• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACTJRU U18 & ACT Schools XV 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Mate the Simonsson from the U16s last year went to St Augustines, not knox, a clear example of your lack of knowledge right there. Knox Would Struggle to make Top 10 as they are Predicted to finish mid table of the CAS comp this year. I would say St Auguestines, OakHill, Barker (predicted to win CAS) all clearly better then them, along with Joeys, View, Newington, Shore, Scots, Kings. I wouldn't refer to a school as being "one of the best Rugby schools in Sydney" if we can clearly state that many schools who are easily better then Knox.

You could be right, it might have been the younger brother who attended Knox?? I havent said Knox are the best school in Sydney, only that they are up there. Their record speaks for itself, this year may be a weaker year but then if thats the case it only reflects of Marist I guess...they must be even weaker which is a worry and if they come up against some of the sides you mentioned it could be a massacre. Lets hope their 7's commitments dont get in the way if they are shceduled to meet one of the big name schools. When I went to Marist it was one of the best Rugby schools in Australia not just the ACT. Times have changed by the look of it.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Roughly 5 Injured, Mate you can get an injuries from training and the 7s comp they played in. There are 10 1st players who are playing in the 7s Finals at Canberra stadium on the Friday night, hence why they are not playing St Gregs on the Saturday. The younger Simonsson's Team Beat knox 27-15, so what thrashing are you referring too? Your lack of knowledge is more embarrassing then the loss to Knox, saying they are a top Sydney rugby school is a ridiculous statement and clearly an uneducated one
I am not sure how you evaluate what constitutes a "top Sydney rugby school" - across the board (ie 1stXV thru to 13Gs) Knox probably rank only behind Joeys, Iggies, Kings, and Shore, all of whom used to have Knox on their pre-season schedule for this very reason. Knox boys in SuperXV include Ben Alexander, Nathan Charles, Tom Carter, Nic Stirzacker, Lachlan Mitchell - not bad. There are a significant number playing Shute Shield, and Knox Old Boys will run out 6 teams next Saturday in first division Subbies. When we are talking true rugby nurseries Knox has few peers.
PS I have no association with the school other than a few rugby injuries. :)

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am not sure how you evaluate what constitutes a "top Sydney rugby school" - across the board (ie 1stXV thru to 13Gs) Knox probably rank only behind Joeys, Iggies, Kings, and Shore, all of whom used to have Knox on their pre-season schedule for this very reason. Knox boys in SuperXV include Ben Alexander, Nathan Charles, Tom Carter, Nic Stirzacker, Lachlan Mitchell - not bad. There are a significant number playing Shute Shield, and Knox Old Boys will run out 6 teams next Saturday in first division Subbies. When we are talking true rugby nurseries Knox has few peers.
PS I have no association with the school other than a few rugby injuries. :)

Thank god I am not the only uneducated one here.

uninorths

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone have any more predictions for 1stXV this year? Standout players? Did anyone catch the NGS vs Brumbies Talent Centre game on Saturday night before the Brumbies?

Meeks

Bob McCowan (2)
Standout players not sure? I know at our club with Senior Rugby League U18's playing 95% of all their games on a Saturday we are struggling to keep quality players as they being paid to play league. Who can blame them they are receiving $50-$100 a game plus a bonus if they win, and unfortunately we can’t match it or offer them scholarships. We really will not know who is in and or out until we play the first round with players having a foot in both camps. For example, this weekend’s trial we have 12 players unavailable as they playing league or injured so it’s getting frustrating. If we have our best team I have no doubt we could go toe to toe with most teams, if we don’t get our best players it is going to be a long season and I 'm hearing a couple of other clubs are in the same boat. We are trying to solve part of the issue by playing our home games on Friday Nights, which helps for half of the year. but unknown for the other games.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Standout players not sure? I know at our club with Senior Rugby League U18's playing 95% of all their games on a Saturday we are struggling to keep quality players as they being paid to play league. Who can blame them they are receiving $50-$100 a game plus a bonus if they win, and unfortunately we can’t match it or offer them scholarships. We really will not know who is in and or out until we play the first round with players having a foot in both camps. For example, this weekend’s trial we have 12 players unavailable as they playing league or injured so it’s getting frustrating. If we have our best team I have no doubt we could go toe to toe with most teams, if we don’t get our best players it is going to be a long season and I 'm hearing a couple of other clubs are in the same boat. We are trying to solve part of the issue by playing our home games on Friday Nights, which helps for half of the year. but unknown for the other games.

Meeks, this is sad to hear. Considering all the work you guys were putting in to build up the profile and esteem of the '1st XV' down there it's dissapointing that it may get undermined by the mungos and their money. Why are they opting to play on Saturdays so often this year? Have they found God and need to be in church on Sundays? Hopefuly things can sort themselves out to the advantage of you guys rather than the league. The competition will only be weakend if Vikings cannot field their strongest XV each week.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I see Marist has an upcoming trial against Riverview. They smashed eddies on the weekend by 30 points or so. Given Marists performance against Knox, it could get ugly, really ugly. Do we know if they will be fielding a 1st XV or will 7's commtiments intervene again?

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
I see Marist has an upcoming trial against Riverview. They smashed eddies on the weekend by 30 points or so. Given Marists performance against Knox, it could get ugly, really ugly. Do we know if they will be fielding a 1st XV or will 7's commtiments intervene again?

Riverview have played Marist Ashgrove 2 weeks ago and they cleaned up Eddies on the weekend.

Riverview v Marist Ashgrove 1sts: Win 35-7
Riverview v Marist Ashgrove 2nds: Win 10-0

Riverview v St Edmunds 1sts: Win 46-5
Riverview v St Edmunds 2nds: Win 44-12

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Riverview have played Marist Ashgrove 2 weeks ago and they cleaned up Eddies on the weekend.

