• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A car for under $15k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Suggestions please -

A car that'll take 4 easy with a bit of space. Could be a big sedan or 4WD.

What I'd prefer is something more interesting and with character rather than arseboringly practical i.e. people carriers can fuck right off.

For under $15k

Thoughts?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
How old? How much on the GAGR Not Shitness scale do you anticipate?
In all seriousness, you can but a not very old second hand Falcodore for that - the Condommodore Sportswagon is reasonably tidy looking, swallow 4 and crap with ease. It is a Holden though.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Depends whether you want a 'proper' 4wd or not too.

Falcodores (and Ford Territory) are probably best in terms of space/bang for your buck. You could also get something like a Subaru Outback/Liberty

If you want something that'll actually get off the beaten track a Toyota Landcruiser (early, coil front end 100 Series are about 15k)/Prado are your best bet but they'll have a million km and prices are def over-inflated.

Land Rover Discos have horrible resale and you can get a fairly new one of them for cheap.

Otherwise just browse carsales.com.au - you could probably get a V70 volvo wagon pretty cheap too but other than that large Euros are stupidly expensive.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Go to Pickles Car Auctions. Pickles.com.au

A lot of Used Car Yards buy stock for their lots from there. You just have to outbid the professional buyers by $50 to avoid having to pay the Car Yard price.

For about $20, Pickles also produce a book called "Prices people pay" which contains the price of all the vehicles that sold in the previous month. Good for research purposes.

We get our wheels from Pickles, and have done so for quite some time.

As well as the usual boring as batshit 2 yr old corporate vehicles (majority of their stock), they do have a fair range of other "character" vehicles.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
We had an Outback for years, was great. We had a Volvo XC 70 for 7 yrs - also pretty much trouble free. Personally, unless you want to go off road, SUV / 4WDs are really pointless, and you'll get better carrying and mileage in a "car" type wagon or smaller SUV. Liberty / Outback / Forester at the limit with 4 to carry for though.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Depends if you're looking at the UK market or Australia - given you're based over there?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The Mazda 6 is arseboringly reliable but also a very enjoyable drive. Plenty of space for 4.

I had an Outback for a couple of years and loved it - but it didn't love me back. Pretty sure I had the only unreliable one in the country though.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Thanks guys.

You're leading me to believe the budget needs upping. What's the inflection point - $30k?

Empire - there are unsubstantiated rumours that the Gagger geolocation may be changing imminently

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Thanks guys.

You're leading me to believe the budget needs upping. What's the inflection point - $30k?

Empire - there are unsubstantiated rumours that the Gagger geolocation may be changing imminently
Now, give a man some swinging room. We can get one with a radio fir that coin. And mags. And GAGR fluffy dice.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Gagger, the Pickles advice earlier was pretty good. It's probably best to decide on what car you're in the market for first, then track prices on Pickles/Drive/Carsguide/Cars forSale, etc. I find the weakest sellers advertise on Trading Post or Gumtree; I picked up a 2yo Ford Focus with 25,000km for under $12k for Her Majesty a couple of years ago. The seller wanted $18k but listing on Gumtree was a dead giveaway he wanted a quick sale.

My brother's in the motor trade in Wagga and has extensive contacts in the wholesale trade. Give me a bell when your liner's about Singapore and I'll get him on the job.

You are coming by ship, aren't you?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I'm selling a 98 Ford XH Panelvan,
A car that'll take 4 easy with a bit of space. Check, take the whole family if your not fussy about seat belts

What I'd prefer is something more interesting and with character rather than arseboringly practical Check, ex police paddy wagon, think of the stories it could tell.

For under $15k Check, by 10 grand.

100_1829.jpg

Let me know when you want to pick it up:)

Status
Not open for further replies.