• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACT Brumbies v NSW Waratahs, GIO Stadium 31 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Apart from the effect of the extreme temperatures in the Tahs' win over the Rebels last week, it seemed to me that the other major contributing factor to the win was the high ball tactic to Folou's wing. I think he won every contest for the ball in the air and many led to attacking moves and tries being scored.

I wonder if the Brumbies have devised a counter tactic for next week's derby? Who would be the best opponent for Folau on the wing? Maybe Taliauli, or even Banks? Would there be a player anywhere who could shut down Folau if the Tahs bring a similar game plan to Canberra? I am thinking it might be best to just concede the air to Izzy and have someone (an exceptional defender) waiting to take him to ground immediately he returns from his flight. Of course, Folau also has the ability to off load while flying like superman, so a second player would need to be there too to take out the support runner or to turn over any loose ball. It needs to have players who are patient and know how to perform their task, otherwise they will be liable to be just brushed aside by Folau.

Whatever is planned, I hope they put a lot of work into getting their plays spot on by game time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tahs have won two and drawn one game so far this year. Brumbies have two wins and two losses.

Drilling down into the detail of those games, the Tahs have beaten the Rebels who beat the Brumbies. Reds beat the Brumbies and then lost to the Stormers last week. Tahs beat the Stormers in the early rounds. Brumbies beat the Sharks at home but the Tahs drew with them in Durban. On all counts, the form guide favours the Tahs to have an easy win.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Don’t know if any of that indicates an easy win, but you’d think they would be marginal favourites. On the flip side is the psychological barrier of having to stay in Canberra for a couple of nights.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm amazed the Tahs are such favourites with the bookies. It's never easy to win away in Canberra. Definitely think the Brumbies are good value here.

The Tahs will have to play really well to win it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Brumbies should take this at home, I expect their pigs to get up, take the space and smother the backs

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah - informed fans looking at the respective game plans. Just hope the coaches pay as much attention as we do.
Not sure the brumbies have the back three to defuse them, at least not against folau. Might have to do it via pressure on the kickers, which would certainly fit the physical style these derbies tend to follow. Have to be bloody accurate to avoid cards though

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hoping for an absolute torid and extremely physical contest.

Hope all the players engage at the full 100% for the full 80 minutes.

The best I can hope for is a draw, say 5 all.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Thinking of making a lightning trip down and back on Saturday arvo/evening, anyone interested in joining me?

Status
Not open for further replies.