• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

are the IRB nuts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It's pretty hard to digest. It was clearly an accident. I think it leaves us all questioning a bit why we do the things we do, or how quickly it can all come undone.

At this point you just want the best for the young man.

T

TOCC

One of my mates became a quadriplegic a couple years ago after a car accident and watching that video of Alex and that tackle makes me feel ill.

I don't think there was anything outrageously wrong with the tackle, it was more a combination of a few different factors that lead to what happen'd.. But I think it does stress the need for a ref to emphasise that you can't tip a player past horizontal

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I probably could've picked any number of threads criticising the IRB's crackdown on tip tackles, but this was the most recent..........

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Accident? Bullshit - the NRL has become a place where martial arts techniques designed specifically to inflict pain and disabled a player are the modus operandi of teams like South Sydney and Melbourne Storm. The adjudicated "dominant tackle" has given players carte blanche to try and smash someone. Three guys picked up that kid and drove him headfirst into the ground. There was no need for the third guy to even be there.

A couple of years ago Mark Geyer on MMM Sydney was saying that if the shoulder charge was to be banned, then players should be rewarded for leg tackles, with more leniency in releasing for the next play-the-ball.

The current training for tackling - to hit and drive upwards, will lead to a percentage of tackles going wrong like this. When it was simply a matter of cheek-to-cheek and take their legs, then you dragged them to ground and the game continued as everyone rolled away.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Accident? Bullshit - the NRL has become a place where martial arts techniques designed specifically to inflict pain and disabled a player are the modus operandi of teams like South Sydney and Melbourne Storm. The adjudicated "dominant tackle" has given players carte blanche to try and smash someone. Three guys picked up that kid and drove him headfirst into the ground. There was no need for the third guy to even be there.

A couple of years ago Mark Geyer on MMM Sydney was saying that if the shoulder charge was to be banned, then players should be rewarded for leg tackles, with more leniency in releasing for the next play-the-ball.

The current training for tackling - to hit and drive upwards, will lead to a percentage of tackles going wrong like this. When it was simply a matter of cheek-to-cheek and take their legs, then you dragged them to ground and the game continued as everyone rolled away.

absolutely agree 100%

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And of course having 3 in the tackle makes it harder or perhaps impossible to decide who is at fault - it just becomes a mass of arms, legs and bodies, with the weight of the 3 coming down on top of the one. The prime purpose of this is to slow down the play, as it takes three tangled bodies longer to get up off the tackled player. When this weight is combined with the momentum of the ball carrier, gravity and the angle of bodies, there is a significant amount of force driving the tackled player into the ground. Combine this with wrestling and other martial arts holds you've got a problem in the making. It's a game of Russian roulette and eventually it will result in a player being seriously injured, as has happened to this young man.

Status
Not open for further replies.