• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A bit of mungo bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I almost agreed with everything you said #1 Tah but I've seen some pretty bad side line behaviour & brawls at local club Rugby games. What I will say though is that it doesnt seem to be as bad on average compared to League, IMO, this is going by the local league & rugby games I've viewed.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm not sure anyone can claim the moral high ground - anecdotes abound of bad behaviour by fans, players etc in any code.
The paranoia exhibited by League journos, administrators and some fans is somewhat bizarre. I don't follow League (used to) so generally ignore it. I can't understand why so many on the other side get so feral in their hate for Rugby, when they could just ignore it. I mean, if their great game is so complete, why do they care?
I agree with the short memory syndrome - League journos have systematically bashed Rugby for decades in print and electronic media, not to mention the pillaging of good players until Rugby became professional. Grow up and cop it on the chin, as they advocate all their "hard" men to do on the field.

P

ParraEElsNRL

Go over and read what happened when I suggested they calm down and how it was a bit of satire and didn't warrant such a massive reaction.

It was savage.

LOL, you call that savage?

Bah, that was nothing.

P

ParraEElsNRL

I'm not sure anyone can claim the moral high ground - anecdotes abound of bad behaviour by fans, players etc in any code.
The paranoia exhibited by League journos, administrators and some fans is somewhat bizarre. I don't follow League (used to) so generally ignore it. I can't understand why so many on the other side get so feral in their hate for Rugby, when they could just ignore it. I mean, if their great game is so complete, why do they care?
I agree with the short memory syndrome - League journos have systematically bashed Rugby for decades in print and electronic media, not to mention the pillaging of good players until Rugby became professional. Grow up and cop it on the chin, as they advocate all their "hard" men to do on the field.

Yeah?

You mean it was all in one direction?

Hmmm, I'm sure for every Rothfield and Wilson for RL, there's a Spitzsimmins or a Jones and a Frank Keating out there doing the same, matter of fact, the spitz has a crack without fail every week.

And then there the BS about poaching, the Frogs have been poaching RL players and paying them since the 40's.

Oh and one other difference with Union players coming over to League, they usually are not bought by the ARL, RFL, NZRFL, FFR13, PNGRL or any other organisation that is in power just to use them to promote their game and hurt the former code, they are usually bought to help strengthen a single team with Rep duties a long way down the track once they are good enough and established.

How many times have we seen a RL player taken by Union and put in the media straight away to say how much better it is, how there's more money, you can see the world, the training is harder and it's a much better game?

I don't remember any Union player getting his big nose on TV all the time when they crossed over to League until after they retired (moose mossip and co), I also haven't seen ex Union players given Newspapers articles to write every week where they can kick the crap out of their old code and tell all who will listen about the virtues of their new found sport.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah?

You mean it was all in one direction?

Hmmm, I'm sure for every Rothfield and Wilson for RL, there's a Spitzsimmins or a Jones and a Frank Keating out there doing the same, matter of fact, the spitz has a crack without fail every week.

And then there the BS about poaching, the Frogs have been poaching RL players and paying them since the 40's.

Oh and one other difference with Union players coming over to League, they usually are not bought by the ARL, RFL, NZRFL, FFR13, PNGRL or any other organisation that is in power just to use them to promote their game and hurt the former code, they are usually bought to help strengthen a single team with Rep duties a long way down the track once they are good enough and established.

How many times have we seen a RL player taken by Union and put in the media straight away to say how much better it is, how there's more money, you can see the world, the training is harder and it's a much better game?

I don't remember any Union player getting his big nose on TV all the time when they crossed over to League until after they retired (moose mossip and co), I also haven't seen ex Union players given Newspapers articles to write every week where they can kick the crap out of their old code and tell all who will listen about the virtues of their new found sport.
Did I say it was all one direction?
All those League players lost to France!! Must have near crippled the code there were so many.
In this country, it was a one way street for decades. That time passed, a few went the other way. Now players chop and change.
Big deal. Your game is mighty, be happy, and rejoice that, like Rugby, the national team struggles to beat NZ in really important games.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
LOL, you call that savage?

Bah, that was nothing.

Translated: Yeah that was nothing Rugger boy Karl we blokes in league land are way tougher with our insults, you aint seen nothing yet! How good are we!:D

Your LOL Parra? I'm picking up the sides of my torso after exploding.

