• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

An open letter to all attending Tahs v Canes ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd like to start by saying that after my son's soccer in the morning, then playing and watching rugby in the afternoon with my club, the mighty and beloved Renegades, I went to the SCG with my brother to see the Sydney Swans take on the Brisbane Lions.

As someone whose parents were raised in Australian Rules Football in South Australia, I always had an appreciation for the game; as a kid growing up in a league-dominated town (my parents moved to NSW when I was very young), my Dad always taught me that rugby league was a slow, limited-skill game played by thugs. He's a pretty smart bloke.

At school our moderately successful league side played the occasional game of union. The teacher who explained the rules to them was seen as a snob and a dandy, a fop if you will, who was completely up himself. Inevitably, our school would lose these union games and I would go on, under peer pressure, to believe it was much like league but not as good a game. I would carry on believing Australian Rules Football was the superior brand of football, because its a well-known fact that soccer is for poofs mate ;)

As years went by the concept of rugby union reached out to me further. It came to a head at University where I got to see it live for the first time, played by people who knew what they were doing. I have remained a fanatic ever since.

Where am I going with this ramble? Well this fanaticism obviously led me to play the game, and continue to observe and grow my knowledge of it despite what some of you may think :) When I moved to Sydney and found other people at work who were into the sport I attended Waratahs matches and loved the flair on the field, the roar of the crowd, and the joy of the win. I never had anything like this in my little hick town and besides childhood memories of one day cricket at the MCG and a game of SANFL at Football Park in Adelaide (when the Crows and Power weren't even on the radar), this amazed me.

I noticed over time that the level of noise would depend directly on who was in attendance. The crowd figures would rise and fall dramatically depending on the opponent. I knew there were a lot of Kiwis living in Sydney, but surely at least 20,000 Waratahs fans could drag themselves along each week? Apparently not.

This was fully realised at Bledisloe 2000 where Stadium Australia was packed to capacity and nearly half the crowd were Kiwis. When I went back to a Waratahs game the next year, I couldn't help but feel it wasn't quite the same when only 15,000 turn out to see the Tahs lay waste to a visiting South African franchise. But tickets were decently priced, it was a night out with my wife and friends, and as a result I could put up with the long queues for food and facilities, even if the Tahs didn't win as much as I'd like. They still played like they wanted to win.

So back to the point: I attended the SCG last night, and with a crowd of a mere 30,957 on a large, round field, they made more noise in three hours than I hear out of Waratahs supporters in a whole season. Say what you think about the game itself, but the fact is the AFL is well-administered, knows its fans, and caters for their needs and wants. We got to the game late due to traffic issues, but this isn't the AFL's fault as evidenced by the amount of time I've spent in the Eastern Distributor on the way to the SFS.

When I got into the ground and my brother offered to go get pies and drinks at the quarter break AND see someone in the crowd he wanted to catch up with, I settled in, expecting him to miss the bounce for the second quarter and most of the action until halftime. He was back in 10 minutes. Not achievable at the rugby during a break when the ground is 80% full.

Later in the game I was still feeling peckish (half a game of rugby and no dinner at this point) and decided to go get some more food. No lineup anywhere despite a large group of people in flux between seats and other business. Nothing like the SFS.

At the rugby, you don't get a whole section of ladies in their 50s and 60s - and well-spoken, well-dressed ones at that - yelling at the players by their first name, telling them what they did wrong and how much they hate umpires. You might call that a lack of class, but I was right there shouting with them, and caught up in the passion they and the crowd around me displayed. They loved the game. They loved their team. They loved the fact that everyone around them felt the same, even the Brisbane Lions fans.

When the crowd fell too quiet, the chants went up. When a goal was scored, or the home side needed a lift, a few individuals would start a chant and the crowd would join in. I got a glimpse that maybe I'd just been to the first sporting event in Sydney in a long time where the people in the crowd actually gave a damn about helping their team, rather than worrying whether yelling out loud made them look like fools.

Thinking back, and comparing the crowd noise in live feeds of S14, NRL, AFL, and A-League, its becoming quite clear that not only are we 4th on the ladder in terms of presence, but we're also there on crowd ability to support their team by attendance and behaviour.

So, there is a healthy chance I may be in attendance at Waratahs v Hurricanes. There is a good chance yet that we'll be playing for a finals spot. I urge you all, if you see a fat bald bastard start a chant, or anyone for that matter, join in. Don't go quiet when they're packing a scrum, fire up and show the boys that we want this shot at the title as bad as any of the overpaid blokes on the pitch. Get into the ref when he fucks us over. Get into their kicker when he's taking a shot. Scream for a yellow card when one of those dirty Kiwi bastards kills the ball, takes a player high, or infringes 5 metres out.

