• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Annoying words, phrases, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I know it's very uncool to have a whinge about the fire services after their recent sterling efforts, but I have to confess the warning level called "Watch and Act" annoys me a bit. Am I supposed to Watch, or Act? If I'm watching, I'm not acting.

Its a tough one, if you say "watch then act" you might be encouraging people to act when not required. Implying you must act. "Watch and act if required" is probably too wordy to cut through as intended.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Its a tough one, if you say "watch then act" you might be encouraging people to act when not required. Implying you must act. "Watch and act if required" is probably too wordy to cut through as intended.

Yes, but they actually mean act now, not act if required. Perhaps just "Act" was too short.

They obviously have spent some time thinking about words - I see that places of refuge are called "Neighbourhood Safer Places", not Safe Places. That is, you're less likely to burn if you go there, but we can't rule it out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Watch and Act is fine and a pretty apt description of what you're meant to do.

You're meant to continue watching what is happening with the fire that is threatening you and begin acting to ensure you are as safe as possible.

I.e. if your plan is to evacuate if it becomes an emergency, now is the time to pack your sentimental belongings in the car and whatever else you're going to take with you. Ensure that all your bushfire preparations are completed to protect your property etc.

I'm not sure what a better term for it would be. I think the key point about it is that if the fire gets to the Emergency level, it's too late to be trying to think of saving your sentimental belongings and packing the car ready to go.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
"pressurised" instead of "pressured"

Many commentators, coaches, players, etc. use it.

I'm looking at you Ieuan Evans.

Status
Not open for further replies.