Seriously though when RL players have gone to Union the RL commentators have talked up the converts how they'll teach the Union boys to tackle, etc, etc, etc. Then they go over & something happens like for instance SBW getting hammered by Mortlock & Burgess in the Baa Baas game, after the pot shots Rugby has received you cant blame the RU media by firing back. Russell Fairfax was paraded around by league as a great addition from Rugby well before anyone from Rugby (albeit he played League as a junior I believe but played Rugby tests for Aus 1st) started doing it to league players. Rugby has thrown its own insults towards league but in my view most of it has been at best retaliatory, you would have to be very one eyed not to notice that. TBH I think this thread has probably gone as far as it can go.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This argument's becoming tiresome. Personally I don't follow league but I take a Voltarian approach to it. Let's agree to leave each to their own.

Hilarious article, tho.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Calixte was my favourite lunatic on Mungoes Unlimited. He was too deranged even for the leaguies, and seems to have been banned for life.

It has always interested me that league followers in the UK are much more civilised people - based upon the two or three forums that I occasionally visit. There are exceptions, of course.

My final word on the subject is that, if their game is so good, why don't they give it a distinctive name? Rugby is ours, by tradition, history, common usage, etymology, whichever way you want to look at it.

And if their game is so good, why isn't it sweeping the world?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Interesting article on rugby365, 'What we can learn from League'... One reason why I'm not keen on Mungo bashing, There are opportunities for cross fertilization. Why close ours eyes to these opportunities if they can help us improve our game? It's not a failing, nor does it suggest one game is better than the other.

http://www.rugby365.com/opinion/phase2/2837244.htm

R

Ralph Lauren

And if their game is so good, why isn't it sweeping the world?[/quote]

It must really hurt that Rugby Union is such an inconsequential sport in Australia. Sure it has much more traction around the world than League and good luck to it, but here in the homeland it rates poorly, actually it's outrated by League 2nd tier regularly, has limited spectator support and has one of the least effective administrations, despite the apparent high quality of people associated with the sport, of any sport in the country. It also commands limited media support and coverage for 46 of every 48 month cycle.

The Australian people support your beloved Wallabies, who take on just about any private school kid over 80kgs and able to do his own laces, but this support is like support for the Soccoroos, parochial 'Cmon Aussie type', it's not garnered from a love or respect for the game.

League is far from perfect but it has the love of the people, or at least a good percentage of them...

Rugby Union is simply inconsequential to the people of this nation, sorry!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
And if their game is so good, why isn't it sweeping the world?

It must really hurt that Rugby Union is such an inconsequential sport in Australia. Sure it has much more traction around the world than League and good luck to it, but here in the homeland it rates poorly, actually it's outrated by League 2nd tier regularly, has limited spectator support and has one of the least effective administrations, despite the apparent high quality of people associated with the sport, of any sport in the country. It also commands limited media support and coverage for 46 of every 48 month cycle.

The Australian people support your beloved Wallabies, who take on just about any private school kid over 80kgs and able to do his own laces, but this support is like support for the Soccoroos, parochial 'Cmon Aussie type', it's not garnered from a love or respect for the game.

League is far from perfect but it has the love of the people, or at least a good percentage of them...

Rugby Union is simply inconsequential to the people of this nation, sorry![/quote]

Why if this is your "justified" opinion are the league supporters so thin skinned when it comes to criticism?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You really have to admire the effort some League fans go to in order to pass off the culturally ingrained fear and prejudice manifesting itself in whats a pretty significant inferiority complex. It quite amusing and sadly pathetic really.

DrewB

Bob McCowan (2)
Ok. Given that Vichy is a term used in association with France to describe the government of France that collaborated with the Axis Powers from July 1940 to August 1944, I am struggling with the reference to vichyball. Is it some hint that Rugby is illegitimate? Disloyal to some higher power or ideal?

Considering the Vichy Govt confiscated all assets and funds of RL clubs and gave it all to RU, I understand the resentment from french RL fans like ParraEElsNRL (I asume that is the anglicised version of "Paris l'anguilles FFR13").

In all seriousness, a bit of friendly banter is fun between the codes, but there is a limit.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The Vinchy Govt. Banned league after a report was done that illustrated it was played and watched by troublemakers and those less fortunate in the smarts department. If only Aust. Had done a report western Sydney might nit be so bad off.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
This whole "Love of the people" thing being touted as not seen in Rugby is such a load of BS. Rugby is a game for the people of all areas as much as any other sports when you dont focus all your attension at the representative level. I have stated & agreed with others that Rugby is too top heavy - at the representative level which is a shame & needs to change over time. However, this doesnt take away from the fact that there are people every where from all walks of life that play and love the game. It would be nice is more Leagies had an open mind like Adam MacDougal who was there at the local Rugby Union GF at Newcastle, I'm sure if he can watch a game others could.

Considering what League did to Union when it was first getting off the ground here in Oz its pretty silly as a league supporter to get all upset over the actions of the Vinchy Govt.

Status
Not open for further replies.