• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

An Independent Commission for Australian Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
In The Australian today, Patrick Smith outlines that the Federal Government is proposing new regulations to fund sports in the country. Those sporting bodies that do not comply will jeopardise their funding. Currently Rugby receives $1.22m/year, Australian Football $1.17m, Rugby League $812k, Soccer $3.58m.

Smith says the Government wants to ensure all sports are run by best practise and the favoured model is an independent commission. Rugby is currently governed by a board of 8 and 14 delegates from the states and territories.

JON has been in favour of an Independent Commission (IC) to run rugby. Will the threat of a loss of government funding bring an IC to Australian rugby? Is this a good thing?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It could be the greatest fucking thing since sliced bread for Australian rugby if well designed and executed.

The current constitution, Board and Board representation rights by States in the 2012 ARU is all of anachronistic, biasing of good governance principles of 2012 vs 1922, preserving of relics of the amateur era in terms of elitism and low standards, encouraging of board members there for the rugby networking and sucking up to each other and the CEO and Chairs so's to hold their seats, States' parochialisms interfering with good strategies for the code as a whole, generally low transparency to all stakeholders, States appointing ARU Board members not for the common good and not of the highest competence, and 10 other problems and flaws I could name.

And look at the standards and market position of rugby today in Australia - the brights spots, genuine growth achievements and proud moments are frighteningly few and far between.

Core reform of the ARU and its conversion to an IC would an excellent instrument of change (along with numerous required others that I have taken up GBs of this site's disk space recommending).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In The Australian today, Patrick Smith outlines that the Federal Government is proposing new regulations to fund sports in the country. Those sporting bodies that do not comply will jeopardise their funding. Currently Rugby receives $1.22m/year, Australian Football $1.17m, Rugby League $812k, Soccer $3.58m.

Smith says the Government wants to ensure all sports are run by best practise and the favoured model is an independent commission. Rugby is currently governed by a board of 8 and 14 delegates from the states and territories.

JON has been in favour of an Independent Commission (IC) to run rugby. Will the threat of a loss of government funding bring an IC to Australian rugby? Is this a good thing?
If JON wants one then I say we dont need one

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Why on Earth are sporting codes with large scale professional leagues and corporate sponsorship receiving government money to begin with? It's not a lot of money by the looks of it, but really, why are the ARU getting any at all?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It could be the greatest fucking thing since sliced bread for Australian rugby if well designed and executed.
You started to get me excited, RH, until I read your two qualifications. "Well designed"? It's a novel concept in Australian rugby but nothing else has worked so why not give it a go? "Executed"? I've always been against capital punishment but these are desperate times. The only point I'd make is that hanging's too good for the bastards that got us in this mess.

I'm interested to know how with an independent commission you would avoid having "relics of the amateur era in terms of elitism and low standards, encouraging of board members there for the rugby networking and sucking up to each other and the CEO and Chairs so's to hold their seats ..."

And how would you propose that the independent commissioners be selected? I doubt very much you'd be prepared to leave it to JO'N's judgment.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have a lot of sympathy for the "anything but what we have" argument but i wonder about the desirability of installing another tier of administration between the heart of the game and the pros or disconnecting the heart from the pros.
Isn't the commission in league the solution to the NRL being run by the former combatants, in the ARL and News? if so we, thankfully, never had to live with that unholy type of alliance.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Why on Earth are sporting codes with large scale professional leagues and corporate sponsorship receiving government money to begin with? It's not a lot of money by the looks of it, but really, why are the ARU getting any at all?
And why is soccer getting so much more than the others? Wasn't that sum in the vicinity of the loss the arc was forecast to make?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I think the ARU has shown it's independence from petty issues for quite some time. The most independent man I. australian sport, sir David of Nucifora has infect shown the ability to be. Dependent whilst reviewing his own position,if weare going to have a new independent commission then you must start with Nuci, further more, moving Ewen up a position to IC chairman and bringing Richard graham onto the commission in a learning role whilst bringing back big Jim Williams as coach of QLD would see three positions filled completely independently and were on our way.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
And why is soccer getting so much more than the others? Wasn't that sum in the vicinity of the loss the arc was forecast to make?
The Paralympics received the most $12m if I recall, which in my view is right. Followed by swimming $9m. Cricket, hockey, tennis all received more than rugby.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
From the SMH, mostly about cricket Australia but it says:

The guidelines for all sports envisage that boards will have between five and nine independent directors from a diverse range of expertise.

