• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACT 1st Grade Vs Sydney 1st grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'll try to get some details for you tomorrow, Informer.

I was at the game...the Colts got a hiding from start to finish pretty much.

2nds were pretty similar....a little more competitive but never really looked dangerous.

Didn't see the 1sts game but heard from a couple of players that they got a little carved up but it was fairly close till near the end. Heard the 7 and 12 (or 13) for Vikings were not great defensively and they went thru about 5-6 loosies or something like that.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Results from yesterday's matches between Tuggeranong Vikings and Sydney University:

Colts: 10-40 (score may not be exact)

Bruce

Any report on the colts game? How did the new boys go?

Informer, I could only get comments on some of the Uni players. Among those who went well:

Stuart Goodman
Sam Jeffries
Will Skelton who scored a rampaging long distance try
Hugh Dunbar and
James Dargaville

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Thanks Bruce

Good to see Skelton hanging in there. He certainly made an impact when he came on against Hunter. Stlll lacks finesse but made up for with sheer physical presence, he is one big unit

C

Canon76

Have you some insight we don't have?

I think the fact they were able to pick up Chisholm shopping centre fairly quickly indicates that they are reasonably well endowed financially. Nearly $20 million for that place alone. Not usually the actions of a club in financial difficulties, or without money.
Smart move too, diversification from alcohol and gambling isnt a bad idea.

I'd be surprised if they went too poorly, if they get all their expected players back (including those with injuries, Parahi comes to mind), they will be quite handy. Our club will not be taking them for granted at any rate.

Last years annual report was not very good for the club. They have also suffered a huge set back with the planned development of the golf club not going ahead. Yes they purchased the shopping centre however is this purchase in line with the wishes of the members of the vikings group ?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Not being one, I wouldnt know.... However I do work in a bar at another big club (Aussie Rules) and there is definately a push to derisk and diversify income streams. Prudent given the recommendations that may eventuate regarding Alcohol and Gambling.

I have a feeling Vikes will be around for a while yet..

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Attachments

• Will Skelton at Tuggeranong.jpg
    Will Skelton at Tuggeranong.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 273

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
If an ACT side played against a Sydney side, I have the opinion that the ACT side would give the Sydney side a good go. Might not win but would be a lot closer than people would think.
Could anyone name a side from the ACT...?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
As I've said previously, Queanbeyan and Tuggeranong wouldn't do too bad, and Gungahlin would also be alright.

Of course Sydney Uni and Randwick would win these games 99 times out of 100, but the rest of the comp I believe would be fair game.

Alas, we won't really ever know unless some sort of conference system between the different regions started up. I'd love to see the top teams from around the country compete properly. Not just in warm ups which are usually devoid of top players, and experimental in nature.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I look at the John Dent writeups on the Brumbies website and always check the teams. There is no way any of your clubs would be close to the strength of the top 5 or 6 Shute Shield teams. I wonder how often some of you actually watch the Shute Shield. It starts again in two weeks.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I look at the John Dent writeups on the Brumbies website and always check the teams. There is no way any of your clubs would be close to the strength of the top 5 or 6 Shute Shield teams. I wonder how often some of you actually watch the Shute Shield. It starts again in two weeks.

Do you watch much John I Dent?

Queanbeyan and Tuggeranong would go OK in the Shute Shield competition, especially Tuggeranong with their financial setup. You have to consider that a large amount of players have left these clubs to play for SS teams, if these players returned to play in a Canberra based team in the SS they would be very competitive. You would also think Brumbies would support a locally based team. Last year there was sometimes up to 10-12 Brumbies players running around the SS, so even if they retained just some of these.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'll pay Randwick and Sydney Uni, they are very strong clubs, but I still believe the top JID teams would go alright against the rest of the shute shield. Not suggesting domination, or any other hyperbole, but they would be competitive. Far more so than Parra or Penrith of 2010, who really were out of their depth.

Might catch the games on tv, but I am generally at my own clubs games... and there is no repeats etc. From what I've seen it's good footy, but but not heaps different to the top clashes in thd JID.

At any rate, it's not going to happen, so....

