• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A bit of mungo bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Swat I'm probably being very favourable to Rugby in my ratios. I never really watched any Rugby outside of tests (a couple of Local Sydney games on TV at most) & the occasional game from my local suburban mens team when it used to have its own mens team (not any more sadly). I did watch NRL weekly & was a regular at Knights games, SOO was more important then than now despite what State was winning.

I talked to a mates younger brother, he asked me what sport I played, I said Rugby Union, he said quite bluntly & straight faced "I play League because I'm not smart enough to play Rugby". A lot of this is down to how a kid is raised "too hard dont try" gets thrown around a lot I find. Poor media doesnt help as you say, nor does untrue stereotypes. Whether a kid goes on to play Rugby or not I think giving it a go through something like 'try rugby' is better than rejecting it outright because of some of the crap they've been fed about it.

Regarding the point about noticing Rugby more due to your brother I think family is a big deal too. I had family in both codes & I kind of had that whole "follow in their foot steps feeling" when I started training. Gender wise the female angle might be a bit different to the male angle as guys have always had contact sport as an option whereas for me seeing an ad for womens rugby for the first time was awesome because I hadnt seen anything available like it for womens sport. Not so sure if males would get so excited over a Rugby ad given its been available for males since inception. In terms of introducing Rugby to females is easier I find because that is the only contact sport choice, get them in straight away, they get hooked, then we've got them for life pretty much. The males are a bit tougher to get to try Rugby because of the options & I think a lot of the guys I know who come from predominant league families tend to get some stereotypes on Rugby drilled into them from a young age - like my buddies younger brother.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't know how it is as a woman but for me, I've never been able to play either sports (rare bone growth disorder - lame!). It has always been about the visual spectacle, and rugby is the one I find more watchable, simple.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I think the writer gets a little petty at the end of the article. I also think we need to be careful not to seem too condescending - not a good look

However,

He does bang a bunch of nails on the head, most notable for me is Australia's brain washing with this limited code (same goes for AFL). An unfortunate drain on sporting talent and money. Just imagine if.....

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I come from a strong League loving family. However, thanks to my father and his affinity for both codes I have always been exposed to Rugby and have always loved it. I did however, like many kids from SW Sydney started playing League as a tyke and was a diehard Sharks fan. This remained so until I turned 12 when all of a sudden I had a realization that League much like Soccer which I also played at the time wasn't for me and that Rugby was the game for me. This was helped by Foxtel and Super Rugby of course.

We went from watching the Footy show, Friday night football to exclusively Rugby. Never looked back and to be frank, I have very little time for League today. On the family front, many of the younger generation are avid Rugby fans.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think the writer gets a little petty at the end of the article. I also think we need to be careful not to seem too condescending - not a good look

However,

He does bang a bunch of nails on the head, most notably for me is Australia's brain washing with this limited code (same goes for AFL). An unfortunate drain on sporting talent and money. Just imagine if.....

I find League a extremely limited game to both play and watch but with the blanket coverage and hyperbole the game receives it occupies a near cultist fervency among many.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Don't know how it is as a woman but for me, I've never been able to play either sports (rare bone growth disorder - lame!). It has always been about the visual spectacle, and rugby is the one I find more watchable, simple.

I remember you mentioning the bone growth disorder that's really crap that you have to put up with a thing like that. I have a mate that has neurological issues as well as chronic fatigue, he basically without warning will get crippled by arthritis type symptoms in his joints, massive migranes, & just zero energy. He was previously very active, still loves sport despite his illnesses. It really sucks.

For mine I think the best spectator sports are ones that have plenty of dimensions to it, thats why I like cricket a lot. Darts I find can be addictive viewing too.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm still surprisingly active, just couldn't play contact sports, but still took up boxing (it's mostly if my leg bends backwards I'm fucked). Love my cricket though, this year me and the boys are going for our 3rd premiership in a row, only lost 1 game in 3 years.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I remember you mentioning the bone growth disorder that's really crap that you have to put up with a thing like that. I have a mate that has neurological issues as well as chronic fatigue, he basically without warning will get crippled by arthritis type symptoms in his joints, massive migranes, & just zero energy. He was previously very active, still loves sport despite his illnesses. It really sucks.

For mine I think the best spectator sports are ones that have plenty of dimensions to it, thats why I like cricket a lot. Darts I find can be addictive viewing too.

For mine, the multi dimensional nature of Rugby provides a completely different level of richness to the experience, something League have been steadfast in stripping bare for the sake of 'entertainment'. Made the game a farce because of it. I guess I'm bit of a traditionalist when it comes to my sports, I prefer Test cricket to t20 and ODI's.

