20 batsman," Helmot said.

West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels will replace du Plessis in the Renegades lineup for the remainder of the season.

Du Plessis scored a match-saving 110 not out on Monday's final day of his Test debut to secure a draw for South Africa in the second test.

Look like he got legend status in Aus in one test. Faf learn his trade in Affies like AB de Villiers. Cricket these days is just as popular as rugby in afrikaans schools and around here even your disadvantage schools like Klein Nederburg (Chester Williams alam mater) and New Orleans is the same strength in cricket compare to the bigger schools like Paarl Gym, Boishaai , Paul Roos or Boland Landbou. Usually the soutie schools in Slaapstad like Wynberg (Kallis), Bishops (Gibbs) Rondebosch (Trott) is very strong in the sport but not anymore. Paarl Boishaai won last year the SA Schools T20.

His fact file:
Fact File:

Full Name: Francois du Plessis
Nickname: Faf
Date of Birth: July 13, 1984
Place of Birth: Pretoria
Franchise: Nashua Titans
Role: Middle-order batsman
Batting Style: Right hand
Bowling Style: Right arm leg-break
Debut: vs. India, Sahara Park Newlands, January 18, 2011
Test Caps: N/A
Test Cap No: N/A
ODI Caps: 26
ODI Cap No: 101
ODI Shirt No: 18
T20 Caps: 4
T20 Cap No: 52

and more about cricket at Affies (Fourie du Preez, Spies alma maters)
SA Schoolsport
Cricket: Affies Rise as a Cricket Powerhouse

Coach Deon Botes on Affies’ rise as a cricket powerhouse

The rise of cricket in traditional Afrikaans-speaking schools has been a feature of the development of the noble game in this country for a number of decades, probably having its birth in the late 1970s.

Today, there are legions of cricketers with Afrikaans surnames dominating the South African scene – and many come from schools that had long placed a far greater emphasis on rugby and athletics.
To explore this further, it is interesting when looking at the scores in brief from Coke Weeks, the premier national inter-provincial cricket week in the country and featuring South Africa’s best U19 cricketers, to note just how many of the outstanding performers – and players who make the national U19, SA Schools and SA Colts/Academy teams – come from Afrikaans schools.

And one such school making a massive impact at the highest level isAfrikaanse Hoër Seunskool, more commonly known amongst South Africa’s sports-mad community as Affies.
Right now, no less than four Affies-educated cricketers are in the national set-up, from SA limited-overs captain AB de Villiers to Proteas representatives Faf du Plessis, Jacques Rudolph and Heino Kuhn.
Affies first XI head coach Deon Botes is at the helm of the Pretoria school’s cricket programme and he offers much insight into Affies’ rise as a cricket power.

Now in his 13th year as Affies’ first XI coach, Botes (40) hails from Empangeni High School in KwaZulu-Natal and played for Natal Schools’ and then Northerns at U21 and Colts level following his decision to study at Tuks in Pretoria.
The B.Comm marketing graduate who also has an honours degree in business management, says he is a very technical coach who enjoys developing players.
“I was still playing a bit when I first started coaching and found that I got more satisfaction from the coaching, as with schoolboys you can be a role model, a bit of a father figure who can positively influence their lives while they are still at an impressionable age,” Botes says.
“Also, if you can’t do it as a player on the field anymore, to coach is the next step. It keeps you outdoors and in touch with the game.”

The coach says Affies cricket began taking off in the late 1990s and a major part in that success was the contribution made by Pretoria’s primary schools, who started taking the sport seriously.
“Pretoria’s primary schools have got cricket academies now, and good coaches, so it makes it a lot easier for us when they get to high school. A lot of the coaches there are Varsity students who have played the game at a decent level.”
Another factor in Affies’ ongoing growth as a force in cricket has been the school’s determination to test theirfirst XI against the best in the country. “Every year, Affies are fortunate to be invited by our good friends Maritzburg College to their high-calibre Oppenheimer Michaelmas Cricket Week and we are privileged to be part of it,” Botes says.

Unlike many other top cricket schools, Affies do suffer from a lack of space to accommodate practices, but their two fields are supplemented by the hiring of facilities at Pretoria Rugby Club.
Rugby, of course, still dominates at Affies – not surprising when one considers the school is in the heartland of Blue Bulls country and regularly produces one of the top schoolboy sides in the country - but cricket has steadily built up its own special niche in the school’s sporting portfolio.
Interestingly, Botes says that because it is probably the most expensive sport at the school, cricket has a bigger budget than rugby, although it must be said that the rugby section has bigger sponsors.

Affies have 30 rugby teams but cricket has now reached the 18 mark, which for an Afrikaans school is a significant amount, says Botes.
“Traditionally, our greatest rivals are Pretoria Boys’ High but we also really look forward to playing Maritzburg College every season,” says Botes. “And then of course there’s Grey College, as well as our annual tour to the Western Cape where we play Wynberg, Rondebosch and Paul Roos. The Cape Town schools always have very good sides.”
Botes also cites the participation in both the Pretoria and Johannesburg leagues as a reason why Affies is forced to rise to the challenge against quality opposition ever year. “Another big rival is KES, so it’s great in that in about 40 matches a year we play everywhere in the country and get exposure against the best sides in South Africa.”

