• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Star Australian Schoolboys team: 2000-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
1 They have to have played for the Australian Schoolboys.

2 They have to have been schoolboy stand-outs not just players that became good professionals.
(i.e Kurtley Beale may not be a great pro 10 but he was a really good schools 10 rather than someone like Halangahu)

3 They have to play in the postion they played at school. i.e. Pocock played 12 for ACGS

I will start off although I have limited knowledge of the tight five forwards so i shall probably fill them with current Wallabies who were schoolboy internationals.

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Pekahou Cowan
4. Sam Wykes
5. Dean Mumm
6. Rocky Elsom
7. Lei Tomiki
8.Richard Brown

9. Ben Lucas
10. Matt To'omua. Kicker
11. Joseph Tomane
12. James O'Connor
13. Rob Horne
14. Luke Morahan
15. Drew Mitchell (C) lol apparently he was captain of a schoolboys team

Anyone have an better ideas

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ben Lucas played 10 for his school.

Pocock played 7 for Australian Schoolboys.

I thought TPN played backrow at school level.

R

rugbywhisperer

O'Connor was a benchie for Aus schools if I remember rightly

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
meh, for the sake of argument

Rod Davies
Andrew Barrett
Morgan Turinui
Lloyd Johansson
Joseph Tomane
Kurtley Beale
Josh Holmes
Pauliasi Taumoepeau
David Pocock
Tatafu Polata-Nau
Dean Mumm
Hugh McMeniman
Rodney Blake
Damien Fitzpatrick
Pek Cowan

R

rugbywhisperer

Noddy said:
yeah correct. At least in the test I saw.

James Slipper will tell a tale where he had to make desperate tryline tackle to save a try by the kiwi's which nearly resulted from an O'Connor blunder from his own 22 with only seconds remaining.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Well Pocock played 12 for churchies so i left him out as i said i wasn't too sure about the front row so i just put tpn i suppose i could sub him out for damien fitzpatrick.

JOC (James O'Connor) was on the bench behind ben (taupai?) ,spelling, who is on the bench for the reds at the moment, but i think the reason they didnt start him was because he wasn't as solid as ben so they left him on the bench but he was the best attacking player in the GPS in 07.

Watch for his awesome flick pass (campese esque) in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a78_o7Z9QxQ

Also do you guys know if JOC (James O'Connor) would have been signed up by the reds if he didnt go to the force

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
if I recall correctly, Pocock played one year at 7 for Churchie, filled in for another year at 12, but the Aussie selectors still picked him at 7.

Lucas never played 9 for his school. So you need consistenc in selection.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
fair enough noddy, I checked and in his last year i he played 12 but for some reason didn't play in the match v the all blacks u18 in 2005 so I wasn't sure if he was injured that year and wasn't good enough the previous year. Thats why i left him out because i wasn't watching in 05 so i only have the internet to go by.

any suggestions for 9. Genia and Burgess weren't great school players. Josh Valntine played for the schoolboys i think so maybe him

T

TOCC

Noddy said:
Ben Lucas played 10 for his school.

Pocock played 7 for Australian Schoolboys.

I thought TPN played backrow at school level.

yeah think your right, a guy i know tells me stories about playing against him, he used to just pick it the ball up at the back of the scrum and dominate, near impossible to tackle

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
James Slipper will tell a tale where he had to make desperate tryline tackle to save a try by the kiwi's which nearly resulted from an O'Connor blunder from his own 22 with only seconds remaining.
Glad to hear that JOC (James O'Connor)'s weakness against the Kiwi's is a long held one.

P

playa

brett stapleton was one of the biggest schoolboy wingers i ever saw
and deffinately the quickest
although he had virtually no ball skills he didnt need them at schoolboy level
just used to run through or over whole backlines

R

rugbywhisperer

playa said:
brett stapleton was one of the biggest schoolboy wingers i ever saw and deffinately the quickest although he had virtually no ball skills he didnt need them at schoolboy level just used to run through or over whole backlines

No rugby brains either.
Have a look if you can at the 2 TSS wingers this year.