If you're a Kiwi reading this - make sure you go to town on those Aussie bastards too!

I know I will, and I also know that if the crowd doesn't meet my expectations in numbers or passion, that will be, without doubt, the last Waratahs match I attend. Its not bad enough that the team continues to disappoint with the on-field performances and off-field management debacles, but the fans are as wet as an Invercargill night and don't inspire me to be among them.

The AFL has one team in Sydney, and it has 29,000 members. Even when they establish a second team those numbers will stay healthy because the AFL wants it so. I will continue to love rugby. I will continue to play it for as long as the body holds up (and the wife lets me). But at this point in time, I'm giving serious consideration to signing up with the GWS franchise as a member and getting what I want out of a sporting event, not just a bunch of people who can't get behind their team

Its up to you, rugby fans.

Regards,

NTA

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The Reds crowds have started to fire up a bit and all we have received on this board is comments about being crass and uncouth. It's good to see someone else thinking going to the footy could be a whole lot more fun.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I can totally relate to what you are saying.

Went to an AFL match once at Carrara stadium on the Gold Coast to watch Melbourne vs Adelaide (2 interstate teams). The attendence was about 9,000 which is good for a small ground like Carrara. As a Melbourne supporter, it was awesome to see other Melbourne supporters from Brisbane and the Gold Coast turn up to watch their team (likewise with Adelaide) and the chanting and cheer squad maintain their presence for the 4 quarters. Some of the passion exhibiting by AFL fans at games is great to be apart of; lots of anger is dished out to the umpires.

What I hate as a rugby supporter is turning up to Suncorp to watch the Wallabies play the All Blacks and feeling outnumbered by Kiwi supporters and their support for their team. It's a freaking home game for christ sakes.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Yeah, there's no doubt that AFL is in rude health. Everywhere outside NSW and Qld favours it as a code, and it's growing in those states too. Growing up in WA I'd never even heard of rugby union until high-school. During the grand-final the streets of Perth were all but empty. It's insane as an Australian rugby union supporter to think that AFL is nothing more than a domestic competition. Imagine if the AFL was the ARC! Imagine if we had those kinds of crowd numbers, media interest and player base for a domestic rugby competition, with the all-stars becoming the wallabies each year. We'd be unstoppable. Pipe dreams, sadly.

I really don't know what can be done to limit the growth of AFL and promote the growth of RU. Getting the fifth Aussie side could well help. AFL shows us nothing if not that Aussies love derbies. Any chance we could convince the CEO of the AFL to take the ARU on as a quiet retirement project in a few years?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't think anything can or should be done to limit the growth of the AFL. They've been very smart and are committed to their game first and foremost, and their team only occasionally gets above it in priority. AusKick beats the shit out of every other setup in the country for juniors, including soccer, which is left to the clubs to manage completely, and pay exorbitant fees that mostly go up the chain of command to the local and state associations.

If we as a club ask the NSWRU or NSWSRU for help, its generally a shrug and a shake of the head, or you're expected to fork out money up front to cover some unexplained cost. Want a player appearance? Good luck! We got Matt Dunning one year because he knew a bloke on the committee and wasn't able to play due to injury. Other than that, you're on your own, unless your committee is stacked with the right school ties.

Some clubs in First Division are there just because they have the depth to stay off the bottom of the championship table. We're trying to have three teams but as someone said yesterday: what is the point of paying the money to run Halligan Cup when you can't get people out west to play us?

There is no hope left for smaller Subbies Rugby clubs unless 4th Division is reinstated, and that just doesn't look like happening as players, disillusioned with not fitting into a 2-Grade structure, go to bigger clubs and occasionally get paid for it. Even if we had the numbers to jump to Div 3 (need to add two grades), who are they going to kick out? Try asking a club to shed half their player depth! Not going to happen.

Its a fucking mess, and there is no recourse for us except to field distinct 5th and 6th Division teams until 4th Division picks itself back up.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Surprised there weren't more replies to this. WJ? #1tahfan?

I hear you NTA. Before moving OS I had only been to a few Tahs games in the early Tuquiri days but equal amount of Swans games. I really couldn't care much if the Swans had won the week before or the week after but loved going because being there you really got behind them. It was awesome. I'm a Tahs fan but didn't find much inspiration at the game. If I was to have an OS visitor and wanted to show him an aussie sport it would be an AFL game purely because of the fanatical crowd element, and wouldn't bother with a union game. How to solve this problem? Getting out there and supporting the team for starters. I hope to again one day soon.

