• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Age old competition between backs and forwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheTruth

Had the following poem sent to me yesterday - thought it might bring a smile or grimace to the followers of GAGR (depending on being a forward or back)

"My Son the Back" by unknown author

I woke up with a headache that'd hung around for days
And half a pack of aspirin wouldn't make it go away
I knew the thing that caused it, and it made me feel depressed
It wasn't too much alcohol, but simply too much stress.

I ranf my local doctor in my quest to get it fixed
A chat and some prescription drugs would surely do the trick.
I drove to my appointment and arrived in ample time
Then waited, watched and read until the next name called was mine.

I walked into the doctor's room, he checked me up and down
Then peered over his glasses as he asked me with a frown
"Are you worried your blood pressuer might be up again?
Or is your gout and hernia a cause of constant pain?

"Are you being bothered by your bulging lumbar disc?
Your slowly failing eyesight or your sub-coetaneous cyst?
Your rheumatoid arthritis or those ulcers on your tongue?
Your kidney stones, your fungus, or those dark spots on your lung?

Your low sperm count, your dodgy knee, that cancer on your hand?
That rasah around your anus, your grotesquely swollen gland?
Well surely, then, you're worried 'bout your pending heart attack
"No," I said, "I'm worried that my son's become a back."

"He's only short in stature and his thighs and arms are small
he cries when he gets injured and he cannot catch the ball
He'd rather kick than tackle and his nose is deadly straight
He'd rather hang out with his mum than drink beer with his mates."

"His ears aren't cauliflowered and he will not tape his head
And every night, by 8 o'clock, he's tucked up in his bed
He's fast and he's elusive and the girls all think he's cute
And as for scrums and lineouts, well, he hasn't got a clue

"His body isn't hairy and he very rarely sweats
He'd rather read a book than play in winter when its wet
He's never skulled a schooner and he's quick to bite and scratch
He whinges, whines and finds my Gary Owens hard to catch."

"He's never purchased a punching bag, or benched his own weight
Or stacked the bar and squatted - doing sets of six to eight
His head is bigger than his neck, he can't secure the ball
he's never seen a prop up close or drove a rollong maul

As I described the symptoms my good doctor simply smiled
I said: 'You don't understand - this is my only child
I tell you Doc, I'm worried, is there something I can do?"
"Give it time," the doctor said, "Your son is only two."

Guru

Frank Row (1)
The Poem Guy is Mick Colliss. Originally from Sydney, he moved to Perth in 1988 to study and play rugby at the University of Western Australia. His poetry has been recited on 2UE, 6PR, ABC, Channel 10 and Channel 7 and published in The Sydney Morning Herald, The West Australian, The Sunday Times, Rugby League Week and Rugby News. He was awarded ‘Best Sports Poem in 2002’ by SMH columnist and best selling author, Peter FitzSimons.

Mick has performed at numerous functions including the Carlton-Mid Derby Lunch; the West Coast Eagles ten year premiership anniversary; lunches and dinners before rugby test matches in Perth and Sydney; the Sandover Medal award ceremony and at the dinner to decide WA’s Greatest Ever Sports Star.

A keen sports fan, Mick competed in surf lifesaving ironman events and represented Western Australia in rugby union. He also vice-captained Australia at the World Sudoku Championships in 2008. A rugby commentator on Perth radio 6PR in his spare time, Mick is married with two young boys and by day is a Director of Cooch Creative, a regional advertising and marketing consultancy based in Wembley.

T

TheTruth

The Poem Guy is Mick Colliss. Originally from Sydney, he moved to Perth in 1988 to study and play rugby at the University of Western Australia. His poetry has been recited on 2UE, 6PR, ABC, Channel 10 and Channel 7 and published in The Sydney Morning Herald, The West Australian, The Sunday Times, Rugby League Week and Rugby News. He was awarded ‘Best Sports Poem in 2002’ by SMH columnist and best selling author, Peter FitzSimons.

Mick has performed at numerous functions including the Carlton-Mid Derby Lunch; the West Coast Eagles ten year premiership anniversary; lunches and dinners before rugby test matches in Perth and Sydney; the Sandover Medal award ceremony and at the dinner to decide WA’s Greatest Ever Sports Star.

A keen sports fan, Mick competed in surf lifesaving ironman events and represented Western Australia in rugby union. He also vice-captained Australia at the World Sudoku Championships in 2008. A rugby commentator on Perth radio 6PR in his spare time, Mick is married with two young boys and by day is a Director of Cooch Creative, a regional advertising and marketing consultancy based in Wembley.

Guru,
thanks for that - i just loved it - do you know or have anymore of his rugby stuff

Guru

Frank Row (1)
He has a sporting poetry book out. I dont know what its called. I see him around the local rugby traps from time to time. I'll ask him next time i'm talking to him.

T

TheTruth

He has a sporting poetry book out. I dont know what its called. I see him around the local rugby traps from time to time. I'll ask him next time i'm talking to him.

Thanks Guru - look forward to it (whenever)

Status
Not open for further replies.