P

playa

rugbywhisperer said:
playa said:
brett stapleton was one of the biggest schoolboy wingers i ever saw and deffinately the quickest although he had virtually no ball skills he didnt need them at schoolboy level just used to run through or over whole backlines

No rugby brains either.
Have a look if you can at the 2 TSS wingers this year.

yes lindsay and luasuii are great plaers
lindsay is quick but not as quick as brett was. brett ran 10.2 for 100m in a pre-gps atchletics carnival
in saying that lindsay can kick which makes him may more skillfull than brett ever will be hahaha

Cyril Towers (30)
Quade Cooper was a pretty useful 12/15 in 2005 and 2006
Beau Robinson was a pretty useful 7 in 2004
Dan Palmer 2006 is still the best scrummaging schoolboy prop I have seen
Ben McCalman was pretty useful at 6 or 8 in 2005 and 2006

T

tranquility

Quade never played 15 at Churchie, but did play 12 in year 12 becasue Churchie had a decent 10 who couldn't play anywhere else. He played 15 for the Schoolboys because at that stage Portley was supposed to be the next Cyril Towers.

David Pocock played a little bit of 7 in year 11 for the first XV because he was injured all season and they had a good backrow. He trained all preseason in year 12 to play 7 however, Churchie had a very good backup number 7 in Jason Hardy but had no obviously solution to number 12. David had magnificent hands and the rest is history. I believe Jason is sniffing around for a contract in Japan at the moment after playing QLD schoolboys and for the Stingrays premiere grade side.

R

rugbywhisperer

playa said:
rugbywhisperer said:
playa said:

No rugby brains either.Have a look if you can at the 2 TSS wingers this year.

lindsay is quick but not as quick as brett was. brett ran 10.2 for 100m in a pre-gps atchletics carnival
in saying that lindsay can kick which makes him may more skillfull than brett ever will be hahaha

Bretts time was a 10.6 not 10.2, hand held not electronic which in reality would probably make it about 10.84-10.89

T

tranquility

Thats not true at all.

I have competed against Brett many times in athletics and he has run some incredible times. He has also run them at the GPS championships where it is electric timing, I won't quote a time until I can dig one up but he has run on record a lot quicker than 10.8 electric.

On inspection the only GPS record he holds is the U16 200m which he ran in - 21.85s 2003 B.T. Stapleton - TGS - TGS.

However the only reason that is the case is because he ran in the open division from the time he was 15. He won the open 100m three years in a row - however it meant that he didn't get the 15 and 16 year old records because he was competing in the opens. Using his wikipedia as a reference in his senior year he pulled his hamstring 5 metres from the line, however he still won the race but the injury cost him the record. He still ran 10.69 electric with the injury. If he has run in his own age group and with better luck it is realistic that he could have owned both the U15 and open GPS 100m records, but alas he owns none. It is debatable if he would have broken the U16 record because it was a legendary run that has not been broken for 25 years.

The name of the person who holds the records the he couldn't break was a man by the name of Lynton Johnson who is legendary in Australian athletics. He was an aboriginal man from Ipswich Grammar in the mid to late 80s who ran times that had the entire Athletics body in this country at his feet and he was destined for stardom. However, one night on the drink he put his arm though a glass window and severed many of the nerves in his arm. He went back to running after the injury but he could never reach the same dizzying heights again.

If anyone is interested Lynton ran this time as a 16 year old; 10.59s 1986 L. Johnson - IGS - IGS

For those interested the entire set of records can be found at this page.

http://www.gpsqld.org.au/

The times of 10.2 that have been reported are times that he has run at other competitions and were probably hand timed, however I have seen him win races after giving the competition a 10 meter start and would not doubt any time that has been quoted.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Does Daniel Heenan qualify for this or was he more 1999? He was a freaking giant at schoolboy level. Haven't seen anybody with his size come through the ranks of my old school since.

P

playa

rugbywhisperer said:
playa said:
rugbywhisperer said:
playa said:

No rugby brains either.Have a look if you can at the 2 TSS wingers this year.

Bretts time was a 10.6 not 10.2, hand held not electronic which in reality would probably make it about 10.84-10.89
brett ran a 10.69 in the GPS champs but pulled his hamstring like 5m short
he ran 10.2 in a lead up meet and both were electronic
and i was there for both of them

Status
Not open for further replies.