• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Are the Brumbies up the Creek..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Maybe - but that article just appeared in the Telegraph today so looks like the rumours are ongoing..

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The UK Telegraph has generally very good RFU sources. And the RFU maybe trying to entice White by flattering leaks.

The new RFU CEO is an impressive operator that, as he's said, won't muck around in securing and patiently waiting for the right world class talent, and he knows this call will be critical to his own evolving reputation with his Board and the English rugby public.

White's track record is surely more impressive and fresher than Mallet's. One can't help but believe that White will be hugely tempted by the England job. This rumor has endured and now is revived.

If he does in truth look like getting serious with England, the ACT RU could do a lot worse than try and persuade Matt Taylor not to leave the Reds for Scotland in late 2012 (as was announced a few days ago), but head for Canberra instead as head coach, a position he's probably ready for.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's no evidence in any of these articles that White is even in contention...

White has stated that he hasn't even applied for it...

As has been suggested... it's the English trying to feel him out...

These rumors are going to continue for the next 4 years...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This rumor started a few days ago before the Telegraph article...

I felt it best to ignore...

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/white-cant-rule-out-future-england-move-20120307-1ukum.html

"I can never rule that out, let's be honest," said White, who coached South Africa to World Cup victory in 2007.
"The reality is who knows where I'm going to be in 'X' amount of time.
"Some coaches have got deals that last the whole deal, some coaches get fired halfway through their deal. It's such a volatile job . . . all I'm doing now is controlling what I can control and that is this [Super Rugby] campaign [with the Brumbies].
"The bottom line is I'm very focused on making sure this is a successful season for the Brumbies."

I'm sorry Slim, but this isn't looking good. He's now changed his commitment from 4 years to 1.

I appreciate your loyalty to the Brumbies, I really do....however it's leading you blind on this topic. If White walks out on the club this Season, the players will left shattered and the Brumbies recruiting process will fall to pieces. He had promised the club he was in it for the long haul, and had promised the same to the players. He was building a new culture, a new team.

What's with all these foreign 'big deal' head coaches tarnishing Australian teams?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/white-cant-rule-out-future-england-move-20120307-1ukum.html

"I can never rule that out, let's be honest," said White, who coached South Africa to World Cup victory in 2007.
"The reality is who knows where I'm going to be in 'X' amount of time.
"Some coaches have got deals that last the whole deal, some coaches get fired halfway through their deal. It's such a volatile job . . . all I'm doing now is controlling what I can control and that is this [Super Rugby] campaign [with the Brumbies].
"The bottom line is I'm very focused on making sure this is a successful season for the Brumbies."

I'm sorry Slim, but this isn't looking good. He's now changed his commitment from 4 years to 1.

I appreciate your loyalty to the Brumbies, I really do....however it's leading you blind on this topic. If White walks out on the club this Season, the players will left shattered and the Brumbies recruiting process will fall to pieces. He had promised the club he was in it for the long haul, and had promised the same to the players. He was building a new culture, a new team.

What's with all these foreign 'big deal' head coaches tarnishing Australian teams?

Wow you're jumping the gun a bit there aren't you?! No where in Jake's comment above does he say that he's planning on bailing on the Brumbies after one season. That's the way you're interpreting it.

Have you ever heard a rugby coach or player say something along the lines of, "...we're taking things one week at a time and only focusing on the game this weekend. Everything else is irrelevant at this stage."?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
When I read the first article, I thought "what bullshit, JW would never walk out on the Brumbies so quickly". Then I read the second article. It's exactly as Nathan said: JW has reduced his firm committment to one year, and would clearly like to be coaching at the RWC in 2015. Pretty shitty, if you ask me.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I have concerns about this.

The World Cup is in England in 2015 and they will want to win it all costs and will probably throw everything, including the kitchen sink, to get him. As someone suggested they will probably even throw an extra 0 at the end of his current pay to get him.

The fact that he says he will at least see out this year suggests something is up.
Brumbies hierarchy would be shitting themselves right now

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I read it as that as well, but who knows what he actually meant. I assume, though, that England won't want to spend this year waiting for Jake to finish with the Brums and it seems rather unlikely that he'd leave right now so my leaning is that it won't happen.

If I was a Brumbies supporter and White did bail I would be mightily pissed off, that's for sure.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Reading the full article in the Canberra Times my money is on White leaving at the end of this season. The comments have changed dramatically. A real shame as I believe Jake has brought about very positive changes to the set up, the only mistake I think is the directive that players must stay and play in Canberra, senior players will not come here if they have options.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wow you're jumping the gun a bit there aren't you?! No where in Jake's comment above does he say that he's planning on bailing on the Brumbies after one season. That's the way you're interpreting it.

Have you ever heard a rugby coach or player say something along the lines of, "...we're taking things one week at a time and only focusing on the game this weekend. Everything else is irrelevant at this stage."?

I havent tracked everything JW had said so I cannot say whether this is a change:

I will say that it seems to me that the only way to interpret the comment is that its a year to year proposition.
If England want White they will wait until the end of the S15 season. Given that he did not leave the Boks at a time of his choosing there's a good chance he yearns to coach at the pinnacle but one wonders how keen anyone would be to coach England - Henry's observations about them ring true to me.
If JW can change the dysfunctional culture at the Brums before the end of the s15 season then I dont think supporters should fret too much and if he can't well I question whether he ever could have.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
The likely outcome is he will do two seasons in Brumby land (2012/2013) before taking the job. This is only one more six nations before heading over to take charge.

That's long enough time for him to develop the significant amount of talent they have for the world cup and short enough time before the big event that they can't replace him after an unfortunate run of results (two seasons)...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Cheika is becoming the forgotten man of Aus rugby. Or maybe he has forgotten about us. Moving to the Brumbies would be a pay cut, for sure.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's wait and see...

Obviously White is being careful with his language as to leave all options open to him for the future...

But so far nothing more is being said other than he's on England's short list...

England could genuinely be interested, or his name is being used to strengthen up the candidates...

I just don't like the distraction it could cause on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.