• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Adongo to make NFL debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeahmate

Peter Burge (5)
that's surprising I thought I read somewhere a few months ago he got dropped. His athleticism is freakish, makes SBW look bad. Funny how in the article the keep calling him a star, what do we know about him? He's played in the ITM cup and I saw he was on the bench for the Kings but didnt see much of him, was a decent player?

T

tranquility

Did you watch the ITM highlights?

He cleared rucks on his own. I have never seen such cleanout power.

Clearly not the finished product, but he would make the Wallabies pretty quickly if eligible.

yeahmate

Peter Burge (5)
Yeah saw that, breaks a lot of 1st up tackles to from that video, from what I read on his wiki profile he had trouble making the 1st xv of two Currie cup teams and played for Counties Manakau in the 2nd div ITM cup and from there fell off his bench spot for the Kings, he also didn't stay in any one place long, no more than a season or two. Has probs gone from shit all in rugby to 400,000 a year in the NFL now though

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Are you serious? His only involvement in the game was a kick-off return. He fumbled the ball, re-gathered for -2 yards. That was it.

deL

Stan Wickham (3)
Isn't that pretty much a Hooper-like level of involvement in the sport? There are so few chances to stand out for the majority of positions - the fact they only kicked the ball ONCE to the guy who has never played before supports that. Good that he is moving bodies though, that's what he's there for.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Some rather uninformed comment on this thread, which is fair enough since this is a rugby forum. :)

Adongo is projected to play linebacker, a defensive position, and will most likely ended up as a pass-rusher, given his frame and strength. That means his job will largely be to fight through the offensive line and hit the QB.

For now, he's playing special teams, which is often the way NFL teams transition raw players into a bigger role. He played a dozen snaps on Sunday, which means he was on the field for 12 plays -- all of them special teams plays, meaning punts, kick-offs, etc. His job is to clear the way (block) for the guy on his team who does receive the ball OR to tackle the guy on the other team who receives the ball. The latter requires him to fight through - "throw off" - the other sides blockers. Proving that he can do that consistently, accurately, and forcefully will be key to how quickly he gets a chance on the defensive team itself.

The kick recovery bit that people are talking about is largely irrelevant. It's not his job to receive the ball. I didn't see the play in question, but probably it was a wayward punt that he was forced to make a play on. It's great that he didn't screw it up, but not what the coaches will care about.

As for a Hooper-like involvement? No.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
@Richo

I'm expecting to see him debut at strong side linebacker, especially so considering he's been reported to have bulked up significantly as per that article.

Is Adongo quick? I'm not sure if he's going to have the agility to be a JPP or Von Miller-esque pass rusher, as he's being hyped up. It really comes down to his ability to get around the edge -- we will probably have to wait for his first time actually playing at OLB to see this.

Watching him shed blocks playing for specials teams makes me think he'll have a lot of success at stopping the run though. With his power he shouldn't have any issue throwing aside TEs or FBs his size. He seems to have a knack for the physics of blocking, which is great for his future. Blocking is one of those incredibly technical aspects of the game that gets overlooked too often by the average punter.

How he handles the increasing demand for the OLB to drop into coverage as the NFL progresses into a more pass-heavy league will be interesting as well.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
@USARugger

I've never seen him play rugby, so I don't know much about his quickness, etc. He certainly seems to have real potential -- having guys like Mathis say such specific things in praise is a good sign too.

Status
Not open for further replies.