• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd test Aus V SA, Perth 30 Nov to 4 Dec

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
BH, that would be fourth quick wouldn't it?

The selectors are taking a massive gamble here. I hope for their sake it pays off.

EDIT: I see what you mean. Oh dear, I think we've cooked it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For Australia: Hazlewood 12th man meaning that our bowling attack is Starc, Johnson, Hastings, Watson and Lyon. A surprise to me only picking two frontline quicks. Hazlewood was an obvious selection in my thinking.

For South Africa: Robin Peterson, Philander and Elgar are in (Elgar making his test debut). Tahir, Rudolph and Kleinveldt out.

South Africa have won the toss and will bat.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Up until now I've thought Invers was bang on the money selection wise. I really, really question what we've done here though.

With that said, I've just looked at Hastings at domestic level with the ball this year and it's pretty respectable. Fingers crossed for him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The bowling attack already looks pretty pedestrian. I don't get the Hastings selection. He is so similar in bowling style to Watson but isn't as good at swinging the ball. He was way too short in his first spell.

Starc was also too short in his first spell.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not impressed by Hastings. Too short and wide, and he rarely troubles the batsman. That second spell from Starc was magic and it was as simple as pitching the ball up. A bit of swing helps too.

SA 3/63 at lunch. I was a bit puzzled by Smith electing to bat, however this pitch has runs in it if the batsman is good enough.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Two right on lunch, fantastic. If the Saffers had gone in one down I'd be a little worried that we hadn't cashed in enough. Three down is a lot better. You got to take wickets early at the WACA or you could be chasing leather all day. The cooler weather should keep some juice in the pitch for longer though.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cowan has a big miss on Amla. Port because we would be dominating if it had of been held.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
And no it's five for with Hastings getting a peach of a delivery. Put the foot on the throat boys

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Johnson has seemed to have dropped the 'pie' from his repertoire. He is pitching it up and is reasonably accurate. Still the odd ball that strays onto the Right Handers pads, but not too bad. Starc is the pick of the bowlers so far though. That session before lunch really set the tone for the afternoon session so far.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Starc surely has to get another crack soon. He did the damage before lunch and has to get a chance at the tail.

Go Aussies!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Johnson would be my pick of the bowlers today. Unlucky not to get Amla out & pretty much had Smith rattled jumping all over the shop which I believe softened him up for Watson who then claimed his scalp.

Starc has been good too though.

The over rate is really slow.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Johnson would be my pick of the bowlers today. Unlucky not to get Amla out & pretty much had Smith rattled jumping all over the shop which I believe softened him up for Watson who then claimed his scalp.

Starc has been good too though.

The over rate is really slow.

Agree. Both look more likely to get wickets than Hilfy or Siddle at the moment. Hastings has been improving as he has pitched it up more.

Would be happy for Starc and Johnson to partner either of the guys left out for this test vs the Sri Lankans. Hastings will need 8 wickets to look like keeping his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.