• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v Australia, Mendoza 4/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
For starters, Ben McCalman is coming home with a shoulder injury. Rob Simmons and Matt To'omua copped head knocks and will be checked out later in the week.

Joining the tour are Jake Schatz and Will Skelton

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Assuming injuries don't come right:

1 Slipper
2 Fainga'a
3 Kepu
4 Carter
5 Horwill (40 minutes Big Kev - get excited or get on the bench)
6 Fardy
7 Hooper (c)
8 Higgers *gulp*
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Tomane
12 Horne
13 TK
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Folau

16 Mann-Rea - deserves a cap and a chance to prove himself
17 Robinson
18 Alexander (on earlier, please Link)
19 Skelton
20 Hodgson
21 Genia
22 Lealiifano
23 Beale

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

1 Slipper
2 Fainga'a
3 Kepu
4 Carter
6 Fardy
7 Hooper (c)
8 Higgers *gulp*
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Tomane
12 Horne
13 TK
15 Folau

17 Robinson
19 Skelton
20 Hodgson
21 Genia
22 Lealiifano
23 Beale

Can't see Hanson being excluded from the 23. Wouldn't be surprised to see Beale start at 12 either.

Could AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) play 12? So 12 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 13 TK 14 Horne?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Genia?
How much footy has he played in the last 2 months?
And he wasn't that flash when he was playing IIRC.
Not sure To'omua deserves to miss the 23 entirely.
Pretty sure some if his dumb shit was Links idea.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I find it interesting White is barely ever used off the bench. When White was starting Phipps always got plenty of time.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
White is a solid option for closing out a game, but we're not often in that position of late.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And while we're here:

mcbain__span.jpg

MENDOOOZAAAAAAA!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Those tackling stats are off the charts. We're going to be fatigued and travelling to a desperate Argentina in hope of getting their 1st win. :(

Can't see us winning this.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Those tackling stats are off the charts. We're going to be fatigued and travelling to a desperate Argentina in hope of getting their 1st win. :(

Can't see us winning this.

Despite the praise heaped on the Argies they never looked convinced they could win on Saturday.
i think they may have been eyeing the chance to beat us this week.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

1 Slipper
2 Fainga'a
3 Kepu
4 Carter
6 Fardy
7 Hooper (c)
8 Higgers *gulp*
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Tomane
12 Horne
13 TK
15 Folau

17 Robinson
19 Skelton
20 Hodgson
21 Genia
22 Lealiifano
23 Beale

Mostly agree, except for Mann-Rea, he's there as injury cover only and hanson hasn't done too much wrong.

I'm really divided in my opinions on Alexander. Kepu does look to need a rest earlier, but I'm furious with the way Alexander played when he came on. Multiple dropped balls, twice killing the fight back we tried to mount when the game was still in reach. He and Robinson did very little with their time, but at least Fat Cat didn't make a bunch of mistakes.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
On a side note, what's the deal with sports psychology these days? After every Wallabies loss, stories immediately hit the media avenues with such quotes like "the team would not allow themselves to dwell on the result" or "it’s important that we don’t walk around kicking stones" etc. It appears that after every loss the Wallabies are told to forget about it, pretend it never happened, just look ahead to the next game.
From what I remember, getting beaten gave you motivation to work harder to win next time. obviously things have changed over time. Is this how sports psychology works these days?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Mostly agree, except for Mann-Rea, he's there as injury cover only and hanson hasn't done too much wrong.

I'm really divided in my opinions on Alexander. Kepu does look to need a rest earlier, but I'm furious with the way Alexander played when he came on. Multiple dropped balls, twice killing the fight back we tried to mount when the game was still in reach. He and Robinson did very little with their time, but at least Fat Cat didn't make a bunch of mistakes.

Yeah but Robbo didn't impose himself nad I really thought he would have taken the opportunity. When does Sio come back, or is he back ???

Hanson should be the bench hooker and Beale back to Sydney - he offers nothing

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
On a side note, what's the deal with sports psychology these days? After every Wallabies loss, stories immediately hit the media avenues with such quotes like "the team would not allow themselves to dwell on the result" or "it’s important that we don’t walk around kicking stones" etc. It appears that after every loss the Wallabies are told to forget about it, pretend it never happened, just look ahead to the next game.
From what I remember, getting beaten gave you motivation to work harder to win next time. obviously things have changed over time. Is this how sports psychology works these days?
I reckon you'd be crazy taking any sort of message about anything to do with any professional team setup which comes from media quotes.

They're stage managed and have nothing to do with what's going on behind the scenes.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The time might have come to give Bob Dwyer's idea a crack and play Kuridrani at 12 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13.

Forget about having 2 "playmakers" kicking the ball away and just run over the Argies.

And while we're there, Izzy to wing, KB (Kurtley Beale) to fullback.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
It appears that after every loss the Wallabies are told to forget about it, pretend it never happened, just look ahead to the next game.

Every loss? I don't think so, there's a time and a place for constantly dwelling on the past. They used it last year for motivation

Their new coach had a few more lessons to dish out. On Thursday, while the rain lashed sideways in grey Wellington, a tape of last week's game ran on continuous repeat inside the team room at their hotel.

"I put it on today, and they're all in there sitting and watching it, having lunch and watching," McKenzie said.
"You've got to live in the real world. I've worked out when you travel around and you're in hotel rooms, you live in this detached world where you play and you go back [to the hotel], you're in the training environment and preparing, but the real world is out there."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/9078000/Ewen-McKenzie-still-angry-over-Bledisloe-loss

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The time might have come to give Bob Dwyer's idea a crack and play Kuridrani at 12 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13.

Forget about having 2 "playmakers" kicking the ball away and just run over the Argies.

And while we're there, Izzy to wing, KB (Kurtley Beale) to fullback.

Can't agree at all with moving players from their best positions, especially now that we should be looking for consistency leading into a RWC year.

So, TK stays at 13 where he is being lauded as potentially one of the world's best. Izzy stays at 15 where he is Aus rugby's best. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) stays on the wing where he is best placed to help the Aussie cause until someone better (Speight/Honey Badger) comes along.

If we want to change the setup to have a crash ball 12, then probably Inman is the best choice atm. But I wouldn't be proposing that change. The answer imo is to get Quade back fit and firing at 10. He and Matt To'omua made a compelling argument last year for two play makers at 10 and 12. Matt should be instructed however to not kick when a pass along the backline is an option. Let Quade do that as he is generally better. But first and foremost, play ball in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.