• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders Who Represented the Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
After watching the Rugby Show on Foxsports with Mark Ella as a guest and he had jersey's signed by all previous aboriginal Wallabies. My ignorance was that I can only recall 12. Now 13.

Does anyone know how many there are?

Lloyd McDermott
Mark Ella
Gary Ella
Glen Ella
Lloyd Walker
Andrew Walker
Jim Williams
Wendell Sailer
Timana Tahu
Saia Fainga'a
Anthony Fainga'a
Kurtley Beale
Matt Hodgson

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
if its not too late
id love to see the combined country team thats facing the lions have a large indiginous influence>
wouldnt it be amazing if we could really promote this ala aboriginal all stars !
im afraid im not aware of too many players, is there someone in the know that could tell me> could a competitive team be fielded? even if only a few players it would do so much for the indiginous community in australia to see rugby promote it and be proud!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
if its not too late
id love to see the combined country team thats facing the lions have a large indiginous influence>
wouldnt it be amazing if we could really promote this ala aboriginal all stars !
im afraid im not aware of too many players, is there someone in the know that could tell me> could a competitive team be fielded? even if only a few players it would do so much for the indiginous community in australia to see rugby promote it and be proud!

I'm pretty sure the Maori team beat the Lions when they toured NZ in 2005

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
probably a more important question is > if an indiginous team was put together- would they give a damn about rugby?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
The question is do the Aussie natives give a damn about rugby?

I'd say so, I played with quite a few in junior rugby in the late 70's & 80's and a mate of mine co coached a junior indigenous rep side last year. I think a lot just gravitate to league after a while. Outside of Qld & NSW AFL is the indigenous game of choice. Damn It!

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd say so, I played with quite a few in junior rugby in the late 70's & 80's and a mate of mine co coached a junior indigenous rep side last year. I think a lot just gravitate to league after a while. Outside of Qld & NSW AFL is the indigenous game of choice. Damn It!
Its the same with football and rugby here. Black people grew up in a environment where everyone supports and play football more than what you find with rugby. So they will play football than rugby rather. Would be interesting to see of all our registered players who is the majority playing rugby. It will be opposite the countries representation in the race groups I can bet.

T

TOCC

Its the same with football and rugby here. Black people grew up in a environment where everyone supports and play football more than what you find with rugby. So they will play football than rugby rather. Would be interesting to see of all our registered players who is the majority playing rugby. It will be opposite the countries representation in the race groups I can bet.

The situations are quite different between Australian and South Africa, rugby union has never been a symbol of racial divide.
Rugby Union in Australian doesn't have a history of race segregation, rather it has a divide along socio-economic grounds, within that aboriginals have fallen into the 'working class' category alongside a large portion of the population who have historically followed rugby league.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
The situations are quite different between Australian and South Africa, rugby union has never been a symbol of racial divide.
Rugby Union in Australian doesn't have a history of race segregation, rather it has a divide along socio-economic grounds, within that aboriginals have fallen into the 'working class' category alongside a large portion of the population who have historically followed rugby league.
SA had a cultural segregation not race. Tribes were separated by the British due to their violent nature towards one another. Something like that was not done in Rwanda and a couple of million people died.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rugby Union in Australian doesn't have a history of race segregation,
SA had a cultural segregation not race.
It seems that you're never too old to be astounded.

It would appear then that the absence of indigenous players in both countries can be attributed to a failure of communication. Indigenous people were probably unaware of just how welcome they would have been made if they'd turned up at their local rugby club looking for a game.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)

It would appear then that the absence of indigenous players in both countries can be attributed to a failure of communication. Indigenous people were probably unaware of just how welcome they would have been made if they'd turned up at their local rugby club looking for a game.

One is never too old for a history lesson as well.

South Africa‟s Black population is not homogenous. There are several different tribes who all speak different languages and who have distinct and hugely different cultures.

There are main tribes such as the Zulu, Xhosa, Tswana, Venda, Ndebele, Sotho, Swazi and the Shangaan/Tsonga people. But it does not stop there, because these main tribes consist of smaller tribes. For instance the Xhosas are made up of Mpondo, Fingo, Thembu, Bhaca, Nhlangwini and Xesibe tribes. The Sothos are made up of North Sotho (Bapedi) and South Sotho (Basotho) tribes. The Tswanas are only a part of the main tribe known as the West Sotho.

