• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks Northern Tour 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm sure there'll be a match thread for Bledisloe 3 so for the purposes of this thread I'm only going to count the four matches following:

3 Nov v Japan in Yokohama
11 Nov v England at Twickenham
18 Nov v Ireland in Dublin
25 Nov v Italy in Rome

England match falls on the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day so it's bound to be special for that reason alone.

Shag has stated his intention to send a core group of players to London immediately after Bled 3, leaving maybe 10 players behind & sending as many as 19 others up for the Japan match.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm sure there'll be a match thread for Bledisloe 3 so for the purposes of this thread I'm only going to count the four matches following:

3 Nov v Japan in Yokohama
11 Nov v England at Twickenham
18 Nov v Ireland in Dublin
25 Nov v Italy in Rome

England match falls on the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day so it's bound to be special for that reason alone.

Shag has stated his intention to send a core group of players to London immediately after Bled 3, leaving maybe 10 players behind & sending as many as 19 others up for the Japan match.

Cue all of NZ criticising him for devaluing the jumper. Will it happen? Of course not. Over the ditch they know a lot more about season fatigue and how to rest players to get optimum performance.

Our biggest problem is having the depth to be able to do it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ not too many grumbles yet but that'll change once the 19 are named, esp if bandwagon players aren't amongst them (e.g. Will Jordan, Harry Plummer, Akira Ioane :))

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually WOB, has got real interest for me in who the extra players are that go for japan match, obviously if it is 19 a number won't even make squad for match as assuming he will use the 13 or so that are already there. Will be good way to look at fringe players in a camp environment etc.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ you'd imagine the preferred 23 to play Ringinland will be the ones to fly out early leaving nine of the 'A' squad plus 14 FIFO's to play Japan meaning about five will only get game time if there's injuries. So, yeah, good opportunity to have a look at guys who ordinarily wouldn't get a sniff.

But let's be honest, if Akira can't make a squad of 51 Dismal, zer0 & Kiwi M are gunna go postal.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Refs have been appointed:

Japan = Matthew Carley (England)
England = Garces
Ireland = Barnes
Italy = Andrew Brace (Ireland)

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...ter-two-familiar-and-infamous-whistle-blowers

Possibly the most positive thing about Barnes retiring after RWC is that we'll no longer have to read re-hashes of Cardiff '07 every July, September/ October & November :)

EDIT: Poite gets Bled 3 so we're without our guardian angels (according to some on here) Jaco & Nigel.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I believe this will be the core 32 man squad and not including the additional players for the Japan game

The #AllBlacks squad for the Vista 2018 Northern Tour will be named on Monday.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Refs have been appointed:

Japan = Matthew Carley (England)
England = Garces
Ireland = Barnes
Italy = Andrew Brace (Ireland)

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...ter-two-familiar-and-infamous-whistle-blowers

Possibly the most positive thing about Barnes retiring after RWC is that we'll no longer have to read re-hashes of Cardiff '07 every July, September/ October & November :)

EDIT: Poite gets Bled 3 so we're without our guardian angels (according to some on here) Jaco & Nigel.

That game was 11 years ago and Stuff still can't let it go and still can't put the writer's byline on it. I'd be ashamed if I had written it too!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^ easy way to pad your word-count tho, innit :).

It's honestly been a very long time since I've head anyone outside of the media even mention "that" pass in particular or "that" match in general: 99.9% of the population fairly quickly came to realise that whatever Barnes (& his assistants) got wrong wasn't the reason we lost, even allowing for Sir Ted's exhaustive play-by-play. Shit even Shag came very close to admitting it after the Bokke beat us in Wellywood.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The 32-man squad is as follows (with age, province and Test caps in bracket. New All Blacks in bold):

