• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Los Jaguares 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It could also work against them , if they only pick players from the Argentina Super Rugby team it means those players are going to be pretty fatigued with no break throughout the season. At least with other SANZAR teams they might have 6-8 players in the test squad but the Argentina team will have 30.

Good point, that will be brutal for them. I'd really like to see more Argies make their way into the other Super Rugby teams. I'm sure all the Aus sides would love to have a couple Argie props.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It could also work against them , if they only pick players from the Argentina Super Rugby team it means those players are going to be pretty fatigued with no break throughout the season. At least with other SANZAR teams they might have 6-8 players in the test squad but the Argentina team will have 30.

It'll be better for those players than it is now.

The top Argentinians in Europe would all currently play over 30 games per season (if injury free). They play a long European season, then have a break in June (missing the June internationals - which Argentina have been playing with a 2nd XV the last 3 years), then they get a few weeks preparation and go straight into the Rugby Championship. And after that they go straight back to their clubs again.

With their players based domestically Argentina will be able to field a full strength team in June as well as the Rugby Championship. They'll have a proper preparation and be at the same point in the season as the SANZAR teams.

Given the likely strength of their squad I imagine they'll probably rotate their team a bit in Super Rugby.

The challenge for them will actually be giving enough game time to their back up players. If a front line Australian or New Zealand player gets injured just before the Rugby Championship, then we bring in another guy who's been starting most of the season in Super Rugby. If Argentina lose a starting player to injury in 2016 they might be replacing them with someone who only started 3 games in the super rugby season and came off the bench for 15 minute stints in another 10.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The challenge for them will actually be giving enough game time to their back up players. If a front line Australian or New Zealand player gets injured just before the Rugby Championship, then we bring in another guy who's been starting most of the season in Super Rugby. If Argentina lose a starting player to injury in 2016 they might be replacing them with someone who only started 3 games in the super rugby season and came off the bench for 15 minute stints in another 10.

Depending on selection policies that might be optimum. Some coaches may have two back-ups getting 10-15 minutes every second game while starting with the same player every game.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
They will not get their highest earners in Europe back. The UAR can huff and puff with all this talk about local players only but the fact is that the top players are in a position of power in this case and aren't going to give up their high wages and limited travel in Europe to play for a isolated Super Rugby team with far less pay. When push comes to shove, watch the UAR fold come RC time when they realise how much they need these players to avoid getting flogged.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
They will not get their highest earners in Europe back. The UAR can huff and puff with all this talk about local players only but the fact is that the top players are in a position of power in this case and aren't going to give up their high wages and limited travel in Europe to play for a isolated Super Rugby team with far less pay. When push comes to shove, watch the UAR fold come RC time when they realise how much they need these players to avoid getting flogged.

I think they'll stick to their guns. The Argentinian Union have been wielding their power pretty strongly the past 12 months in terms of selections.

Of their star players in Europe, a lot of them are in their 30's and near the end of their career. Their best younger players seem to pretty much all be signing up. No doubt they'll get a few veterans come back from Europe who want to move home and be part of it, but they won't even be trying to get all of them.

If any country is going to keep guys at home because of pride in the jersey it will be Argentina. You only have to watch them sing their national anthem to see how important it is. Plus, Argentina is a relatively cheap place to live and most Argentinian rugby players come from a wealthy background. The Pumas jersey will have a lot of sway I think. But I guess we'll see.

Iñaki Zubizarreta

Herbert Moran (7)
I think they'll stick to their guns. The Argentinian Union have been wielding their power pretty strongly the past 12 months in terms of selections.

Of their star players in Europe, a lot of them are in their 30's and near the end of their career. Their best younger players seem to pretty much all be signing up. No doubt they'll get a few veterans come back from Europe who want to move home and be part of it, but they won't even be trying to get all of them.