Affies also went on tour overseas last year and had a very successful time of it, winning seven out of eight 50-over matches in England before losing one Twenty20 match against Holland U19 before winning the 50-over match against the same side by 100-odd runs.
Apart from Botes, Affies even had a bowling coach at Oppenheimer Week, and it is clear that the school’s forward-thinking approach to the game is standing it in good stead.

Long may this great school’s cricketing success continue - South African cricket is much the better for it.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't see how Kallis can play unless his hamstring improves dramatically.

I don't think it would be in the spirit of the game to pick someone who is not going to field at all and would then bat at 7.

Not if he he stays in the slips all the time. Which he does anyway. Sounds like he will play but not bowl.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I actually love watching Aus vs SA more than watching the Ashes nowadays. The contests are extremely intense, with neither side giving an inch. I suppose it is the cricket version of SA vs NZ in the rugby. Seems we switch roles with the Kiwis come summer time!

It is a shame that we don't get 5 test series between Aus and SA. However if a 5 test series means one country losing their boxing day and new years tests for either country, then it is too much of a sacrifice. The boxing day and new years tests are a tradition that both countries hold dear, and they shouldn't be messed with.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Instead we are spoonfed the T20 crap which quite frankly I cannot stand.

I get that times move on but jeez there is no way it comes even remote close to real test match drama.

I must admit that I tuned out of day 5 thinking we were goneski.

I got an SMS from SA an hour before stumps from my Mom asking me if I was watching. I ended up with Mom on skype for the last 45 minutes of the game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
By the way, the weather is absolutely feral over here today. We've had a shitload of rain and winds of up to 120kmh. Should settle down by Friday.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
winds of up to 120kmh. Should settle down by Friday.

I had a quick look at BOM this morning. Chance of rain on friday morning then clearing for the rest of the match.

Wind is predicted to be between 15kmh and 45kmh for a lot of the time. Is that usual in Perth? Any idea how that will effect play?

Is just the usual doctor? fast men want to bowl down wind and spinners get good drift into it?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Word is that Siddle and Hilfenhaus haven't recovered sufficiently and will be rested.

That means we have an all new bowling attack featuring Starc and Johnson with either Hazlewood or Hastings as the third quick.

Scary situation to be in going into the deciding test!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think we may actually play 4 quicks, so Starc, Hastings, Hazlewood and Johnson will all get a run.

Not sure how this will pan out. Will bringing in 4 fresh quicks pay dividends against a tired and (partially) wounded Saffa attack? Or will we be hurt by two debutants and one who has been in the wilderness for the year?

Not sure, but this test is looming as a CRACKER. New faces, series decider and Punter's last test. Can't wait.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd play Lyon on the basis that he has some experience which will be useful.

I'd really worry about two debutants in our bowling attack. Hastings at least got runs in the last shield match so he'll have some confidence.

If Watson is right to bowl (which reports are saying he is), I don't see that Hastings adds much.

troxler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Last game for Punter with his retirement announced!!

Absolute legend and will be sorely missed by Aus fans. Hope the boys can win this one for him.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA have fond memories playing there last time. Chasing down 414 with Smith and AB scoring big. Our lot wont mind a quick surface. Steyn and kie will be well rested.
Sport24
Steyn: Real Proteas at WACA

2012-11-28 22:53

Cape Town - Proteas quickie Dale Steyn says they will show at the WACA in Perth why they are considered as the best bowling line-up in world cricket, reports the Beeld website.

Steyn said they simply cannot afford not to fire on all cylinders with the world No 1 crown at stake. South Africa's bowlers struggled in the first two drawn Tests, taking only 23 out of a possible 40 Australian wickets.

"It was two Tests in which we didn't fare to well, but it wasn't for a lack of trying. Just like the batsmen try to score a century in every Test, we (bowlers) also aim for five wickets or more - especially against the best teams in the world in one of the toughest touring destinations."

South Africa will surrender their No 1 Test ranking to the home side if they lose the final Test, and Steyn says that thought has spurred the bowlers on to up their performances.

"There's a lot more urgency because we realise the whole series now depends on what happens in the next five days.

"Hopefully we can get our bowling right from the get go in Perth," said Steyn.

Play at the WACA starts at 04:30 (SA time) on Friday.
04h30 means we supporters can go well rested watching the drama.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Still raining over here. Don't be surprised if we lose some time today. The weather looks to be improving over the next few days though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The best thing about the Perth test: you get to watch the last session when you get home from work.
The worst thing about the Perth test: you have to wait until 1:30pm for the bloody thing to start.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The best thing about the Perth test: you get to watch the last session when you get home from work.
The worst thing about the Perth test: you have to wait until 1:30pm for the bloody thing to start.
even being in perth i hate it haha. When its over east i get to work at 7:30 perth time just as the cricket is starting click the radio on and go hard all day. WTF am i going to do till 10:30???

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They will probably wait until just before the toss.

I'm hearing that they will play 5 bowlers and Rudolph will be dropped.

That would make the team:

Smith, Petersen, Amla, Kallis, de Villiers, du Plessis, Philander, Steyn, Kleinveldt, Morkel, Peterson.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
That would make the team:

Smith, Petersen, Amla, Kallis, de Villiers, du Plessis, Philander, Steyn, Kleinveldt, Morkel, Peterson.

Sounds like you could be close to the mark there. If that is the case, Peterson will probably bat after du Plessis.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Definitely a surprise to me.

Hazlewood is far more of a strike bowler than Hastings.

Pretty skinny bowling lineup having an all rounder as our third quick at the WACA.

Status
Not open for further replies.