• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindSide6

Allen Oxlade (6)
TP,
Can you fill me in on the rugby league decision. Are we talking having rugby league as a sport in term 3? Will it be available for all grades or only select ages like AFL this year.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
TP,
Can you fill me in on the rugby league decision. Are we talking having rugby league as a sport in term 3? Will it be available for all grades or only select ages like AFL this year.

BS ( unfortunate...chuckle )
All thats still to be worked out and you would expect a bit of experimentation depending on how many sign up...but full AIC sports they are as in all grades all term not just a tournament. I think its better suited to Term 3.

F

Footy.Freak

SLC firsts 15 went down in their first trial at souths yesterday

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
I heard GPS Rugby Club are hosting Marist v Downlands College in a trial. I'm still scratching here - why is Downlands not in the AIC or GPS competition ? For years they offered to play all their games away for the first three years and still got the cold shoulder. Some say it's because they're a boarding school and the like of any AIC or GPS Boarding Schools don't want any opposition show casing their worth on game day. In an era where more rugby schools are feeding players to RL, why would you not want to give an elite school like Downlands the opportunity to assist in bolstering schoolboy rugby in any way possible. You have NRL clubs who still send player scouts to watch Toowoomba Grammar and Downlands just to make sure they see everyone. Meanwhile Downlands tread water in no mans land. Playing AIC in Term 2 seems dated. Both AIC and GPS should be played at the same time whether they start mid term two or term three doesn't matter. They should run parallel.

AIC would be a better fit for them. They would be far too uncompetiitve for the GPS comp.

BlindSide6

Allen Oxlade (6)
AIC would be a better fit for them. They would be far too uncompetiitve for the GPS comp.

For me, competitiveness in GPS is a direct result of the extent and quality of ring-ins/scholarships. On that basis, any school could be competitive in GPS if they were willing to consistently bring in a multitude of quality recruits. You put 5 or so high standard recruits into the Padua premiership teams of the previous few years and they would have been competitive in GPS. If Downlands did the same amount of recruiting that Nudgee, TSS and BBC do then they would be competitive as well.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Blindy

You forgot to mention Gregory Terrace , Ipswich Grammar , Toowoomba Grammar and the gerrymandered catchment lines of State High

Which leaves Churchie and Grammar ........although I hear Churchie are getting a bit more active in the under age groups

Anyway ....back to AIC - I agree with you that Padua have had some of the best individual talent to be found anywhere in any school over the last few years .

I would probably say that Padua and Pats have had the best top line of talent seen in AIC in recent times - but this year's Marist Opens have a couple of boys who are right there

Re : Downlands - I would put them on a similar level to Churchie and Grammar and would not be disgraced in GPS competition , and would probably be #1 or #2 in the AIC Comp

Guys like Kohan Herbert ( last year ) and Mac Grealy ( this year ) are true national quality talents and then they do have genuinely next level down talents . I think what the issue is through the majority of their age groups is that they have 1 or 2 stand out talents , then another good half a dozen or so ........then there is a pretty big drop off in say the bottom 3rd composition of their teams

Its not a talent issue but a depth issue

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Spot on GO! Downlands 1st XV 2 years ago was a very impressive outfit, beating a number of GPS schools (some punters will say it was their school's 2nd XV, but as we know some of those top end 2nd XV teams would knock a few 1st XV's off on their day). They massacred us up the range in 2015 with one of biggest teams I've seen!

I think with Downlands being in a competition, that would be a bigger carrot to dangle for prospective students and families which would improve their performances at junior level. They put time into their program with Garrick Morgan overseeing things. I'd love to see them in AIC!

I'm hearing rumblings of AIC getting their backs up about the QLD schools selection pathway and how unfair it is for AIC and good kids missing out. Lachlan Connors (Australian schoolboys) from St Pat's was an absolute standout at all levels last year and in previous years Pat's had Skelton (Australian 7s) and Sikimeti (Australian schoolboys). That Padua side you mention as well from 2015/16 would have given the top GPS sides a serious run I reckon - they were massive with classy backs - 5/6 QLD schoolboys from memory?, one of those boys is now in the Australian u20s squad as well. I think we should stop whinging and follow Marist, Padua and Pat's lead and get our programs better - rugby league certainly isn't the solution.

We'll all be complaining about losing kids to the Keebra's, Marsdens, Wavell's and Ipswich SHS on top of kids going to the darkside of GPS rugby.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Sounds like everyone agrees, AIC would be a better fit, for all the reasons you have stated.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Can see how they would fit with MCA hosting a trial with Downlands tomorrow afternoon. Both schools have their First XV squads touring NZ over the Easter break and keen for a hit out before heading across the ditch.

Will most likely be a high rotation from both benches, but interested to see what combinations are used.

Kick and Chase

Bob McCowan (2)
I am hearing Downlands won 24/12
The score last night in the Marist vs Downlands game blew out in the last two 20 minute quarters when the 2nds were on - there were clear differences in the speed and physicality between the 1s and 2s. The first two 20 minute periods was the two 1st sides with a couple of bench players interchanged. In the first two 20 minute periods Marist spent the majority of the time in Downlands half however failed to finish off many try scoring opportunities. There appeared to be some good signs for Marist - the backline looked sharp at times when they shifted the ball and the scrum was strong - defence through the ruck was also strong - Marist need to work on their support play and the line out was poor however given it was their first hit out the signs are looking good.