Senator Lundy said sporting organisations have positively received the government's advice on best practice.

"It's a general call for sports to have a good hard look at themselves and see how they measure up against the recent analysis of what constitutes best practice," she said.

She said the Australian Rugby Union told her on Thursday it was planning to reform its governance, which is an unwieldy nine-member board with an additional 14 voting state delegates.
It'll be interesting to see how that pans out... I'm not so confident it's be a major step forward.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...rts-to-improve-governance-20120419-1xa0i.html

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
because Football is the team sport with the highest participation numbers, more than the other big 3 of rugby, afl and league combined. It is thus in the governments interest that it continues to be well funded so that this large amount of people continue to play their sport of choice to remain healthy and happy

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From the SMH, mostly about cricket Australia but it says:

It'll be interesting to see how that pans out... I'm not so confident it's be a major step forward.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...rts-to-improve-governance-20120419-1xa0i.html
so that would be a lecture on "best practice" in administration from the administration that brought you such unforgettable blockbusters as "building the education revolution" and "the pink batts affair" and the soon to be released "the broadband network that ate the budget"

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My take

rant begins/

Another level of "required" government bureaucracy to get in the way and suck up the money with more regulation in the pretence of "best practice".

"If" the ARU structure is a problem, then fix the ARU.

Don't create another admin level to take up more money and do nothing more than sit around in board rooms arguing over words going into mission statements "after lengthy public consultations" and requiring detailed reports to confirm any money spent was spent in line with the regulations.

This is typical big government rubbish to "justify" funding, make the overhead so large that the funding is sucked up by bureaucrats just to cover the funder's arse. (as per the private employment services for the long term unemployed)

rant finishes/

kronic

John Solomon (38)
because Football is the team sport with the highest participation numbers, more than the other big 3 of rugby, afl and league combined. It is thus in the governments interest that it continues to be well funded so that this large amount of people continue to play their sport of choice to remain healthy and happy
Especially at a junior level, because most parents don't want their children playing a full contact sport, even though the junior versions of these sports have reduced contact rules/laws.

However, this changes in their teens from what I understand. Many taking up Aussie Rules, League & obviously Rugby.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Victorian Rugby Union chairman Tim North said Australian rugby did not need to move towards an AFL-style commission. But North said rugby needed to reform its archaic voting system, which was weighted heavily in favour of the two major unions, NSW and Queensland.
The NSWRU (five) and the QRU (three) had eight of the 14 votes at the ARU's annual general meeting.
North said the ARU should adopt a "one-state, one-vote" system, which was recommended by the ASC.
But any constitutional change requires a 75 per cent majority, which can be defeated by NSW and Queensland voting as a bloc.
"Each state should get an equal vote," North said. "In the preamble to the ARU constitution (written in 1949) it says that there will be an undertaking that there will be an equal vote as soon as possible. It should be implemented as soon as possible, even in 2012.
"We look forward to working with the other member unions to alter the constitution to put in place the guidelines recommended by the ASC.
"We have to grow the sport on a national basis."
But NSWRU executive director Bruce Worboys argued for the retention of the present system.
Worboys said NSW's voting power reflected the fact the state had 100,000 of the 243,000 registered players in Australia.
"From NSW's point of view, we wouldn't like to see that change because of the numbers we represent in the rugby community," he said. "We believe it is a fair arrangement at the moment."

If the NSWRU CEO want to use player numbers as a rule in relation to numbers of votes, is there a proviso for a vote per a particular number of registered players?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Minor shareholder wants to change voting to suit them shock, major shareholder wants to change voting to suit them shock

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
It might actually be a good thing to dilute the power of QLD and NSW, who have spent most of the time since 1949 trying to punt one another into the fence.

Seems to me that 4 votes to NSW and QLD and 2 votes each to ACT, WA and Vic would strike a balance between player numbers and the "one state one vote" arguement. I don't know the player registration numbers per state so I could be talking out my arse, but if IRR NSW and QLD have already given some ground on their number of votes.