Forwards:
Hookers
Dane Coles (31, Wellington, 56)
Nathan Harris (26, Bay of Plenty, 18)
Codie Taylor (27, Canterbury, 38)
Props
Owen Franks (30, Canterbury, 103)
Nepo Laulala (27, Counties Manukau, 13)
Joe Moody (30, Canterbury, 36)
Karl Tu’inukuafe (25, North Harbour, 9)
Ofa Tuungafasi (26, Auckland, 22)
Locks
Scott Barrett (23, Taranaki, 14)
Brodie Retallick (27, Hawke’s Bay, 71)
Patrick Tuipulotu (25, Auckland, 19)
Samuel Whitelock (30, Canterbury, 105)
Loose Forwards
Vaea Fifita (26, Wellington, 7)
Dalton Papalii (21, Auckland, uncapped)
Kieran Read, captain (32, Counties Manukau, 114)
Ardie Savea (25, Wellington, 31)
Liam Squire (27, Tasman, 20)
Matt Todd (30, Canterbury, 14)
Backs:
Halfbacks
TJ Perenara (26, Wellington, 51)
Aaron Smith (28, Manawatu, 79)
Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi (23, Taranaki, 1)
First five–eighths
Beauden Barrett (27, Taranaki, 69)
Damian McKenzie (23, Waikato, 19)
Richie Mo’unga (24, Canterbury, 4)
Midfielders
Ryan Crotty (30, Canterbury, 41)
Jack Goodhue (23, Northland, 5)
Anton Lienert-Brown (23, Waikato, 30)
Sonny Bill Williams (33, Counties Manukau, 49)
Outside backs
Jordie Barrett (21, Taranaki, 7)
Rieko Ioane (21, Auckland, 20)
Waisake Naholo (27, Taranaki, 24)
Ben Smith (32, Otago, 73)
Interesting to see Todd there, and as predicted Papalii

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And extras going over for Japan test, no room for Akira Ioane, still insisting on players that work for whole game it seems!
Hookers
Asafo Aumua (20, Wellington, uncapped, two non-Tests)
Liam Coltman (28, Otago, 3)
Props
Tyrel Lomax (22, Tasman, uncapped)
Reuben O’Neill (23, Taranaki, uncapped)
Tim Perry (29, Tasman, 5)
Angus Ta’avao (28, Taranaki, 1)
Locks
Luke Romano (32, Canterbury, 31)
Loose Forwards
Jackson Hemopo (24, Manawatu, 2)
Gareth Evans (27, Hawke’s Bay, uncapped)
Dillon Hunt (23, North Harbour, uncapped, one non-Test)
Luke Whitelock (27, Canterbury, 6)
Backs:
Halfbacks
Mitchell Drummond (24, Canterbury, uncapped, one non-Test)
Bryn Hall (26, North Harbour, uncapped)
First five–eighths
Brett Cameron (21, Canterbury, uncapped)
Midfielders
Ngani Laumape (25, Manawatu, 8)
Matt Proctor (25, Wellington, uncapped)
Outside backs
George Bridge (23, Canterbury, uncapped)
David Havili (23, Tasman, 3)
Nehe Milner-Skudder (27, Manawatu, 12)
Looks like Milner-Skudder has dropped in pecking order, Laumape missing out on main squad too, can't say I disagree with too much, haven't noticed O'Neil from the Naki, but pleasesd to see Lomax there,the boy starting to look good. Be interesting to see who gets on bench etc for Japan test.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
And extras going over for Japan test, no room for Akira Ioane, still insisting on players that work for whole game it seems!

What like Fifita who came out in the press and whinged about being dropped and admitted he didn't like playing lock because he didn't like doing the tight work?

No Akira = what a fucking joke.

Brett Cameron - has been outplayed by Mitch Hunt and Harry Plummer but leapfrogs them into the ABs. That's one of the weirdest AB selections I can remember.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good to see Todd included. His situation is completely different to guys in Europe, or in Japan full-time, so I could never see why he would be barred from selection.