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hear that MCA are not even considering Hogan at 10 due to his 1st Volleyball commitments and him being unable to get to all training sessions until next week. Looks like they are going with the 16B 10 from last year. Big call particularly defensively.

Would you say defense is a big part of his game ? I think the halves defense aren't going to be their strength.
The forwards while very capable aren't the same dominates they had last year. Hogan will be their choice for sure and he's a forwards flyhalf and that could be a worry if they don't dominate in the forwards. He'll be there for sure.

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
Re Downlands etc. It wont happen, Ambrose Treacy are lobbying much harder and are more appropriate but I cant see the "bye" round being added due to crowded scheduling with the introduction of League and AFL as of next year .Nothing against Downlands they deserve the respect and reputation they have which makes them a bit special ( in a good way ) they do play some trials against some AIC and maybe these matches could be less about trialling and more about a trophy game such as Vs TGS. The AIC was formed in difficult political circumstances where some long time friends such as St Pauls ( Ben Tune ) were let go and they are tight and as one on no new schools espec those that cant play 4 teams in every sport in every age..and that counts most schools out anyway.even a couple of AIC. With Rugby League and AFL added, it can be viewed as a step forward or a step back. It might keep the League'ies available for Rugby as they might give up one club league season to play 2 rugby codes in different terms. Just hope that AIC rugby still fields their best athletes, this will involve some interesting scheduling. Thats it for my first ever post and having said that I have no idea who can do it this year but if its south of the river it will be Iona.

That's the best argument for having Downlands in the AIC competition. Rugby needs it, the AIC needs it, it's ridiculous to think Ambrose could push before Downlands. I think everyone knows it's not their logistics, it's because they're a Boarding School and none of the GPS or AIC Boarding Schools want Downlands showcasing their beautiful facilities and possibly diverting enrollments from Brisbane. It's a money thing.

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
Compared to Grammar or State High from last year ?? There were two distinct pools of strength in the GPS last year and I wouldn't say the 2nd Pool were particularly strong.

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am hearing Downlands won 24/12

Lads took me to GPS last night - good to be chauffeured. Marist looked like it was their first hit out. They got beaten in the line outs and their choice of forwards running themselves instead of passing to the backline wasn't the best choices. Hogan turned the good ball to the forwards a bit too often instead of feeding his backs, but there were also forwards between him and the centres, he will only get better with match play and his backline will benefit with some faster ball. The marist centres actually look strong. The choice of the Leagie forward Brooks at 12 looked Ok but he didn't pass the ball and runs back towards the forwards predictably. Their coaches are too good not to iron that out. Lachie T-W at 13 broke the defense every time he got the ball and scored their only try. He may starve at 13, but it's only their first game apparently. Kale Van-D looked solid as did their fullback who I haven't seen before. Rozka and the rest of the forwards will be better after the hitout. Marist were all over them until Lachie T-W scored and then Marist took the foot off the throat and let Downlands back in. Rozka looked a bit rusty but he'll dominate come seasons start. Their 4 & 5 played well, the forwards just didn't quite gel. Downlands forwards were really well drilled by Morgan and they looked like season campaigners. I'd love to see these two play each other again this season. Ill head over again for the marist Padua match in this season. Can't wait to see Danny Heenan at No.10 and hopefully Harry Taylor will be back in the centres. Big Bruce will carry the school books on his back again.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Good summation Ali

I thought the standard was pretty good considering how early in the season it is

Marist 13 is slick . Very impressive .

If Marist can consistently get their opponents on their heels this season with the right balance of forward runners - LTW and KVD should clean up out wide

Downlands 10 and 15 looked the goods. 15 especially looks like a broken field killer - consistently breaking first up defenders and linking up with his outside players

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Good summation Ali

I thought the standard was pretty good considering how early in the season it is

Marist 13 is slick . Very impressive .

If Marist can consistently get their opponents on their heels this season with the right balance of forward runners - LTW and KVD should clean up out wide

Downlands 10 and 15 looked the goods. 15 especially looks like a broken field killer - consistently breaking first up defenders and linking up with his outside players

MCA 13 = LTW I assume?

Didn't see the game, but based on what I've been told I'd be surprised to see Brooks stay at 12.

The 12 position might be the weakness in the MCA backline this year, if so not exactly where you want to be chopping and changing guys, but very early days and the NZ tour will no doubt sort out a lot of positional issues.

As for Downlands' entry to AIC, do we know that they've actually applied? I've heard a few different stories/theories, but one consistent theme (quite possibly wrong) is that they're not particularly strong at anything except rugby. That sounds questionable when at least a few AIC schools are relatively weak in a number of mainstream sports like swimming and athletics.

Ali's theory about boarders might have some credibility, only because it's a fact that all boarding schools are competing/struggling for numbers. For instance, I know BGS only has 13 Year 8 boarders this year, and I've heard that IGS is in some real financial strife.

Status
Not open for further replies.