• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ANZAC Day anthems - BRU vs CHI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyDR

Bob McCowan (2)
I've just read that SANZAR have forbidden the Australian and New Zealand anthems from being played at the grand final rematch between the Brumbies and Chiefs on ANZAC Day. Although I understand the reasons for the decision (anthems only to be played at internationals etc etc) I hope that the Australian and New Zealand rugby fans who will be attending this match spontaneously (and proudly) sing the anthems. Cpl Mark Donaldson VC will read the Ode before kick off so I suggest the "spontaneity" begin after the official matters conclude.

The curtain raiser between The Royal Military College (RMC) and Australian Defense Force Academy (ADFA) should be a spiteful and entertaining affair so I strongly recommend getting there early to watch RMC get one over on the students from ADFA (obvious bias intended).

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
If that's correct then it is a bloody stupid decision.FFS why should it be only internationals where they are played?I would have thought one team from Oz and another from NZ are international enough anyway.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Same happened last year for the Reds ANZAC game. We didn't go to the press about it though.

P

Paradox

Read somewhere that there will be 4 VC winners in the crowd. Amazing.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't think there should be anthems at any matches. Maybe if you win the world v cup, Olympic style. I just find it a bit nationalistic and I feel sport should be free from politics.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But if it annoys SANZAR, isn't it worth it?

It's the broadcasters more than sanzar and more the international Broadcasters. They time their schedule pretty tightly and 5 or so minutes of anthems throws of their schedule.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So work backwards and start the Anthems bit earlier to keep the kickoff at the Scheduled Broadcast time.

If it doesn't make the Live broadcast, so what?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Well we'll just have to sing it anyway.

@Merrow - working on it!

Need to get some Kiwi's on Board to help with their anthem!

I have suggested to Chris Wilson the Canberra Times print a special lift out with the words for each anthem for Anzac GF replay.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
@Merrow - working on it!

Need to get some Kiwi's on Board to help with their anthem!

I have suggested to Chris Wilson the Canberra Times print a special lift out with the words for each anthem for Anzac GF replay.
I'm in.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Ruckus Crew have said that they'll play the anthems at 5.30.

Awesome!

I believe there should be a big preamble as last post being played etc. so there will be plenty of opportunity and potentially live!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Read somewhere that there will be 4 VC winners in the crowd. Amazing.

More remarkable is that there are only 4 Australian winners alive today - three of them with the more modern VC for Australia (Donaldson SASR, Roberts-Smith SASR, Keighran 6RAR) and one with the "Imperial" VC (Keith Payne AATV). Believe they're all in town for ANZAC Day commemoration.

Payne had balls as large as church bells - how he dragged them around Vietnam I'll never know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Payne

In May 1969 he was commanding the 212th Company of the 1st Mobile Strike Force Battalion when it was attacked by a strong North Vietnamese force. His company was isolated and, surrounded on three sides, Payne's Vietnamese troops began to fall back. Payne, by now wounded in the hands and arms and under heavy fire, covered the withdrawal before organising his troops into a defensive perimeter. He then spent three hours scouring the scene of the day's fight for isolated and wounded soldiers, all the while evading the enemy who kept up regular fire. He found some forty wounded men, brought some in himself and organised the rescue of the others, leading the party back to base through enemy dominated terrain

The NVA probably thought: Fuck this, we can't kill this white guy. Let him go.

Having retired from the Army in the 70s, he got bored, so went off and fought commies in Oman.

Status
Not open for further replies.