P

ParraEElsNRL

Ok. Given that Vichy is a term used in association with France to describe the government of France that collaborated with the Axis Powers from July 1940 to August 1944, I am struggling with the reference to vichyball. Is it some hint that Rugby is illegitimate? Disloyal to some higher power or ideal? The Merkin thing made sense but this vichyball thing is too opaque for me.

Hang on. Just found this article http://www.rugby365.com/news/773654.htm posted here http://leaguefreak.createforumhosting.com/vichyball-violence-drives-player-away-t2240.html. Maybe its a reference to French Rugby in particular, but that doesn't explain it's wider use to describe Rugby in general.

Anyway, nevermind. OCD moment over.

And if a Mungoballer wrote an article as literate and witty as the one that has your panties in a twist Mr ParraEELsNRL, I would laugh and be impressed, if slightly incredulous as to the originality of the authorship. The vitriolic reaction you guys had sort of confirms one of the main points in the article about how ridiculously seriously you guys take yourselves.

It's like what I imagine watching a Radical Muslim Cleric reading The Satanic Verses II, the Illustrated Edition, would be like.

Good to see you head over to LU and educate yourself, I noticed you now know what a merkin is and what Vichyball represents, well done.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Delighted you're impressed with our knowledge of obscure subjects here on G&GR, PEN. And our worldliness.

Did you know Geoff Chapman trained a horse named "Merkin" many years ago? The racing names wallah cottoned on to the meaning of the name (probably got a heads up from some League Unlimited bright spark) and insisted on a change. Geoff, of course, played rugby for Australia.

P

ParraEElsNRL

Always, but I have been posting there for near on 9 years and they add up a bit in that time.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
This article (and it's response) is a lovely piece of satire, equal to that of Orwell's Animal Farm, or Chaplin's Great Dictator. Mr Pottinger plays right into the Rugby League supporter's demographic by simply challenging them at their game. Credit to him, he seems like a fantastic writer, and his underlying point of hypocrisy (as well as his surface point of atrocity) is relevant and truthful.

The simple fact is that Rugby League fans take an even more right-wing, fascist approach towards rugby, and then compare us to Nazis (which I believe is a complete farce in the grand scheme of things). They can dish it out, but cannot take it, and are constantly looking over their shoulder, worried that our game will overtake theirs. The reality is that it always has been ahead. Sure, we may not have a billion-dollar television rights deal, but the general player and supporter behaviour and decorum in our game is better than theirs. My brother used to be a Melbourne Storm fan, and when he tried to help Greg Inglis with his bags at an airport, he was told to "f*** off!". At a game in Manly, he was spat on by grown men. This type of thing would never happen at a Rugby Union game in Australia. I never look over my shoulder at Rugby League because I know the game does not have a worldwide presence at all, and it is so simple that there will always be a demographic of people looking for something more dynamic and interesting than five tackles and a kick.

Finally, words a 15 year old Rugby League fan would not understand from my post: satire, Orwell's Animal Farm, Chaplin's Great Dictator, demographic, fascist, decorum.

Just imagine if we took Animal Farm or The Great Dictator too seriously. We would end up with a response like that of the League Unlimited forums.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
This article (and it's response) is a lovely piece of satire, equal to that of Orwell's Animal Farm, or Chaplin's Great Dictator. Mr Pottinger plays right into the Rugby League supporter's demographic by simply challenging them at their game. Credit to him, he seems like a fantastic writer, and his underlying point of hypocrisy (as well as his surface point of atrocity) is relevant and truthful.

The simple fact is that Rugby League fans take an even more right-wing, fascist approach towards rugby, and then compare us to Nazis (which I believe is a complete farce in the grand scheme of things). They can dish it out, but cannot take it, and are constantly looking over their shoulder, worried that our game will overtake theirs. The reality is that it always has been ahead. Sure, we may not have a billion-dollar television rights deal, but the general player and supporter behaviour and decorum in our game is better than theirs. My brother used to be a Melbourne Storm fan, and when he tried to help Greg Inglis with his bags at an airport, he was told to "f*** off!". At a game in Manly, he was spat on by grown men. This type of thing would never happen at a Rugby Union game in Australia. I never look over my shoulder at Rugby League because I know the game does not have a worldwide presence at all, and it is so simple that there will always be a demographic of people looking for something more dynamic and interesting than five tackles and a kick.

Finally, words a 15 year old Rugby League fan would not understand from my post: satire, Orwell's Animal Farm, Chaplin's Great Dictator, demographic, fascist, decorum.

Just imagine if we took Animal Farm or The Great Dictator too seriously. We would end up with a response like that of the League Unlimited forums.

For your heresy I do believe the likes of Parra above would henceforth label you a 'merkin'.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Go over and read what happened when I suggested they calm down and how it was a bit of satire and didn't warrant such a massive reaction.

It was savage.

Status
Not open for further replies.