On the selections for the Japanese match, Havili is a bit of a waste. Had one good season and has since regressed to his distinctly average mean. Will Jordan would've been worth a punt in his place for mine. Similarly his leg injuries have rendered Milner-Skudder too pedestrian and another wasted spot. I don't know who Brett Cameron is.

Also I'm now resigned to my theory that Akira will not be selected until he moves to the Crusaders after Read departs.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What like Fifita who came out in the press and whinged about being dropped and admitted he didn't like playing lock because he didn't like doing the tight work?

No Akira = what a fucking joke.

Brett Cameron - has been outplayed by Mitch Hunt and Harry Plummer but leapfrogs them into the ABs. That's one of the weirdest AB selections I can remember.

Actually Fifita came out in press and said he was told he missed All Blacks because Shag and co see him as a 6, so he needed time there to show his stuff. I must of missed where he said he didn't like doing tight stuff, you got a link? I just not a huge fan of Akira, and only because he keeps disappearing in games, and looking real disinterested. Still hope he grows out of it, think he could be pretty good if he pulled finger worked hard and avoided the stupid push and shove he so keen on. I would of had Hunt ahead of Cameron, but must admit to being quite impressed with Cameron this Mitre 10 season.
Like zer0 quite pleased to see Todd there. Suspect Havili there more because he a bit experienced at test level, and think all outsides in main squad will go over to England in first wave so may feel they need a bit of cover at 15. Though I surprised zer0 doesn't know who Cameron is, may need to watch a bit of rugby mate he been thereabouts last couple of years!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
1539567404988.jpg
1539567404988.jpg

giphy.gif

HAVE STARTED HITCHHIKING TO CHRISTCHURCH. SOMEOEN WILL PAY FOR THIS AND THAT SOMEONES NAME IS STEVEN HANSEN

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Actually Fifita came out in press and said he was told he missed All Blacks because Shag and co see him as a 6, so he needed time there to show his stuff. I must of missed where he said he didn't like doing tight stuff, you got a link?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-truth-Steve-Hansen-calls-to-set-him-straight

"He (Hansen) said he signed Hemopo to play six, not lock, I kind of feel like he's not telling the truth"

"I like six because I can use my athleticism to do what I can do on the outside, rather than just stay tight and do the hard work like running into a brick wall and getting your body tired"

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Further to the above, Plumtree also notes the issue of Fifita's work ethic.

"[Fifita] will get his opportunity to play at six. However, he'll have to meet the requirements of what I think a good six looks like," Plumtree said.

"Our best sixes in the country have always been guys with relentless work ethics and that's going to be a department that Vaea's going to have to learn".

"We know he's capable of running the ball, particularly on the edges of the field, and we've seen that. But, for me, a six is a ball winner and he's got to be a big defender and he's also got to be a momentum-carrier and provide momentum for the team through his ability to carry the ball and do it on a regular basis".

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...will-play-vaea-fifita-at-6-if-hes-good-enough

So pretty much the same boat as Akira. Though Akira is a #8 whereas Fifita is a blindside. If anything, the selections should be the other way round as excelling in offence, but slacking in defence, is much more problematic for a blindside (defensive position) than a #8 (offensive position).

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Good to see Akira is not entirely on the outer.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/107850422/story

Fox was reluctant to publicly pinpoint the aspects of Ioane's game that should improve when the squad was named at the Prebbleton club rooms near Christchurch on Monday, but indicated he was making satisfactory gains.

"He's getting better at the areas he's been asked to improve at, and I'm not going to drill down into those," Fox said. "If he comes with us, he's not necessarily going to get a lot of game time.

"He knows what he needs to do and we think he's better off with the New Zealand Maori team and playing, being a number one for them, playing footy, and working on the areas that he needs to work on."

"We're still very much interested in what he can offer, and Super Rugby next year is going to be quite defining," Fox added. "He's going to have a new forwards coach and hopefully we're going to see that little upward curb continue, we're seeing it now in the areas that he has to continue on. Hopefully we see it in Super Rugby next year."

Status
Not open for further replies.