• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Academy Trial Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Hi guys on Sunday ive got a Harlequins Rugby League Academy Trial and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what things I should be doing.

I can play halfback, five eighth and at a stretch hooker. I was just looking to see if you had any tips for me.

I know its League but I thought you could help

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
all I can say is too often in those environments, players try to overplay their hand desperate to impress.

Good judges will always pick up the little things like backing up in support, running into position, patting a team mate on the back for support.

Oh and breaking tackles, scoring tries and smashing blocks.

Best of luck. Let us know how you go!

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I can only offer you good luck. Knock em dead mate.

...oh and like RF said, chuck a Chris Ashton and come back to union :p .

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
some advice for Dobuff.

1 don't do it!
2 if you must, wear a mouthguard
3 when tackled try and land on your knees & elbows, for the quick play the ball
4 Get in & have a scoot at dummy 1/2 after someone makes a half a line break, it's easy yards & a good chance of finding an off balance defender.
5 If there is a dominant forward in your side, make sure he runs off you all day, not the other 1/2 5/8.He will make your passes look better and there will be holes around him after he breaks a few tackles.
6. on a 50/50 call, hog it, have no shame. They will pick a 1/2 or 5/8 who can score 2 or 3 tries ahead of a 1/2 or 5/8 that sets up 5 or 6 tries EVERY TIME.
7 The cut out/ long ball is not a high % option, most Mungoes are not fond of this.
8 ALWAYS kick on the last, a dumb fuck kick is not ideal but acceptable, being tackled in possession is quite often deemed incompetant.
9 Check out the wingers on the 4th, in a trial they are unlikely to have dropped back to defend the kick that everyone knows is coming on the 5th. If you can kick a 40/20 this is more highly regarded than setting up a try by a lot of them for some reason.

Good luck on Sunday, if you go no good I think trials for Warringah Rats start in late Feb!

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
oh i forgot to mention, i think you get in the league good books if you:

a. like getting sucked off by a dog
b. Shitting in hotel hallways
c. "team bonding sessions" 8 guys, one very mediocre new zealander

...but maybe thats just an australian mungo thing...

seriously though good luck, be sure to thank us when your the latest rose to transfer from mungoball to beating australia...

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks ILTW some good points there, i think warringah is a bit far for me lol

RF - I will thank you if I do well in the trials let alone doing that stuff,

if i ever get that far though I think ill be reading from the cliche quotes that you have to learn for interviews, all you will here is teamwork, couldn't have done it without the other boys, it’s going to be a real battle out there and many others... You might have to whip out your Dingo Deans Dictionary.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Lot's of talking to your team mates, they'll want to see your organization skills if you are playing those positions. Try and get more than one runner in motion so you're not just shoveling it to someone else but making the defence have to watch you more, that gives you more time with the ball. Importantly, play your natural game and stay involved. Like the other guy says lots of people hog it in trials, only hog it when the opportunity arises, then go hard.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
dobduff11

What has inspired you to trial for a Mungo team? Good luck by the way. If your any good at the true game you'd likely not need much luck. Not knocking League but the simple facts are I know many Rugby player's who have waltzed into these teams and the fact that Cronulla and Wests both offered me contracts while at school, so if you're any good you'll be right.Take the chance to get your strength and fitness up while playing some pretty easy football. Once you have matured return to the real deal. If they have any professionalism at all they'll focus on the physical development aspects of your game.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks for the advice boys WCR I got put forward by my school and club to trial for them. Also Im going for League cos I got dropped from the London Irish Academy because they had the English U16 10 in my year and he was pretty insane.

That was an interesting morning: 9 o clock start finished half an hour because somebody got a serious knee injury.

Signed in and sat next to some massive prop who I swear was on roids, he was about 6 foot 3 and 18 stone. Anyway we warmed up for about 20 mins and then started on some fitness work for the next 20. Split up into backs and forwards, and then sort of into specific positions, halves, centres and back three.

Then we started to do some grappling drills and an Intro to a tackling sesh which was pretty physical especially as I am pretty light and seemed to be the smallest one there (no surprise here I have been the smallest player in every team I have ever played in). Then did a drill where you just do a first phase play off of a play the ball against a tackling defence. Tried to play conservatively in this bit but got a bit bored after doing it for a while and wanted to run at the defence.

For the last hour and a bit we played a match, I was on the bench for a bit because there were 5 halfbacks who turned up. Came on after about 20 mins, mostly just passed to a runner. In the second half I made a couple of clean breaks and scored a try. After that I got cheap shotted about 5 times and didnt get much room to run. One bomb ended up as a goal line dropout and a grubber went into touch. I got taken off soon after that.

Positives:
Passing was good, couple of backhanded offloads that I was really pleased with haha. Scored a try and made a couple of breaks

Negatives:
Got cheap-shotted alot, missed a tackle on a prop who made about 15m, One of the other halfs on the other team was stacked and had a massive boot. Very battered from the match.

I have been invited back for another trial in January, only problem is that they train 3 times a week in putney which is about 45 mins away from where I live. Also found out at the end of the session that I was still eligible for their U17 squad so might go for that if i dont get into the U18 squad.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Sounds like a good run. If you're the littlest guy on the field you're going to have props run at you all day, keep the chatter up in defence so you're not isolated. And with the cheap shots, I'm sure you know that no cheap shot, no matter how painful, hurts (at least not to the oppositions eyes) otherwise you'll be copping them all day.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Be careful not to get too tainted by mungoitis. I don't think being a dick head is as rigidly enforced in Soap Dodger mungodom as it is here.

That being said, we may be insulated from the reports of questionable consent group sex, glassing girlfriends, public urination, questionable ethics in hotel bathrooms, unusual practices with dogs, hotel room defacation, shoe defacation, public nudity, drunkenness, on field prostrate examinations etc etc etc from your Mungoballers.

Ours seem to be on a never ending quest to have their antics take tabloid press boganistic depravity to such a low level that it is an insult to all true bogans.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Sounds like a nice first trial, well done.
cheap shots are a compliment, so you can take a positive out of that if it's any consolation to you.
Always nice to score a meat pie in a trial!

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks guys

Yeh I was pretty pleased with it not sure why I got taken off though. ILTW i'l try and take it as a compliment, every match this year a flanker has had a shot on me early in the game.

I think the school coaches think that puts them in a position of advantage if the ten knows the 7 is close to him. Most of the time I got up and laughed it off. The 9 in my team is the feisty one and does head locks and arm bars in practically every game we play.

And Hugh Ill try not to get "mungoitis" haha, sounds pretty serious

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Enjoy the fact that you have skills and they are usable in both codes.

Avoid the mindless child like mungo and the like comments.

Both codes have their moments which are not edifying.

Who can rugby touring sides that had serious incidents, people biting other nations players ears off etc.

T

TheTruth

Hi guys on Sunday ive got a Harlequins Rugby League Academy Trial and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what things I should be doing.

I can play halfback, five eighth and at a stretch hooker. I was just looking to see if you had any tips for me.

I know its League but I thought you could help

Mate - if you are seeking advice to play league from this site - you are in strife

Hog the ball, break tackles, score half a dozen, couple of drop goals, monster tackles by you - no probs

wish you luck all the same

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
enjoy the fact that you have skills and they are usable in both codes.

Avoid the mindless child like mungo and the like comments.

Both codes have their moments which are not edifying.

Who can rugby touring sides that had serious incidents, people biting other nations players ears off etc.

mungo alert

Status
Not open for further replies.