Other tribes that make up the West Sotho are the Kwena, Kgatla, Tlhaping, Tlharo, Rolong and Ngwato. The Venda tribe is made up of mainly the Mphephu and the Lemba, but in total the Vavenda can be bordered off into 27 clearly distinguishable tribes. The Zulus are made up of about 200 smaller tribes The Swazis are made up from the Nkosi, Shongwe, Khumalo and Hhlatyawako tribes. The Northern Sothos are made up from the Pedi, Koni, Phalaborwa, Lobedu and Kutswe tribes.... And so I can go on...

All in all South Africa has nine official Black languages, with 23 sub categories and innumerable dialects.

All of them with their own believe system, culture and languages. Xhosa's see Zulu's as a boy regardless their age. Even today when you have workers you have to consider that and not try let them work together especially in construction. Namibia you have the same thing with the Wambu and the Hiero not fond of working together. When I said separated by culture

They were seperated by the following
Transkei –Xhosa
Ciskei – Xhosa
Venda – Venda
Bophuthatswana – Tswana
Gazankulu – Tsonga/Shangaan
KaNgwane – Swazi
KwaNdebele – Ndebele
KwaZulu – Zulu
Lebowa – Pedi (Northern Sotho)
QwaQwa – Sotho
Botswana - Tswana

As you can see. By culture not race and hence why SA did not see any person coming from the above areas as citizens because they came from "independent countries". Only problem was SA never worried about Border control. And the jobs was where the the gold was discovered. Now put 1 and 1 together. No border control. Jobs and fortune available in the Johannesburg region and tell me what it will look like almost 50 years without border control? Remeber segregration started with the British at the end of the 1800's not 1947

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
After spending a few weeks in Aboriginal communities a few years back, it's an absolute crying shame we don't try and get the kids hooked on the sport.

The kids are willing to give anything involving a ball and running a shot, even with an ingrained love of AFL. They're all extremely athletic and a more inclusive approach would be wonderful for Australian rugby and struggling communities alike. Just looking at the some of the names of indigenous who have worn gold is an indicator that there is talent out there.

But the game has to be taken to the communities by the ARU, otherwise generation after generation of uniquely gifted aboriginal kids will fall to AFL.

T

TOCC

Australia has a history of racism which is also evident in sport no doubt, but not to the level of racial..... i mean cultural segregation that South Africa went through during apartheid...

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Australia has a history of racism was also evident in sport no doubt, but not to the level of racial... i mean cultural segregation that South Africa went through during apartheid.

I should have explained myself more clearly, but i was just trying to point out that Australia and South Africa are quite different when it comes to indigenous participation in sport.
You must understand what I am trying to show here. Most foreigners believe that South Africa has one group of Blacks that speak one language and have one culture. Nothing could be further from the truth.

That have directly to do with the question I ask do the natives worry about Rugby in Australia. In some regions like the regions where the Bulls, Cheetahs and Lions are they do not care much about if and they grow up in a environment where football is the sport and they grow die hard supporters of it. You can't change that and that will never change due to its part of the culture. Eastern Cape is where you will find it in some homes. Western Cape due to its European influence you wiill find it played by most of the colored community.

And SA and Australia are not that different what one might thinks as Australia also had a immigration policy that kept Non Whites out of it in 1901. It came into affect in 1901 and was progressively dismantled after World War 2. SA like I said did not have Border control between 1910 and 1938 the black population grew by 30 million. In the end they did not know who was from another country or who was born in South Africa. So they tried the pass thing which was basically a passport/ID book to ID you as one. It failed

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I struggle to see why it matters who started it.
Because people said Apartheid started in 1947 when the Afrikaner took over. So everything that looks like a Afrikaner pillar in South Africa they will try take down. Foreigners have no idea what is really going on in SA and what is going in SA sport.

Read this
http://www.pmg.org.za/report/20091110-south-african-rugby-union-eastern-cape-franchise-developments
http://www.pmg.org.za/taxonomy/term/26/viewminute.php?page=32
http://www.pmg.org.za/minutes/20070...op-rugby-previously-disadvantaged-communities

How do you level the playing field in a Sport. Do you ask Australia and NZ to play a lower level?

Imagine if you applied the quota system to Australia. Saying that all teams must xxx amount of natives. Remember colored people in SA are not seen as as natives due to be being European. We will always be in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.