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I'll pay Randwick and Sydney Uni, they are very strong clubs, but I still believe the top JID teams would go alright against the rest of the shute shield. Not suggesting domination, or any other hyperbole, but they would be competitive. Far more so than Parra or Penrith of 2010, who really were out of their depth.

Might catch the games on tv, but I am generally at my own clubs games... and there is no repeats etc. From what I've seen it's good footy, but but not heaps different to the top clashes in thd JID.

At any rate, it's not going to happen, so....

You can usually get all the full replays here.. http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/sport

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I cant understand your logic, these players have left the Canberra set up. It is equivalent to a Tongan arguing that they would have been stronger on the wing if Jonah hadn't followed his family to NZ. It happened, just like Campo joining the Wicks all those years ago. To argue that a current John Dent Cup team is anywhere near the equivalent to Eastwood, Souths etc is wrong. One of you guys posted Sam Waru to the Wicks, and then another one of you talks about if the players returned. The reality is that it isn't going to happen any time soon.
Therefore your competition isn't that strong. Finally apart from Robbie Coleman how many of your players have actually gone on to higher levels recently?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Can I ask how much of the JID have you seen? If the standard was that poor, why would Shute Shield clubs continually go after JID players?

I can say I've had exposure to both. Helps form a balanced assessment - more than a weekly team list surf perhaps?

Definately not saying the JID is as strong as the Shute Shield, merely that the top teams in the JID could definitely compete with the Shute Shield teams, sans Sydney Uni and Randwick. I would certainly say the two clubs I've mentioned are stronger than Parra and Penrith. As such, the middle order is fair game.

Sammy Wara going north - hard to compete with $1500 a game. That's got nothingto do with standard.

Off the top of my head, Dan Yakopo (Vikings) and Henry Vanderglas (Easts), Nic White (Queanbeyan) were exposed to elite programs/sevens/contracts via their form in the JID. Others have gone on to represent their countries in sevens and 15's in preparation for the world cup (Roland Suniula - USA/Easts).

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I guess it all comes down to what you mean by compete. I think the best JID side might win the odd game but I don't believe a JID team would make the semi-finals. I previously stated that the JID teams would not have been as good as last year's Rats team who failed to qualify for the semis.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Can I ask how much of the JID have you seen? If the standard was that poor, why would Shute Shield clubs continually go after JID players?

I can say I've had exposure to both. Helps form a balanced assessment - more than a weekly team list surf perhaps?

Definately not saying the JID is as strong as the Shute Shield, merely that the top teams in the JID could definitely compete with the Shute Shield teams, sans Sydney Uni and Randwick. I would certainly say the two clubs I've mentioned are stronger than Parra and Penrith. As such, the middle order is fair game.

Sammy Wara going north - hard to compete with $1500 a game. That's got nothingto do with standard.

Off the top of my head, Dan Yakopo (Vikings) and Henry Vanderglas (Easts), Nic White (Queanbeyan) were exposed to elite programs/sevens/contracts via their form in the JID. Others have gone on to represent their countries in sevens and 15's in preparation for the world cup (Roland Suniula - USA/Easts).

Coleman off top of my head would be the only one who has gone onto being recognised recently via JID, Vanderglas got a Tier 1 contract while at Easts but didnt really come to prominence till he went to the Wicks, White still not proven at a higher level other than 7s and same with Yakapo. Suniula was already a USA Rep before joining Easts. I do agree with you Empire however that Vikings at full strength, Queanbyean at Full Strength and also Royals a full strength would go well against Shute Shield teams, I watch a bit of Shute Shield, and these three teams plus Gungahlin would beat the likes of Gordon, PArramatta, Penrith, West Harbour and even Eastern Suburbs. Realistically, probably couldnt come close to Sydney Uni, or the current Southern Districts side but I dear say, a team like the Vikings at full strength would push the Wicks, SD or even Syd Uni....as much as supporters think the Shute Shield is the greatest comp in Aust, only the top end teams are pretty much unstoppable or hard to beat...every other side aint as good as them. Teams such as Sunnybank, Souths Brisbane in QLD would do well at full strength as will the top Canberra clubs in the comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.