• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Los Jaguares 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe, but if they finish top or top two it will give them massive home crowd advantage in finals. I feel like their squad looks strong enough that careful player management will reduce the travel toll.

T

TOCC

might only be 10'000, but they will be the loudest 10'000 fans in the comp i bet.

Furthermore, based on a recent UAR news release, if my Spanish is correct the site listed above may not be the primary ground but an alternative in case other plans fall through.

T

TOCC

Argentina's Super Rugby team to be called the Los Jaguares(Jaguars)
Jaguars-logo.gif

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like the logo. I wonder if the English speaking commentators will call them the Jaguars or attempt to pronounce Los Jaguares (it's not the easiest Spanish word to pronounce properly)

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The J is not quite an H, it's more in the throat - like the ch in German. It's not a sound that exists in English (well, maybe in the ch in the word loch, but most people would just say it like 'lock' because they can't say it properly). You also need to roll the r, which is easier but some people can't cause in English we don't.

Some spanish accents would also have the g really soft and further back in the throat or even silent. The google translate version has a silent g for example https://translate.google.com/#en/es/jaguars - that is not very similar at all to jaguars in english. I think most would say the G though...so 'hag WAR es' (stress on the 2nd syllable) - with a more guttural h, war rhyming with tar and the r rolled.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies CEO thinks the new team will be called the Argentina Leopards, I think he might have his wires crossed as Leopards don't exist in Argentina.

Legend has it the "Pumas" tag was due to a Sethfricken journo mis-identifying the Jaguar on their jersey so Brumbies guy is upholding a tradition there.

born-red

Chris McKivat (8)
Been following Argentina for a couple years, even when the Los Pumas beat Reds A in 2014 I think....they will have an epic run on team, and now even most of their squad will have been capped for ARG already

Took way to long for the odds to come in, I got em at $81 and that was AFTER the WC.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Believe they are going to be called the Jaguars. In Africa at least I believe a jaguar and a leopard are one and the same. Brumbies' CEO might not be too far off the mark.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Believe they are going to be called the Jaguars. In Africa at least I believe a jaguar and a leopard are one and the same. Brumbies' CEO might not be too far off the mark.

They're one and the same in South America as well, not sure that they actually live in Africa though. Cougar, Puma, Jaguar, Mountain Lion and Panther are all the same animal.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Leopards, Jaguars & Panthers are all classed as "Panthera" but are different animals, Leopards & Jaguars being similar in that they both have spots but different in that the Leopard has shorter legs & a longer, more streamlined body. Panthers are a black variant of either (suggesting a common ancestor from when Africa & South America were joined). Jaguars are confined to South America, Leopards can be found in both Africa & Asia, Panthers in all three plus I think North America has (or at least had) a few.

Cougar, Mountain Lion & Puma are different names for the same animal, Puma in South America & either of the others in North America. They're classed as "Felinae" so share a common ancestor with the domestic cat.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Really enjoying the Nat-Geo version of Gr&G this morning. WO, what you say gels with my understanding.

Jaguars are looking very very good.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
A black panther is the melanistic color variant of any Panthera species. Black panthers in Asia and Africa are leopards (Panthera pardus) and black panthers in the Americas are black jaguars (Panthera onca).

Leopards and Jaguars are different, but BOTH can produce pure black animals (about 6%), which are BOTH referred to as Black Panthers.

The emblem on the Argentina Pumas Jersey is a standard spotted Jaguar, which as the story goes, was meant to be their original name until someone stuffed it up and referred to them as the Pumas (a different animal altogether), which stuck.

FINALLY, Argentina will have the team name they always wanted!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
A stab at the top line Jaguares side. Based on the 30 'Current Squad', WC games, Pampas XV games & BaaBaas game

Only 1 scrumhalf is listed for Super Rugby, so n.21 was drawn from the 2015 Pampas XV squad, whom also featured for ARG v Barbarians.

1. Botta 2. Creevy 3. Herrera
4. Petti 5. Lavanini
6. Isa 8. Senatore 7. Matera

9. Landajo 10. Sanchez 12. Martin Hernandez 13. de la Fuente
11. Cordero 15. Tuculet 14. Montero

16. Montoya 17. Paz 18. Chapparo 19. Alemanno 20. Leguizamon 21. Ezcurra 22. Iglesias 23. Moroni

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
A stab at the top line Jaguares side. Based on the 30 'Current Squad', WC games, Pampas XV games & BaaBaas game

Only 1 scrumhalf is listed for Super Rugby, so n.21 was drawn from the 2015 Pampas XV squad, whom also featured for ARG v Barbarians.

1. Botta 2. Creevy 3. Herrera
4. Petti 5. Lavanini
6. Isa 8. Senatore 7. Matera

9. Landajo 10. Sanchez 12. Martin Hernandez 13. de la Fuente
11. Cordero 15. Tuculet 14. Montero

16. Montoya 17. Paz 18. Chapparo 19. Alemanno 20. Leguizamon 21. Ezcurra 22. Iglesias 23. Moroni

That is one seriously good team. Many in that team would walk into every six nations first team. Along with the Brumbies and Chiefs would be favourites for Super Rugby this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.