• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A bit of mungo bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Paul Pottinger is Deputy Editor of Carsguide. His heretical views in no way reflect those of The Daily Telegraph, which knows that rugby league is the greatest game in the world. Miranda Devine returns next week.

I love the article - the disclaimer at the end is pure Rugby League

S

spooony

Rugby League

A game that is enjoyed by men who love men. There are many opportunities to shove your head into your teammates anus, many players just like to sniff each others privates. 'Reach arounds' are also permitted in the rules and actively encouraged at the formation of each scrum. This game is no fun for spectators and very few actually attend games.

Players are encouraged to fall over every couple of meters and make a rutting action, other players are then encouraged to hug them, this goes on and on ad infenitum until a player falls over beyond a white line. This is an excuse for more hugging then all of the fellows retire to the dressing sheds to share a beer and a single bar of soap.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Whilst creatively expressed, it's hard to find any factual errors in this article.

It's called Mungoball for a reason - big blokes for whom the subtelty of a ruck, maul, lineout and a real scrum is a little taxing may find refuge in the simplicity of uncontested possession and the relief of being allowed to climb back to ones feet in order to deliver the ball to their team-mates unmolested - absent a forearm to the face or a digit in the rectum of course. The more nimble fellows have a couple less defenders to deal with too. And the fans can enjoy the blissful simplicity of only worrying about forward passes and high tackles with all of those pesky and complicated rules that clutter Rugby having been removed from League, along with all the annoying, confusing and tricky bits of the game they dealt with.

Mungoball players and observers get to enjoy a game that is to sport much as Ikea is to home decoration - a simplified and lower quality version of real furniture. Sells like crazy though in certain markets and good luck to them, clever little Swedes. Anyone who's not a Uni student or inner-urban cafe dweller realises the stuff is crap of course, but it fills a niche.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
You think THAT'S the league demographic?
No. That's the Ikea demographic. Someone going to Uni or having the means to live in the Inner City and buy over-priced coffee on a regular basis usually predicates against an ability to tolerate a game as intellectually barren as League. It was a metaphor in which I was making an implicit comparison between two unlike things that actually have something in common.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I like it how Paul is being accused of being a Union fan, a football fan, an AFL fan, a lawn bowls fan and a tennis fan as if that explains why he has written the article and shows why he doesn't like League.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Haha that league forum is just magnificent WJ. A few of my favourites:

Rugby union princesses can starve on their lack of State of Origin.

Everyone should be leaving an appropriate comment or ringing the Telegraph to complain.

If you or any one you know has a subscription to car guides please make sure they cancel it. Also tell them why you have done it. See how long he keeps his job. This will show this merkin who has the power here.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
^^ Bhahah "Rugby union princesses can starve on their lack of State of Origin."

You can keep your 3 "State of Origin" match’s a year. Ill keep watching true international players against other true international players compete all around the world all year in a truly international sport.

Dreamer!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I like it how Paul is being accused of being a Union fan, a football fan, an AFL fan, a lawn bowls fan and a tennis fan as if that explains why he has written the article and shows why he doesn't like League.

The only sport he mentions that he follows is MMA. The preciousness runs strong in League circles.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I just like how there calling it a test of David gallops leadership and saying he is useless. Apparently the game of rugby Katie is bigger than news LTD and the telegraph needs league and not the other way round.
Brilliant stuff.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
They certainly are a funny lot. The DT has been the flag bearer for the game for many years as have 9, yet with the blanket coverage they have enjoyed they seem to feel constantly slighted by them. Needy, whinny lot to be honest.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
They seem a little confused and discombobulated:

Is this some kind of joke? Because I missed the punch-line.. - (Thats because there wasn't a guy on a drum kit to go "badum-tish!" to let you know when to laugh, sorry)

What is the point of this article? - (Its a social test. You failed)

Paul who? - (Adult literacy poster child)

Someone pinch your handbag mate? - (Insightful and relevant responses really add to the discussion I think)

Who is this guy? - (Its the meds. They can be a bit disorienting)

My mother always said, "If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all". I have no comment on this article - (And this would be, therefore, a Herring. Because it can't be a comment)

mate i would love to see you run out there with won of them running at ya - (Out where? Won of wat?)

Who won the AFL world cup? - (As opposed to the Rugby League "World Cup"?)

GO & GET A REAL JOB MATE! - (You want him working with you at McDonalds do you? I doubt you'd get on)

That,s me done with the Telegraph - (Hit 'em where it hurt,s. Good one.)

and you are ???? - (Another lad who missed his Ritalin)

Umm, ok then. Thanks for that. - (Comprehension not a strong suit then?)

I feel dumber after reading this (from Rummo of Dubbo. 'Nuf said)

This doesn't even make sense. - (That's because you're reading it upside down)

Paul Pottinger loves Lawn Bowl..... - (And he picks his nose and eats it!)

you are a muppet! - (Better than being a merkin I suppose)

PS - In order to better understand the obscure Mungoballeese phrase used - a merkin is "counterfeit hair for women's privy parts," or a "pubic hair wig." It's actually quite an esoteric reference for that lot. I was a bit impressed.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
They seem a little confused and discombobulated:

Is this some kind of joke? Because I missed the punch-line.. - (Thats because there wasn't a guy on a drum kit to go "badum-tish!" to let you know when to laugh, sorry)

What is the point of this article? - (Its a social test. You failed)

Paul who? - (Adult literacy poster child)

Someone pinch your handbag mate? - (Insightful and relevant responses really add to the discussion I think)

Who is this guy? - (Its the meds. They can be a bit disorienting)

My mother always said, "If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all". I have no comment on this article - (And this would be, therefore, a Herring. Because it can't be a comment)

mate i would love to see you run out there with won of them running at ya - (Out where? Won of wat?)

Who won the AFL world cup? - (As opposed to the Rugby League "World Cup"?)

GO & GET A REAL JOB MATE! - (You want him working with you at McDonalds do you? I doubt you'd get on)

That,s me done with the Telegraph - (Hit 'em where it hurt,s. Good one.)

and you are ???? - (Another lad who missed his Ritalin)

Umm, ok then. Thanks for that. - (Comprehension not a strong suit then?)

I feel dumber after reading this (from Rummo of Dubbo. 'Nuf said)

This doesn't even make sense. - (That's because you're reading it upside down)

Paul Pottinger loves Lawn Bowl..... - (And he picks his nose and eats it!)

you are a muppet! - (Better than being a merkin I suppose)

PS - In order to better understand the obscure Mungoballeese phrase used - a merkin is "counterfeit hair for women's privy parts," or a "pubic hair wig." It's actually quite an esoteric reference for that lot. I was a bit impressed.

This. I'm pretty sure he has a 'real' job. It may not be one this particular individual is accustomed to but certainly its legitimate enough. Sometimes you really need to take a step back and breathe before commenting. Well, that's assuming any of this lot possess the intellectual and emotional maturity for this concept to have actually occur to them. Probably not.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I'm informed by my mate that put me onto the league forum that is is programed so when one types the "c" word it replaces it with "merkin" nit sure they understand what it is.

P

ParraEElsNRL

Yet if a mungoballer wrote an article attacking vichyball this way, you guys would go off either huh?

Fucking hypocrites.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I'm informed by my mate that put me onto the league forum that is is programed so when one types the "c" word it replaces it with "merkin" nit sure they understand what it is.

Ah, now it all makes sense to me. Artificial Intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.