• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2019

Lolinski

Bob McCowan (2)
Thanks for the reply. I thought it would be fairer to be playing by age groups for the obvious reason that you play against boys your own age (like club rugby). After watching some club rugby last year, the difference in size between Under 12’s and Under 13’s was ridiculous. Also, if the school intake is from July to June, wouldn’t that work out to be roughly half the year group older and half younger?

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
yes so if you are born shortly after the cut off date you could be playing against someone 11 months younger and if you are born at the end of the cut off you can play against someone 11 months older. That happens either way. The AIC idea is that the cutoff is the same as the school intake so that you play with and against your school year. There is never more than 11 months difference. Club and GPS have the old ( Feb 1 I Think ) cutoff. This used to match school but not anymore. So club and GPS have ( say U 15 ) used to be all grade 10 but now is half grade 9 and half grade 10. Either way if you are lucky you will be born closer to the beginning of the cut off rather than at the end. Signed Confused.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
So if you're born in January/February, in theory, you have an advantage in club or the GPS comp.

If you're born July/August, you might have an advantage in an AIC comp.

But if they ever bring in weight divisions...

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
it doesn't ever really even out at school with first XVs still dominated by the older age group/year.

The good thing about rugby is there is a role for all sizes, shapes and capabilities.

I like what Tim Horan was saying tonight on radio about the proposal to issue schoolboys with a "front row passport" which will be mandatory if you want to play prop or hooker in contested scrums. A good safety measure if adopted, although at this stage I think it's only been proposed to the 9 GPS schools. Not sure if anyone knows more? Please share if you do.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Because that's the weekend they have always been held. The only difference being that it has become the pathway for AIC students to the Qld this year.

I'm sure in the future they could make it a rugby free weekend for AIC schools so all their players could trial.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Lauries were fielding mostly 2nds and 3rd XV players after massive injury toll right from trial match No 1 last year.
It will be a different story this year

DominosPizza

Bob McCowan (2)
Cheers for this info lads, heard rumblings at Iona that they have 5-7 returning players in this years team including some grade 11's in their second season.

P

Patriot

Anyone else think that the introduction of league in term 3 is ridiculous? Wouldn’t it be better for the development of quality Rugby to play the comp in term 3, so a pre season with a number of trials/camps can be conducted in term 2 ?

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Wouldn’t it be better for the development of quality Rugby to play the comp in term 3, so a pre season with a number of trials/camps can be conducted in term 2 ?[/quote]

Good question you raise but it all goes back to the fact that GPS pushed back rugby to term 3 away from soccer to try to get more kids playing rugby.....it didnt work numbers did not increase....similar numbers play in AIC which shares term 2 with soccer...as GPS who dont share term 3 with soccer.

The fact is that to keep school enrolments going forward AIC and with maybe 1 exception they are the biggest schools around now, offer AFL and Rugby League now on a 2 year trial. AFL wont be going away and alot of the rugby boys are shining in AFL...why ? because its mostly all about raw talent.
In my opinion you are better off going to a school where you play all three and develop your all round skills than countless meaningless trials and as for school footy camps they are mostly recreational, or go to the wrong places or go to the right places but dont get a proper game. SLC beat ST Joeys Sydney last year...Im pretty sure Joeys didnt respect them by putting their firsts on the field.

Another thing Id say is that Term 2 coincides with the REDS, well thats supposed to be a good thing.....

Final point is the biggest and most well paid pathway for elite AIC or GPS rugby players is rugby league ( 6 ? AIC graduates in last years RL Grand Final ) Even as a rugby person the numbers cant be ignored.

We have to remember that the reason AIC has introduced AFL and RL is because parents and kids want it. I think they got the term arrangements pretty right.

Just my opinion and I understand that others will disagree.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
W

The fact is that to keep school enrolments going forward AIC and with maybe 1 exception they are the biggest schools around now, offer AFL and Rugby League now on a 2 year trial. AFL wont be going away and alot of the rugby boys are shining in AFL.why ? because its mostly all about raw talent.

Hey TP, I'm pretty sure you're aligned to SLC, are they allowing their First/Second XV squad members to play AFL for the school?

I know that at Marist the rugby boys have been actively discouraged from playing AFL, which has significantly diluted the talent pool on top of the swimmers, cricketers and volleyballers being ineligible, but the MCA boys who are playing AFL are loving it with a number of boarders in the younger grades now looking to play AFL club footy on Sundays.

I can only see the AIC AFL comp thriving in the years to come, but this does not pose any threat to rugby in my view

The rugby league experiment in term 3 will be very interesting. I know some disagree, but given that the RL comp comes after the rugby season I struggle to see how rugby will be affected provided that the rugby program takes precedence as it has with Confro in past years.

In fact, as others have said, providing a school environment where boys can play both rugby and RL for their school might keep a few talented boys within the AIC system and maybe even attract some who like the sound of that that more than an 8 month rugby pre-season in the GPS.

TheRugbyGod

Stan Wickham (3)
They play by grade in the AIC because the players are so much smaller compared to GPS...

Playing in grade is by far the worst idea I've heard since kids can be two years older. ie. having a 13 year old playing with 15 year olds