• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2019

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Always a great day at Shorncliffe. I suppose one could say that all the pressure is on the Padua boys if they want to stay ''alive' in the competition. With their game against Marist next round, they will need to defeat SPC and hope Villa beat MCA to have a shot at a shared title.

If Pats show the same fight they did against Iona, they might go very close to knocking another favourite over. There should be some belief given they had a close one with Lauries too.

I'm assuming some of the Padua team will still be feeling it post the tough game last week v SLC.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Just swap JB with one of your chosen ones and see how they would go and what different level of impact they would make in his stead

And the answer , IMO , would be SFA

Look ..I just like JB and his running game and think he and Livingstone whilst different running types are the best running locks/backrowers that AIC has to offer . My model for the locks / backrowers was 2 x runners , 2 grinders and an all rounder in Markham. I also think Livingstone is a bit more of an all rounder as well as I like his defensive vigour.

Just on Bryant, I like him too and he would be in my AIC XV.

Good runner of the ball, but have yet to see him stand out in top company like Baker did against NSW U15's last year.

Livingstone being 18 gives him a bit of a physical edge this year, particularly against 16yo's, but I wasn't that impressed by him last year when he was playing against guys his own age.

Livingstone will no doubt be leading the Villa charge tomorrow, but I'm sure that MCA will have plans to limit his impact with the back row battle likely to go a long way towards deciding the winner of the game.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
MCA struggled with SLCs tight 5, but were also unlucky not to score another couple of tries. Villa's tight 5 is not as good as SLCs and probably more like SPC who MCA def by 40+.
I have no idea how the game will play out but I cant see based on scores etc to date where Villa will find parity with MCA. So a scoreline half between the SPC and SLC games is a start. Also looking at the for and against. Villa have let points in against all teams and MCA will be stronger than those in attack and much better in defence.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
As much as I have been impressed with Dr Livingstone , Galloper , I just think Marist have greater defensive depth in their pack and the good Dr just won't have enough support in general play ( sort of like Bryant when SLC played Marist )

I do disagree with you though in terms of the backrow determining the game . They will have a slight influence and of course that would be in Marist's favour , however , the set piece IMO is slightly in Villa's favour and I reckon a guy like Lucas Boylen might come into his own a bit more.

Put it this way .....Marist have an overwhelming match up advantage ( as they do against all teams ) in the Centres . If Marist secure 50% ball ( which they will and is a minimum expectation ) Marist Centres will have already done the damage

Villa have a very strong back that I think match up well with Marist and 9 to 10 are a wash with both teams . It is the Centres that will be the trump cards- as they have been all season long

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
As much as I have been impressed with Dr Livingstone , Galloper , I just think Marist have greater defensive depth in their pack and the good Dr just won't have enough support in general play ( sort of like Bryant when SLC played Marist )

I do disagree with you though in terms of the backrow determining the game . They will have a slight influence and of course that would be in Marist's favour , however , the set piece IMO is slightly in Villa's favour and I reckon a guy like Lucas Boylen might come into his own a bit more.

Put it this way ...Marist have an overwhelming match up advantage ( as they do against all teams ) in the Centres . If Marist secure 50% ball ( which they will and is a minimum expectation ) Marist Centres will have already done the damage

Villa have a very strong back that I think match up well with Marist and 9 to 10 are a wash with both teams . It is the Centres that will be the trump cards- as they have been all season long

I definitely agree that MCA’s greatest strength, and advantage, is in the centres, Radford and Moller will be a big challenge for the smaller, younger Villa boys.

But, if Villa can’t get some ascendancy at the breakdowns the likes of Muir and Agnew aren’t going to feature too much.

I think you can also bet that MCA will try to avoid kicking to Muir when in space, they know he’s a weapon and will have planned accordingly.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Iona at home has the chance to upset Laurie. But SLC by 12+
Eddy at home and could be high scoring game but Peter will prevail by 12+
Padua will be too powerful for Patrick at Shorncliffe. Padua by 12+
Villa will be hoping to believe but Ashgrove too big this year and will win by about 12+

Ozwhip

Bob McCowan (2)
Final score - SPC 3 v 24 Padua with the 2nd half belonging to Padua on the back of some dominant scrums and impenetrable defence.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Just read in CM that Eddies got up over Peters by a point. Must have been like a grand final. After some hidings this year, I bet their coaches and boys are absolutely cock-a-hoop.

Padua too good for Pats in the second half. They might give Ashgrove a run next week.

Any scores from Iona v Lauries?

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
even the referee was unable to help villa win. shows just how dominant MCA really are
Villa , as predicted, were not good enough. I did say Ashgrove win,lose or draw wouldn’t finish the game with a clean sheet. That was proven correct. At 19-10 mid way through the 2nd half I would have thought Villa would have taken the penalty shot right in front to get within a converted try. Strange decision to go for 7 points instead of the sure 3 at that stage of the game. Would have heaped pressure on when Ashgrove were down to 14 men.
Completely disagree with the comment re ref helping Villa. MCA were constantly infringing inside their 22 so the ref had little choice but to issue a yellow card. He did warn Ashgrove about the infringements in the 1st half as well.

Magnificent defence by MCA though. They were great all around the paddock and deserved winners
Villa had their chances but did not take enough of them.

Still they scored 2 well constructed tries to hang in there. Which is more than other sides have done.
Well done and congratulations to MCA can’t see anyone else getting close to them.
Hoped they have booked their premiership venue.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Marist play on the adv line so will get pinged at schoolboy level. Thought Villa were better than SLC in comparing today. Marist effort in 2nd half playing with 14 for 20Min was courage. I think playing the Villa No 8 at incentre in the defensive line and attack was a coaching mistake. He has good talent and an impact but could not contribute to the grind and tough stuff. I think if he played more tight it would have added more starch to the Villa forwards as the game progressed.
A three try win was about right today. That is the difference really between MCA and SLC/Villa/Pad.
Best few for MCA were 7, 6, 2 and 15 (BOG).

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Hey Vik, well done to Villa on breaking the duck egg.

Heard MCA got 2 yellow cards and belted in second half penalties to get Villa back in the game.
Who were the standouts for both teams?

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
Hey Vik, well done to Villa on breaking the duck egg.

Heard MCA got 2 yellow cards and belted in second half penalties to get Villa back in the game.
Who were the standouts for both teams?
It just wouldn’t be right to say that the ref “got Villa back in the game”. That is a cheap and nasty view. The reality is that Villa got themselves back in the game by playing well and forcing errors from ashgrove. That led to infringement after infringement as Ashgrove started to scramble. Sustained pressure over a ten minute critical period. Yes Ashgrove were penalised heavily and yes they deserved to be. Villa created that dynamic by getting over the advantage line and turning MCA around.

However, it wasn’t for long enough.

Ashgrove rallied and , as I said, were magnificent in defence with only 14 men.
Best on ground for Ashgrove were the 6 , 7 and the 15 - he is some special kind of fullback that one.

For Villa the captain Livingstone at 8 and the loose head prop Harris were really good in my view.

Clarence McLean

Bob McCowan (2)
Just read in CM that Eddies got up over Peters by a point. Must have been like a grand final. After some hidings this year, I bet their coaches and boys are absolutely cock-a-hoop.

Padua too good for Pats in the second half. They might give Ashgrove a run next week.

Any scores from Iona v Lauries?

SLC 30 - IONA 19