Don't create another admin level to take up more money and do nothing more than sit around in board rooms arguing over words going into mission statements "after lengthy public consultations" and requiring detailed reports to confirm any money spent was spent in line with the regulations.

This I agree with.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
There's some pearlers of irony in here (highlights mine), and I'll be excited to see how the total non-release of the ARU's RWC 2011 review squares with the government's declared intentions as below (highlighted) as to what an 'independent commission' should be delivering to its stakeholders and sporting communities. Some ARU board members will need Google Translate for some of this startlingly contemporary material. Notable too is the NSWRU's effective rejection of ARU core reform, no doubt given the sterling record of decade-long achievement upon which its unblemished reputation rests.

My personal favourite is the likelihood of the ARU requesting the federal government to directly fund a study into the reforming of the ARU and Australian rugby. I mean, aren't they meant to sort of start this themselves...or perhaps they are not sure how to begin?

Bruce, please, press your Go button.

Rugby revolution starts at head office
BY: BRET HARRIS From: The Australian April 20, 2012

THE ARU will seize on the federal government's push for better governance in sport to start a revolution in the way the game is administered in this country.

New governance principles for sporting organisations released yesterday by Sports Minister Kate Lundy - and detailed exclusively in The Australian - could spell the end of rugby's outdated way of running the sport.

The guidelines, prepared by the Australian Sports Commission, emphasise independent governance and best-practice business protocols.

Sources within the ARU indicated yesterday there was strong support for a change to the old-fashioned federated body, which is out of step with modern sporting governance such as the AFL commission.

While the ARU is run by a board, the directors are elected by delegates from the states - and there is a strong bias towards NSW and Queensland.

In an exclusive interview with The Australian last December, ARU chairman Peter McGrath said it was time for rugby to consider an independent commission.

The ARU may ask the government to undertake or fund a review into rugby's governance.

The issue will be raised at the ARU's annual general meeting in Sydney next Friday.

"The ARU is currently reviewing the government's announcement regarding best-practice corporate governance and what it means for Australian rugby," an ARU spokesman said.

"We intend to address the issue at our AGM next Friday. Until we have assessed today's announcement and then discussed the issue at the upcoming board meeting, it would be inappropriate to speculate on any course of action that may be taken."

Victorian Rugby Union chairman Tim North said Australian rugby did not need to move towards an AFL-style commission. But North said rugby needed to reform its archaic voting system, which was weighted heavily in favour of the two major unions, NSW and Queensland.

The NSWRU (five) and the QRU (three) had eight of the 14 votes at the ARU's annual general meeting.

North said the ARU should adopt a "one-state, one-vote" system, which was recommended by the ASC.

But any constitutional change requires a 75 per cent majority, which can be defeated by NSW and Queensland voting as a bloc.

"Each state should get an equal vote," North said. "In the preamble to the ARU constitution (written in 1949) it says that there will be an undertaking that there will be an equal vote as soon as possible. It should be implemented as soon as possible, even in 2012.

"We look forward to working with the other member unions to alter the constitution to put in place the guidelines recommended by the ASC.

"We have to grow the sport on a national basis."

But NSWRU executive director Bruce Worboys argued for the retention of the present system.

Worboys said NSW's voting power reflected the fact the state had 100,000 of the 243,000 registered players in Australia.

"From NSW's point of view, we wouldn't like to see that change because of the numbers we represent in the rugby community," he said. "We believe it is a fair arrangement at the moment."

Senator Lundy said the government was committed to encouraging national sporting organisations to continue improving their transparency and practice good governance.

"Just as our sporting heroes are role models in the sporting arena, our sporting organisations need to set a good example in their corporate practices," she said.

"They need to be transparent, accountable and responsible, and they also need to demonstrate leadership, responsiveness and integrity in their decision-making.

"A modern governance structure is the basis for making the critical connection between elite professional sport and community sport where millions of Australians live their own sporting dreams.

"The government is laying out the building blocks of best practice in sporting governance and we are confident this will help to improve the operation of our national sporting organisations."

Status
Not open for further replies.