• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2019

Reds Brad

Peter Burge (5)
Drama aside, its great to be talking about a good SLC rugby team taking on their traditional rivals. Ash with it all to lose as their program, coaches, money spent, focus, development etc far exceeds SLC so if they cannot pull this off as expected they should it will be interesting times ahead at Marist.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Drama aside, its great to be talking about a good SLC rugby team taking on their traditional rivals. Ash with it all to lose as their program, coaches, money spent, focus, development etc far exceeds SLC so if they cannot pull this off as expected they should it will be interesting times ahead at Marist.

Interesting comment, what "money spent" and "development"are you referring to?

All of the MCA coaches are full-time teachers at the school, the team's "development" consists of training hard in the gym and on the field (like every other team, I'd expect) and I'm unaware of any money being spent by the school on the First XV over and above the usual expenses, with the boys paying their own way on their annual NZ tours.

If MCA loses this week I'm pretty sure the team will quickly move on to the next game without hanging Dave Miles or Anthony Mathison off the Tower Block.

For selfish reasons I hope the SLC team is as nervous as all of their supporters on here, I guess it has been a long time since 2008 but the desperation is palpable.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just a general warning to lay off individual kids. These players are just that - kids. We don't need to single anyone out as overrated or not up to it etc. I've banned a few folk for doing as such and will happily do it if I see more.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Pats went down 48-0 to Marist and 17-10 to Lauries. Past form means nothing but a 5 try difference in these teams is about right. Lauries midfield will want to be good to shut down the 12/13 channel.

Lauries won't want to kick away possession because the back three are dynamite.

So it becomes a grind in the forwards but Lauries won't be able to last the 70 minutes doing that. Marist are too fit, smart and well drilled. Plus their 2nd XV bench seem to be as good as the players they replace.

melomvp

Allen Oxlade (6)
Pats went down 48-0 to Marist and 17-10 to Lauries. Past form means nothing but a 5 try difference in these teams is about right. Lauries midfield will want to be good to shut down the 12/13 channel.

Lauries won't want to kick away possession because the back three are dynamite.

So it becomes a grind in the forwards but Lauries won't be able to last the 70 minutes doing that. Marist are too fit, smart and well drilled. Plus their 2nd XV bench seem to be as good as the players they replace.

LAuries are very fit to and can play entire games at high intensity, lauries are ready for the challenge and will push ashgrove.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
The ASH v SLC game has the potential to be a cracker. Lets hope its played in good spirit with a massive crowd.
Based on the SPC comparison ASH very slight favourites but it should be close when comparing strengths. ASH got 2 quick tries in the first 5 min against SPC and that set the platform from there. SLC will need to be confident as winning is instilled in the MCA boys.

Clarence McLean

Bob McCowan (2)
Past performance means very little in terms of the result of this week's game, but at the same time it's a bit laughable for anyone to rely on individual games in 2017 when attempting to predict the outcome of a schoolboys game in 2019.

However, if you did want to look back at previous MCA v SLC results as a some kind of predictor for this Saturday's First XV game, surely 2018 is a better guide than 2017.

I'd say that in 2018 just about every boy playing in the Firsts for MCA and SLC this Saturday played in either the First XV, Second XV or Year 10 A's, so what were the results of those games?

First XV: MCA 57 SLC 5
Second XV: MCA 50 SLC 0
10 A's: MCA 17 SLC 7

I'm sure both sides fully believe they can win on Saturday, climbing Everest will be the last thing on the minds of the Lauries boys, so the result will simply come down to a contest of talent and execution.

On the significance of the game being played on Old Boys day, I made the point last year when Iona played SPC on their Old Boys day to seal an undefeated premiership that the crowd expectation can often have a negative effect on the home team and so it proved that day. This week, who knows?

hence my use of the word "if".

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeah tend to agree . Too much pressure on Lauries I think . Works in MCA's favour
As a neutral in this battle of online predictions i predict an MCA win - Laurie’s were not that impressive against Pats and only rolled Villa in the trial by a conversion. Admittedly it was a trial but there was nothing in it - MCA are the stand out side of the comp and should win. Never say anything is a certainty in rugby but the form says Laurie’s will struggle.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Tips:
Villa v Iona (Villa by 20+)
Padua v SPLC (Padua by 20+)
SEC v SPC (SPC by 50+)
SLC v ASH (ASH by 20+, though I hope its closer).

melomvp

Allen Oxlade (6)
As a neutral in this battle of online predictions i predict an MCA win - Laurie’s were not that impressive against Pats and only rolled Villa in the trial by a conversion. Admittedly it was a trial but there was nothing in it - MCA are the stand out side of the comp and should win. Never say anything is a certainty in rugby but the form says Laurie’s will struggle.

yeah i agree lauries were not impressive against pats and villa, however lauries were very impressive against iona and eddies. I agree that Ashgrove should theoretically win quite dominantly but lauries thrive on the underdog tag it will be interesting to see.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Great feature on young MCA winger Dwayne Ludwick in Courier Mail rugby section today, with a nod to this weekends main fixture. Loving the exposure the AIC season is getting this year, long may it continue. Looking forward to a huge day out at Runcorn with some entertaining and no doubt close games across all age groups, not just the opens. Should be a cracker. Also, good luck to all the lads representing your respective schools this weekend.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
As a general rule the teams that have been beaten wont get better at all against the top 3. Hence my form guide that Villa will get up by 20+ (after a grinding first half).
Tip for SLC v ASH game, ASH No 6 to be man of the match. Baker is awsome, only just shaded by the capt No 7 and the in centre No12. Only 2 sleeps.
Safe games all.