• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks v Wallabies, Dunedin, 19th October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Oh, how I wish that were true. This AB team has a look of "just getting shit done" every time. Even when they look under the pump, they go up a gear.
If the Wallabies attack at the same level as this last match, but defend a bit better, it could be a good contest. Hope so.

I made the same post on Silverfern and they banned me for troublemaking.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The message coming across in this thread is that the NZ's are not too fussed about watching the wallabies though - so if they are not too fussed about it then why should it matter that the NZ public "have only one chance every year"?

But we LOVE watching the All Blacks no matter who they're playing usually....

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The message coming across in this thread is that the NZ's are not too fussed about watching the wallabies though - so if they are not too fussed about it then why should it matter that the NZ public "have only one chance every year"?
No probably the message coming across is perhaps we find playing same team 3 times EVERY year a tad over the top. It's not an anti Wallaby thing at all!!! Mind you as Bullrush said tragics like me will watch ABs play anyone , even if not that excited about it.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
who would they play outside the test window?

I think the opposition will get a team together if they get to play the All Blacks.

Eg. This year they play Japan, France, England and Ireland. They miss Wales, Scotland and Italy.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The AB's will be treating this game like opposed training.

I hope not. Have you seen the quality of the guys NZ have to play in their training runs? They would be number 2 in the world if they could field a test team.

As for playing each other 3 times, NZ played France 3 times earlier in the year and I didn't hear many complain. Guess this one feels a bit like a revenue grab as it is on when teams should be having some time to prepare for the Spring tours.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

I think the opposition will get a team together if they get to play the All Blacks.

Eg. This year they play Japan, France, England and Ireland. They miss Wales, Scotland and Italy.
No they wouldn't the clubs won't release players outside the test window.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As for playing each other 3 times, NZ played France 3 times earlier in the year and I didn't hear many complain. Guess this one feels a bit like a revenue grab as it is on when teams should be having some time to prepare for the Spring tours.
Yep Jets the problem isn't playing 3 tests against a team, it's doing ot every bloody year that is the killer.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I can see why you like it Seb, but for myself watching the ABs play the Wallabies 3 times a year is too much. It may help the development of the Wallabies game, but not sure it will help the ABs much at all!! I am pretty sure in next year or two NZRU will find it hard to fill stadiums in NZ for Bledisloe unless there is quite an improvement. Talking to rugby mates at home you can feel the whole 'shit not another Wallaby test', even the Stadium in Dunedin hadn't sold out last weekend, and that only holds about 28-30000 tops, and Dunedin don't get that many tests!! I think it a shame, I love test rugby, have really ebjoyed generally the Wallaby/AB tests, but I struggling to get excited about it.

Yeah, I can understand what you're saying. But would it be different if the Wallabies were playing as well as they were earlier this century? I think it would for most NZders!

The real issue is that the Wallabies have not won these past several years. During the late 90's early 0's - the rivalry b/w AUS and NZ was bigger (or at least equal to) the rivalry between NZ and SA. If the Wallabies were playing like that today, 3 games for the Bledisloe would be what everyone would want. No drawn series. Defender has to win twice rather than just once. Third test as potential decider. And so on. It would be huge! So it makes sense they locked in 3 test each year. Unfortunately, they couldn't foresee the long losing streak for the Wallabies.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I can't see the Wallabies winning tbh. But very happy to be proven wrong!

But the main thing for me is that we play closer to our potential and as well as we can play. I think we need to focus on doing that every game, and building/improving on that every game. Once we do that, the results will take care of themselves.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I feel the wallabies have three areas too look at for this game and everything else will fall into place:

1) The forwards must produce another solid or even better display relative to the All Blacks. They provided a great platform for the backs on the weekend and that was realistically the reason behind Genia and Cooper's ability to attack the line at pace.

2) Keep the support play up! Just watched the highlights and they were always supporting the ball carrier. Even when Tomane made the break to score the try someone was sprinting after him. It was bloody fantastic and I hope we see it again.

3) Still have to improve the defence. ABs will cut us to shreds if it isnt tightened up. What are Nick Scriveners defensive credentials? Has he coached any provincial sides or even club sides in defence?? Seems to be a lack of proper structure and understanding rather than skill..

Key point. I would also add the ball carrier look for support (backs AND fwds), instead of always looking to go to ground and re-set play. Don't need to be ridiculous, but look to keep the ball alive if it's sensible and a measured risk.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Love a dead rubber.
After the "Rosario Resurrection", the "turning point", the "line in the sand" - The AB's will be shutting themselves.
Wallabies by 12. You know it makes sense.

Now, now.

9060343.jpg

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Ben Smith will start at center.

And this from Hansen on the Aussies.:)

"They've been a good side but they've certainly struggled with their confidence,'' Hansen said of the Wallabies.
"This win will have given them an injection and, as we all know, you don't have to give an Aussie too much of an injection for his confidence to start coming out of his mouth.''

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Highly ironic, or a complete lack of self-awareness? It's easy to be smug and condescending when your team wins just about every time - it is the privilege of that record, I guess. I would love to see how many smart one-liners, niggling other teams and coaches, Shag would come up with if he was navigating a tougher course.
He obviously has a good team, and I respect his coaching ability, but I struggle to warm at all to him. Graham Henry had a drier, wry sense of humour.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Ben Smith will start at center.

And this from Hansen on the Aussies.:)

"They've been a good side but they've certainly struggled with their confidence,'' Hansen said of the Wallabies.
"This win will have given them an injection and, as we all know, you don't have to give an Aussie too much of an injection for his confidence to start coming out of his mouth.''

Just read this in the Herald.......Hansen is gold!

Status
Not open for further replies.