Riverview v Marist Ashgrove 1sts: Win 35-7
Riverview v Marist Ashgrove 2nds: Win 10-0

Riverview v St Edmunds 1sts: Win 46-5
Riverview v St Edmunds 2nds: Win 44-12

Did you watch the Eddies v View game George? Thats a hiding for Eddies, I cant remember the last time they would have copped treatment like that, maybe Joeys about 6-7 years ago?

Has anybody heard about how Dara are shaping up? I have heard they have bought in a coach from outside the school.

blackie

Bob McCowan (2)
Did you watch the Eddies v View game George? Thats a hiding for Eddies, I cant remember the last time they would have copped treatment like that, maybe Joeys about 6-7 years ago?

Has anybody heard about how Dara are shaping up? I have heard they have bought in a coach from outside the school.

Dara played Chev on Saturday in 2 x 18 minute halves.

Chev forwards dominated the first half and in particular at scrum time.Chev led 2 tries to nil at the break. Chev Coach made some changes at halftime and Dara took advantage scoring 3 tries in 5 minutes to run out victors 4 tries to 2.

Once they got some ball the 10,12 and 13 for Dara looked good.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Th
Dara played Chev on Saturday in 2 x 18 minute halves.

Chev forwards dominated the first half and in particular at scrum time.Chev led 2 tries to nil at the break. Chev Coach made some changes at halftime and Dara took advantage scoring 3 tries in 5 minutes to run out victors 4 tries to 2.

Once they got some ball the 10,12 and 13 for Dara looked good.[/quote

Thats a good result, I have read elsewhere that Chev are not a bad side this year and will be very competitve in their ISA division. I think they knocked off a Div1 side the other week. How do you think Dara will fair this year in the local comp?

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Thats a good result, I have read elsewhere that Chev are not a bad side this year and will be very competitve in their ISA division. I think they knocked off a Div1 side the other week. How do you think Dara will fair this year in the local comp?

blackie

Bob McCowan (2)
I am not familiar with the relative strengths of the ACT comp.

At times the body height of their forwards was poor and they will have to work on their scrum.

Having said that the 2 props from Chev are both very good with one representing NSW Schools under 16's in 2012. Both are in the JGS squad.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)

one of my snouts reported the scores...

Equation

Stan Wickham (3)
Small pre-season tournament at West's juniors home ground O'Connor yesterday. 25 Minute games, 15 a-side, no halftime, no conversions. I know a couple of the results, here they are:

Uni-Norths 40 - 0 Cooma
Gungahlin 15 - 0 Wests
Gungahlin 15 - 20 Vikings
Uni-Norths 30 - 5 Gungahlin
Wests 10 - 5 Vikings

jamey jones

Frank Nicholson (4)
eddies recently played st augustines up in manly;
eddies 1st 15 won 36-33 after trailing 21-7 at haltime eddies centre tomane scored 3 times
eddies u12 won 80-0
eddies u14 won 26-19 after trailing 19-0 at halftikme. this was definently one of the best junior rugby games ive ever seen

Daniel Denton

Stan Wickham (3)
You'd have to say that Eddies look the goods once again. What a bold prediction.. However, after seeing them get absolutely thrashed by Riverview, it is important for teams to learn that size does not matter. The Riverview side were still much smaller than the Eddies side, but their ball skills, breakdown structure and intensity, their attacking structure and also their cover defence proved to be the difference. Line speed is the key. They also look vulnerable around the area of flyhalf. A season ending injury to Naudia will see either Brendan Trudgen, Jordan Hope, or Mitchell Douch fill the void. All small men who can be exposed in defence. Beau Donovan, probably the best player for St Edmunds has repeated year 12. Space will there for him to exploit with a lot of attention focused on Joseph Tomane's younger brother.

As for the other contenders:
Marist - Are always strong. They have arguably the best forward in the competition, Dean Paragalli. Not to mention other key forwards including the big Suita Tai. Marist have a good back line that has a very quick fullback in Tom Evans out the back.

Grammar - Will really struggle this year after an outstanding 1st placed finish last season. They have little depth. Will not make the top 4. Only strong players are Pat Rumble and Sean Cross (if he's still there).

Daramalan: Have potential to do something special this year. No doubting they have players capable of beating Marist and Eddies. Their experience will prove a big player, as their back line is the same as last year. James Rumble is their go-to man, often breaking the line. However they also have strong ball runners in Andrew Durham and Jack Huckstepp, and a very good ball winner in Ethan Jones. They're back line is a solid one with the only slight weakness being speed. They also one of the better kicking game's out the back with their fullback.

Norths: Look to be the only club that could be a contender. They have recruited a Southern Inland player by the name of Seth Stoltenberg who is a very good half back. Their best player Callum Richardson is a hard worker, who leads by example. Norths have a spread of polynesian boys throughout their team. It's whether or not these boys can switch their heads on and prove what talent they have. Leu Saipani is dangerous, however often goes missing in games. Nick Feakes is said to be the Five-Eight for Norths and if so, could prove to be a liability in defence.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Eddies to win for my money. Marists pre season form has been very ordinary at best. Dara may pose a threat??? As for the rest it looks doubtful.

Is Paragali any chance of a possible Aussie Schools spot? On that note any other possibles for possible Aussie Schools selection?

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ever the cynic I will predict Eddies will have some representation in the Aussie schools this year regardless of where they finish in the ACTJRU....why? The names Wallace, Langtry and Pini appear prominently as members of the ASRU committee. Looking back on history this is a fair conclusion to make even at this early stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.