If any country is going to keep guys at home because of pride in the jersey it will be Argentina. You only have to watch them sing their national anthem to see how important it is. Plus, Argentina is a relatively cheap place to live and most Argentinian rugby players come from a wealthy background. The Pumas jersey will have a lot of sway I think. But I guess we'll see.

Hi guys. I couldn't agree more with you, Omar. We know that everyone won't come, mostly the veterans. It's a shame cause they were fundamental in this process and development, but some forwards are currently in their middle thirties... I wish they come, but no big hopes. For example, Fernández Lobbe, Leguizamón, Ayerza, Albacete (already discarded), Hernández, Agulla and so on. And some players not that old, all around Europe as Nicolás Sánchez, Juan Imhoff, González Amorosino, Leonardo Senatore, Agustín Creevy, Juan Tuculet, haven't made a decision yet.

On the other hand, as you mentioned, some of the new boys have signed up. In the future, take a look at Lezana, Isa, Montero, Cubelli and Matera. They already have a TRC experience. And the Pampas XV has other boys for this summer, so may be they will also join the Super Rugby team.

I consider that keeping players at home is a good way to improve the domestic competition. Although, it's hard the payment issue, cause the Argentine rugby is still amateur here and neither the UAR nor the clubs have enough money to attract players with that. We only have the jersey proud, as you said before.

We see this like another step, and we're taking it seriously...

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I consider that keeping players at home is a good way to improve the domestic competition. Although, it's hard the payment issue, cause the Argentine rugby is still amateur here and neither the UAR nor the clubs have enough money to attract players with that. We only have the jersey proud, as you said before.

We see this like another step, and we're taking it seriously.

Good to get an Argentinian's perspective!

Have you heard anything more about the Super Rugby team? Where it will be based, team name, sponsorship etc? How will it be differentiated from the Pumas?

Iñaki Zubizarreta

Herbert Moran (7)

Have you heard anything more about the Super Rugby team? Where it will be based, team name, sponsorship etc? How will it be differentiated from the Pumas?

Actually, we only know that we'll play in the South Africa conference. UAR want to set home matches at Buenos Aires, but it seems hard to do it. About the franchise's name, we don't have any clue yet.

Well, of course the principal difference between Pumas and this team will be that the second one can include some foreign players. But at first it will be the Pumas base, we don't know nowadays if they will apply that policy for test selection (Pumas including only players who play in Argentinian league and Super Rugby). I think they will announce that just before the RWC.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

I think the name would be the same that they have used in this years for Argentina A: "Pampas XV" and the sponsors will be the same: Nike, ICBC (Industrial and Commercial Bank of China), Gatorade and others.

santiago fonseca

Frank Row (1)
I think the name would be the same that they have used in this years for Argentina A: "Pampas XV" and the sponsors will be the same: Nike, ICBC (Industrial and Commercial Bank of China), Gatorade and others.

the name is not determined yet, xv pampas continue to operate as a second team I may not be named so , as to the sponsors would be the same as the Pumas as they have contracts for all teams in the UAR , excuse my English. Greetings from Argentina

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
the name is not determined yet, xv pampas continue to operate as a second team I may not be named so , as to the sponsors would be the same as the Pumas as they have contracts for all teams in the UAR , excuse my English. Greetings from Argentina

They can rename the side A, and keep the name: "Pampas XV" for the Super Rugby franchise. That's what I would do, as most of the players in the new franchise have played many years for Pampas XV and that's good for the culture's team.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Creevy, Cubelli, Landajo, Sanchez, Montero, and Tuculet are all very good players.

Yep, there's some serious quality there. Depth will be the big question I imagine, but I'm sure they're thinking pretty seriously about it. Either way, I'm pretty excited to see the new Argentinian and Japanese teams trotted out.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Also, the Argentian team will, I imagine, bring a much more Northern Hemisphere style to their game, since the bulk of their players will have been playing North of the Wall. It will be interesting to see how that fares against some of the more traditionally free flowing rugby seen in the south, especially during the inter-conference games in Aus and NZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.