• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ANZAC XV - Aus/NZ vs the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Just a concept at this stage and seems a long way from getting off the ground. Would prefer this to happen than the Wallabies vs Mungoes if the ARU needs some cash.

ASSEMBLING a star-studded Anzac XV to set Suncorp Stadium abuzz next year has trans-Tasman backing to commemorate the centenary of the Gallipoli campaign.
Queensland Sports Minister Steve Dickson and Martin Welsh, New Zealand’s Consul-General to Australia, are both avid backers of turning this worthy idea into a rugby union showpiece to honour the birth of the proud Anzac tradition.
The mouth-watering concept of Will Genia, Israel Folau, Sonny Bill Williams and Dan Carter linking in the same backline behind a pack uniting Richie McCaw and James Horwill to play the British and Irish Lions is no longer in the too-hard basket.
“Let’s make it happen. There is not one breathing Australian or New Zealander who wouldn’t want to represent our forefathers and pay back that memory,’’ Dickson said on Tuesday.
“It is the reason we are here today as nations.’’

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...ions-in-brisbane/story-e6frf55l-1226878204064

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Australia and New Zealand could become allied forces in Anzac XV to tame Lions in Brisbane
ASSEMBLING a star-studded Anzac XV to set Suncorp Stadium abuzz next year has trans-Tasman backing to commemorate the centenary of the Gallipoli campaign.

Queensland Sports Minister Steve Dickson and Martin Welsh, New Zealand’s Consul-General to Australia, are both avid backers of turning this worthy idea into a rugby union showpiece to honour the birth of the proud Anzac tradition.

The mouth-watering concept of Will Genia, Israel Folau, Sonny Bill Williams and Dan Carter linking in the same backline behind a pack uniting Richie McCaw and James Horwill to play the British and Irish Lions is no longer in the too-hard basket.

“Let’s make it happen. There is not one breathing Australian or New Zealander who wouldn’t want to represent our forefathers and pay back that memory,’’ Dickson said on Tuesday.

See the whole article at: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...ions-in-brisbane/story-e6frf55l-1226878204064

This proposed game, unlike the England rugby league vs Wallabies fixture, appears to have a far greater chance of getting off the ground, especially with the political backing from both sides of the Tasman. Without being presumptuous, I don't think there would be many players that wouldn't jump at the chance to be involved in what would be a such a historically significant occasion.

I doubt we'll have any complaints coming from the ARU about this game (who need the money), but I can envision the NZRU will probably have their concerns about the workload of their All Blacks, and also the location of the fixture. Not to mention, the British and Irish unions might veto the idea in favour of resting their players after the long season.

Ideally, it would need to be played in that June test window, which is empty (?) next year due to teams reducing workload leading up to the RWC. It will be interesting to see how this pans out in any case.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Here is my 23:

Woodcock
Moore
Franks
Whitelock
Horwill
Fardy
McCaw
Read
Genia
Cooper
Savea
To'omua
Smith
Smith
Folau

TPN
Robinson
??? what other decent tight heads are there?
Retallick
Hooper
Smith
Cruden
Dagg

I reckon Carter would struggle after not playing rugby for 2 years and I reckon Cooper is the next best flyhalf in Australasia. SBW might be a crowd drawer, but he hasnt played rugby for over a year, so I wouldnt pick him as being the best 12 out there. To'omua is. Also, Fardy is a better 6 than Higgers. Higgers is an 8, but he isnt a better 8 than Read.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Not a chance any of the NH teams will let an exhibition match eat into their World Cup preparations. As much as the ANZAC centenary will be special for Australians and Kiwis this is one commemoration which won't be going ahead.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
what an awesome concept.

If it is to be played in June then it has to be played out here. A better financial result would be for it to be played in the North in November but I don't care really. You'd fill the MCG or Stadium OZ. Suncorp would have the atmosphere though

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Here is my 23:

Woodcock
Moore
Franks
Whitelock
Horwill
Fardy
McCaw
Read
Genia
Cooper
Savea
To'omua
Smith
Smith
Folau

TPN
Robinson
??? what other decent tight heads are there?
Retallick
Hooper
Smith
Cruden
Dagg

I reckon Carter would struggle after not playing rugby for 2 years and I reckon Cooper is the next best flyhalf in Australasia. SBW might be a crowd drawer, but he hasnt played rugby for over a year, so I wouldnt pick him as being the best 12 out there. To'omua is. Also, Fardy is a better 6 than Higgers. Higgers is an 8, but he isnt a better 8 than Read.

the first thing you'd need to do before deciding on Cooper is work out whether you were going to play NZ or cooper style rugby - the former has been going decidedly better over the last little while

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not a chance any of the NH teams will let an exhibition match eat into their World Cup preparations. As much as the ANZAC centenary will be special for Australians and Kiwis this is one commemoration which won't be going ahead.
could be a bunch of blokes like the World XV with Gits Mitchell and the like

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This comes up every year.. move along.

But if it were to happen.. how about an ANZAC team made up from Aus and NZ players overseas since they won't be involved in the World Cup anyway.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Overseas ANZAC XV
1. Neemia Tialata
2. Corey Flynn / Hikawera Elliot
3. John Afoa / Carl Hayman
4. Ali Williams / Dean Mumm
5. Sitaleki Timani
6. Peter Kimlin
7. George Smith
8. Chris Masoe
9. Alby Mathewson
10. Nick Evans
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Giteau
13. Rene Ranger / Richard Kahui
14. Hosea Gear / Sitiveni Sivivatu
15. James O'Connor

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
I don't want to pour cold water on the idea but the concept failed in the 80's. I was their at Ballymore when the ANZAC's took on the Lions. Unfortunately there was only three All Blacks. Steve McDowall, Botica and one other.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just a concept at this stage and seems a long way from getting off the ground. Would prefer this to happen than the Wallabies vs Mungoes if the ARU needs some cash.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...ions-in-brisbane/story-e6frf55l-1226878204064

Why the Lions? Being held responsible for the disaster that was Gallipoli?;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not even sure why anyone wants this game, it would just be like a Barbarians game, a couple of teams thrown together, there would be no decent combinations etc, and game would be a real stop start affair.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But the point of Baabaas games is no-one gives a fuck who wins except the team facing them. Any SH v NH rivalry is doomed to win-at-all-costs by default.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Wouldn't it much more logistically achievable and memorable to just hold the first Bledisloe Cup game of the year on the actual ANZAC Day? I'm sure the Super Rugby teams would be willing to release their selected players for a one off match. The schedule would need a little fiddling but nothing dramatic.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wouldn't it much more logistically achievable and memorable to just hold the first Bledisloe Cup game of the year on the actual ANZAC Day? I'm sure the Super Rugby teams would be willing to release their selected players for a one off match. The schedule would need a little fiddling but nothing dramatic.

Had the same thought, but these need to be meaningful competitions. Trying to throw a Test lineup together in a week is not going to happen in the professional era, except for the occasional June or Spring tour match where competitions run right up against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.