• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Arise Sir Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just choked on my beer here. Sky News UK reporting that Graham Henry is now Sir Graham Henry.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Nah, good on him. He's been coaching rugby for 28 years, through all age groups. He has come back from the doom and misery of 2007 and gone from a deeply divisive figure to one everyone in NZ admires, even if not everyone likes him. If we don't Knight a guy like Ted then I don't really know who we would Knight.

As for the value of a New Zealand Knighthood: it is valuable in NZ and why would anyone care what its value is anywhere else in the world.

As an aside, I think Jock Hobbs should have been Knighted, without him SANZAR would possibly never have got off the ground and rugby would be an even bigger circus than it already is.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
As for the value of a New Zealand Knighthood: it is valuable in NZ and why would anyone care what its value is anywhere else in the world.

Not really Dam0, just another excuse to give kiwis more stick.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Father Ted would become Saint Ted.

Surely Sir just doesn't cut the mustard.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Although I don't really roll with the whole knighthood thing, if they are going to give em, then Father Ted is agood bloke as any. He had to win the world cup to get it, but he's not getting knighted for that reason.

28 years coaching rugby has turned countless young kiwi lives around, created many a role model from people from lower socio economic backgrounds, he's handled losses/bad things with extreme dignity and has done it will with a sense of humility, he doesn't blame ref's, answers questions honestly & in doing all this, seems to piss a lot of you off.

Perfect.

Do Aussies not knight?

D

daz

Nothing against Ted. If it was offered, who wouldn't accept it? Good on him, and at the very least I suppose that means he will never have to buy himself a beer ever again.

It really does dilute the importance of it all when sportsman get these things for winning a competition.....MBE's to the entire English cricket team for winning the Ashes once in 25 years, for example?

As if the huge paychecks and public adulation are not reward enough.

I'm not having a go per se, but c'mon...if Ted gets one for winning the RWC then surely the Kiwi's (and indeed the Poms) are now honour bound to give one to every sportsman who brings home a gold medal or world title.

Forget the people who actually are heroes or are striving to improve the human condition via scientific discovery or humanitarian endeavour. Me thinks we have it all backward, somehow.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
There were a few NY queens honours, couple of dames and knights, and I'd barely heard of most of them - obviously the sports guys have the higher profile.

Richie was offered apparently, but turned it down.

Yes the precedent has been set, but I'd like to think Ted didn't get it for winning the WC, but got it for years and years of service, from the ground up, to the very top. I might be deluding myself though.

D

daz

Richie was offered apparently, but turned it down.

Yes the precedent has been set, but I'd like to think Ted didn't get it for winning the WC, but got it for years and years of service, from the ground up, to the very top. I might be deluding myself though.

Offering it to Ritchie is a total insult to the AB squad; is rugby not a supposed team sport? Like he won the thing himself. My admiration for him rose when he declined; it will probably go down if he does accept it when he retires.

Serious question MR: If Ted had lost the RWC, would he still have got a knighthood for 28 years coaching service? Or would he have been villified mercilessly and run out of town?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No, did away with Pommy knighthoods when we grew up in the 70s and 80s.
I nearly had a go at the imperial honours way back in this thread: uncharacteristically I held my piece.
Luckily.....because John Howard copped an imperial honour on new years day.
To suggest we have grown up when we share a head of state with NZ (ER2) and are a constitutional monarchy is a stretch: the only justification for our continuing status as an outpost of the empire is that we'd rather have a foreigner as head of state than a frigging politician.
We haven't grown up-we are adolescents

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
is the Kiwi knighthood in any way related to the British one if he is only known as 'Sir' in NZ?

D

daz

Ted will be "Sir Ted" everywhere he goes within the commonwealth. A knighthood is a knighthood. He is a knight of NZ.

While the likes of Oz and NZ discontinued the practice of imperial awards and honours from the Monarchy, they both implemented the same system within each political realm. While the Queen usually rubber-stamps any request from the commonwealth political leaders (via the Gov General) it is still seen as "asking for permission".

In other words, the awarding of the knighthood for Ted was a decision of the PM of NZ, not the Queen as per past practice.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
As if the huge paychecks and public adulation are not reward enough.

I'm not having a go per se, but c'mon...if Ted gets one for winning the RWC then surely the Kiwi's (and indeed the Poms) are now honour bound to give one to every sportsman who brings home a gold medal or world title.

Forget the people who actually are heroes or are striving to improve the human condition via scientific discovery or humanitarian endeavour. Me thinks we have it all backward, somehow.

Could not agree more with you and you make a very good point. Days went by where players would sacrifice so much more to play sport for their country.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Offering it to Ritchie is a total insult to the AB squad; is rugby not a supposed team sport? Like he won the thing himself. My admiration for him rose when he declined; it will probably go down if he does accept it when he retires.

Serious question MR: If Ted had lost the RWC, would he still have got a knighthood for 28 years coaching service? Or would he have been villified mercilessly and run out of town?

See my first line - he had to win it to get knighted, but he's not getting it for that reason.

Yes, Lindommer, I know we are still immature and need to grow up compared to Australians, you guys are the best, the most forward thinking, the most welcome and pretty much so just simply the best at everything, right? Worked this out a while ago.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
See my first line - he had to win it to get knighted, but he's not getting it for that reason.

Yes, Lindommer, I know we are still immature and need to grow up compared to Australians, you guys are the best, the most forward thinking, the most welcome and pretty much so just simply the best at everything, right? Worked this out a while ago.
no we're not

Status
Not open for further replies.