• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A make over for Quade Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Last chance guys. This is a thread to discuss the benefits of a makeover for Quade Cooper. If you want to discuss how he plays go to one of the others threads devoted to it. If you don't want to stick to the thread topic I can clean up the thread and hand out cards while I'm doing it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Last chance guys. This is a thread to discuss the benefits of a makeover for Quade Cooper. If you want to discuss how he plays go to one of the others threads devoted to it. If you don't want to stick to the thread topic I can clean up the thread and hand out cards while I'm doing it.

Sorry mate, thought we were. Just commenting on his past downfalls where it was evident that he did need a makeover.

M

Muttonbird

Yeah, no worries. As lewisr says, just looking at the past to show the way forward.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
And I apologise for being cranky I tried to start a different conversation and ended up with the same conversation that has been going on for a while. It doesn't help when some members have had a new response to the name Cooper for a very long time.

something

Jim Clark (26)

I'd hardly call that bagging out his forwards. All he said was that its hard to play when going backwards which is a fair comment.

I think cooper doesn't need to market himself any differently. He is young, and stupid. But he as he is getting older he is getting wiser which is positive. He is already a much better person off the field than he was when he first started playing superxv and will continue to improve off the field as he gets older.

Reactions: TSR
M

Muttonbird

He is already a much better person off the field than he was when he first started playing superxv and will continue to improve off the field as he gets older.
There's no doubt he will continue to improve. The make-over idea is a good one but as someone said earlier, Khoda Nasser is not the one to do it. I suspect he is better off the field now but that is hard to judge as his media appearances are fewer and further between which is exactly what is required. I suspect those early appearances were driven by himself in always volunteering because he wanted to "get out there". Great idea now to forget about that stuff and concentrate on the team and the game-plan.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Quade may have had the odd off field issue, but the impression I get is that he is great with fans and as I recall he was in NZ too during the RWC, it is his biggest saving grace since the yellow jersey affair. Meeting players in person adds a new dimension for fans, especially kids, and guys like Cooper and the Faingas are by all accounts fantastic for the fans. Goes a really long way with me.

Not sold he needs another makeover, just needs to keep playing with a straight bat as he has, and build towards being a complete package. I haven't seen a lot of the outrageous skills of 2011, and I wonder if he might have gone a little too far into his shell, but I have no doubts he will come to be great if he can ride it out.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Quades stuff ups are well documented but the constant bullshit thrown around about him are more a reflection of the people who throw the bullshit around rather than Quade himself. The constant regurgitation of past incidences are a tribute to how little and pathetic some people are. Quade faces the masses after he stuffs up but can that be said for the high and mighty keyboard warriors who type the shit?

When you look in the right places you hear the stories about the kind and charitable things he does. The fact he never seems to draw attention to these speaks volumes for his character and he is a far more modest individual than his critics would think.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it will be hard for Cooper to "turn it around" from what has played out over the last couple of years. It would seem he's made attempts but because he's given plenty of material to the media in days gone by, his every move and decision will now be played out in that same media and IMO any make over will come across as manufactured and not genuine.

I personally think some of the sentiments (even expressed on here) about the "kiwi's vs Quade" thing is over played. Not that I've ever had a problem with Quade or cheered when he's stuffed up or booed etc, not my thing, but I do think it was NZ crowd's "Hadlee is a $&@#!" chant moment. After all is said and done its not 'hate', it's just crowds getting caught up in something.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
How he reacts to not being selected will say a lot about how he has matured.
Hopefully he will keep working on his game and not make any comment regarding his omission from the first 25.
If he doesn't get picked for this series or even TRC, which is unlikely, a new coach will most probably bring him straight back into the Wallaby fold if he is playing well.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Makeover? I question whether he is seen as divisive within the camp when his captain and the other most vocal and influential player (Genia) are strong supporters of him. So, within the Wallaby camp, I don't think it's necessary. I think players respect what Cooper can do on the pitch.

Off the pitch, he is clearly a divisive figure outside Queensland but that too will disappear if he produces in big pressure games when he gets the opportunity. His comments about the yellow jersey didn't endear him to anybody and many former Test players in particular are resentful and less likely to forgive. The average punter will forgive if he produces in the big games.

So, no makeover necessary. Just do the business on the pitch and be more attuned to how the public may perceive your actions off the pitch, so you will derive the full benefits of your on-field efforts.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
How he reacts to not being selected will say a lot about how he has matured.
Hopefully he will keep working on his game and not make any comment regarding his omission from the first 25.
If he doesn't get picked for this series or even TRC, which is unlikely, a new coach will most probably bring him straight back into the Wallaby fold if he is playing well.

I'm sure he is being counseled by McKenzie who needs Cooper focussed and in a positive frame of mind if he is to have a successful Super rugby campaign.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Ruggo, I haven't seen too many people attack his character. It's all performance driven.

There have been questions about whether he has a big game temperament that I think have been overblown. It really is performance driven in big games, and Deans just doesn't trust him.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
There have been questions about whether he has a big game temperament that I think have been overblown. It really is performance driven in big games, and Deans just doesn't trust him.

Considering the stats that Sully provided show the wallabies have a higher win rate in all sorts of games ( including bledisloe and rc games) when Cooper is involved, maybe we should be questioning Deans' performance in big games more than Coopers?

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Considering the stats that Sully provided show the wallabies have a higher win rate in all sorts of games ( including bledisloe and rc games) when Cooper is involved, maybe we should be questioning Deans' performance in big games more than Coopers?

Haven't we though? Deans may only live on if the Lions are defeated.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
You obviously can't completely change a person but I think him, Khoder Nasser and link have made a real effort to further his development this year. I hope this translates to better performance under pressure but at the moment it is doing wonders for his play at super rugby level.

He has matured quite a bit. I wonder if Khoder Nasser really has had anything to do with it other than lining up a boxing gig (Khoder's natural environment).

Status
Not open for further replies.