Could they just give away heaps of free tickets at the start of the season just to get the crowd in and create an atmosphere then build from there? Just a thought.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Paris Tah said:
Surprised there weren't more replies to this. WJ? #1tahfan?

yes. go support GAFL if you must.

i kid. it is up to you and I wont stop you from supporting the swannies. Just dont forget the Tahs when we win the final in 4 weeks! :thumb

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And TV is EXACTLY the problem - people watch too much rugby on TV. We over-analyse it and when we're at the game treat it like we're the coach. Actually the fucking coaches show more emotion than most fans at a Tahs game (even Link aka The Brick With Eyes).

So, come Friday week, people better fire the fuck up because it could be the whole season on the line.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm in, and a few of the other guys seem keen to pub crawl on the way to the game as well.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
NTA said:
So, come Friday week, people better fire the fuck up because it could be the whole season on the line.

I thought you were going to do the "roll these c*nts" but thats good too :fishing

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Moses said:
I'm in, and a few of the other guys seem keen to pub crawl on the way to the game as well.

I'm not in - I will barely be able to make the game by kickoff but mayhap a drink afterwards?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
too much trouble, noone to go with, as much as i love rugby, staying at home and watching it is just soo much easier, especially since you dont get anything out of the tahs games

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
How about a deal be struck between Tah management - in the form of Hickey and Waugh - and the fans?

The fans' offer is: "if you play competent 15-man rugby with skill, passion and a sound game plan we will go bananas for you in the stands".

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
An excellent post NTA - one of the best of the year.

Can't say too much more as you covered everything.

I don't know why the Sydney rugby union crowd is so vanilla except when a Kiwi team is in town and 20% of the crowd make more noise than the other 80%. It was better when Super rugby started up, but after a few years it calmed down even with bigger crowds than we have now and even when the Tahs were having a crack.

The Sydney crowd are not aficionados of the game; they are consumers of entertainment, and spoilt for choice in sport. I'm not sure why it is so quiet at the ground here. Yonks ago I was at a NSW v Queensland game in Ballymore and the hate for the Tahs ("Boo a Blue" was the catch cry) was virulent and it united the crowd. The Canberra mob is scarcely less vocal in their support of their team and the Force mob were in good voice at their new ground for the Crusaders game the weekend before last.

Why the AFL have feral support for their game is beyond me. It certainly has the ability to create tribal loyalties. Maybe our game is too cerebral for the average Aussie footie fan though it isn't for those in other countries who don't have other footie codes to shop around in.

I've never been to many rugby games in Oz when the crowd went berserk for their team - even the Wallabies. The exception was during the 2003 RWC semi-final when Kiwis were quiet as mice for a change - even the Poms in the crowd were making more noise in singing "Sweet Chariot" and their team wasn't even playing. Then it came: during the game the crowd spontaneously started singing "Waltzing Matilda" to drown out the Poms. I got goosebumps and started singing it loud into the earhole of the Kiwi bloke sitting in front of me.

It felt good, but it hardly ever happens. Not in Sydney.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I can't believe the slating this is copping on the Blog. They are totally missing the point...

Makes me want to fly down just to yell for 80 minutes...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They could start by getting rid of the rock music being played every 30 seconds at Tahs games.

As for noise at games, that ain't me, I like to watch the game and have a bit of banter with guys about me and enjoy a bear.

S

simonr

I know what the issue is with the tah fans, and it boils down to one thing - lack of organisation not allowing punters to get drunk. Ive been going to Super games at SFS for about 10 years now, and 10 years ago, even though the tahs were shitter than they are currently (see how far we've come?) the fans were always into it, and its because they were drunk. The traffic around the SFS was not nearly as bad and so people got there earlier. And when you're standing around pre game, you start hitting the beers. And if traffic was bad, say on a friday night, they would delay kick off 15 minutes to let more people come in but Fox has killed that idea. Also, the SFS catering management all changed, and I've never seen a more incompetent group of sports ground caterers anywhere in the world (keep in mind several of the Bali 9 worked there). Consequently, getting a beer pre game now at the SFS is like getting a licence renewel at the RTA. Lots of standing around with nothing to look at. Post games also used to be an event (what ever happened to Saddle Rash?) so there was a whole culture of Big Night Out at the Rugby which isnt there anymore.

Now when I get to a game at SFS, no one (myself included) can be bothered getting on it and everyone sits back and watches the rugby, murmuring comments to each other about how Hangers stands too deep, or how Waugh seagulls on the wing too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.