• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A touch of class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Class has absolutely nothing to do with it. Its all attitude. I've played against really hard boys from the supposedly soft cock upper classes who had real mongrel in terms of their attitude toward the game. On the flipside I have also played 140kg Islanders who were as soft as mashmellow but should have slaughtered all before them. I will say this though. Growing up in Sydney's South West the general attitude to sports is different. For many young people in the Inner West, Eastern Suburbs and Upper North Shore sport is just another element to life as there are other opportunities through education, while many who tend to excel in the West view it as the only real option. If you look at the NRL were a great deal of the talent comes from Western Sydney, I can tell you most of those boys would not have had contingency plans. Unlike many Rugby players who have qualifications (.i.e. Baxter - architect) outside of the game. So a far more aggressive and I guess resilent attitude is a requirement.

Nail on the head mate. Take for example Digby Ioane, who most would consider one of the harder men in Australian rugby. Diggers comes from a large working class family and so the desperation and drive to succeed in order provide them with a better life would be great motivation for him. He's a heart and soul player because first and foremost, rugby is his bread and butter, and he therefore needs to exploit his talent as much as he can whilst he still has it. Its all about attitude.

canowindra

Frank Nicholson (4)
It must be remembered that a good percentage of boarders at private schools are in fact country boys, and many of those boys start doing hard physical work at an early age. Frequently the only way the families can afford the feess is if the kids come home and work all holidays, particularly during harvest when it is all hands on deck. These kids learn the value of hard work, are responsible and appreciate the sacrifices made for them...the likes of Beau Robinson and Ben McCalman both went to private schools, worked on the familyfarm and are the tough no nonsense sort of characters who make a huge contribution to their teams. It is a shame that the rugby 'pathway' is not clearer for more country kids, particularly those who do not have the opportunity to go away to school.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
For country families often times the only option they have to give their kids a decent education is at boarding school. It's definitely the case for a lot of rural areas here in WA. The kids get introduced to rugby in these schools (as they all play the game) and that can't really be a bad thing.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Nail on the head mate. Take for example Digby Ioane, who most would consider one of the harder men in Australian rugby. Diggers comes from a large working class family and so the desperation and drive to succeed in order provide them with a better life would be great motivation for him. He's a heart and soul player because first and foremost, rugby is his bread and butter, and he therefore needs to exploit his talent as much as he can whilst he still has it. Its all about attitude.

I agree with everything you said but don't forget the kiwi/islander influence as it probably influenced him choosing rugby over other codes. People all over the place fit your description but we have to ask why are they entering rival codes over rugby. Whether it be elitism or incompetence, I don't think rugby does a great job promoting itself across the social spectrum.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Taking kids out of a country school that already plays rugby to put them in a boarding school in Sydney is a cultural change most country kids I know dont want to do. The usual remark to this is that they miss out but no they dont, they usually end up in another sport and do quite well - its rugby that misses out and it is a shame for the game.

canowindra

Frank Nicholson (4)
Valid point about sending kids to school in Sydney, fortunately there are boarding schools to the west of the Great Dividing Range where rugby is also played. Both Ben Macalman and Beau Robertson went to country boarding schools (Kinross Wolaroi and Stannies); mind you both these schools play trials and comps against Sydney schools.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
God, Scotty, avoided it like the plague growing up. I still wouldn't call that lot upper class. Just dickheads.

I have done a few jobs for people in ascot that talk down about 'new money' people moving into the area. They certainly believe they are upper class.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
I have done a few jobs for people in ascot that talk down about 'new money' people moving into the area. They certainly believe they are upper class.

Can we not generalise people based on where they live. There were wankers there, but no more than in other places

Status
Not open for further replies.