• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 ARU 7s Age Championships and Commonwealth Youth Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
From the GPS QLD forum:

"Hewat has declined the 7's as a busy year is ahead of him I heard . To much interference with GPS comp and Nationals which I believe he is focusing on selection for the the OZ schoolboy side but still a great honour to be put into the 24 man squad."

I had previously commented on that same forum that those finally selected will miss the last 2 games of the GPS season; there are also clashes with the individual school rugby camps, trial matches, also with the schoolboy trials, the nationals, aus school rep stuff etc. Busy year for boys with school work supposedly the priority.. and big decisions to be made if they are lucky enough to have options.

If for instance the 3 x BBC boys were to make the final team they would have three of their best players out for the last two games of the GPS season. 2 out of a 9 game season is a lot, espcecially if they are on scholarships and the schools therefore have a vested interest in them...
I believe Liam Moseley (NC) has also withdrawn and the 3 BBC boys still in as they only miss 1 GPS game with the last being a bye. How many NSW, ACT and VIC are attending?

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
I believe Liam Moseley (NC) has also withdrawn and the 3 BBC boys still in as they only miss 1 GPS game with the last being a bye. How many NSW, ACT and VIC are attending?
word from the boys is that Hewat and Mosely wanted to play but school said no?
but why let them try out then ???

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
They played for Qld in the 7's National Champs not the school and were picked on the back of that.

Yes we know that.
But why did the school let them play for Qld(they were at NC in school term) & then not let them try out for Aussie team. Pretty poor form. (I bet the ARU wants to know that)2 other boys might have got a go if that was the NC intention all along.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes we know that.
But why did the school let them play for Qld(they were at NC in school term) & then not let them try out for Aussie team. Pretty poor form. (I bet the ARU wants to know that)2 other boys might have got a go if that was the NC intention all along.
It is as both the boys stood a good chance of making the team, however IMO the school may have allowed them to participate as the training would have benefitted the boys preseason fitness and defence skills without giving thought to the CYG selection. Raw deal though. Brad Wilkin made Aus 7's and Aus u20 sides?

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes we know that.

Because the Nationals didnt conflict with any of their Nudgee committments but the Aus team does......

I think the boys still had a right to try out for the QLD team and both well and truly earnt their places in the team and then went on to earn their spot in the national squad.

I'm sure QLD would want to field their best team possible too, so if the boys didn't try out based on what "might" happen then QLD could have had two other boys in the team.... but would they have had the best team they could field?

Are any of the boys from NSW facing the same issue?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Because the Nationals didnt conflict with any of their Nudgee committments but the Aus team does..

I think the boys still had a right to try out for the QLD team and both well and truly earnt their places in the team and then went on to earn their spot in the national squad.

I'm sure QLD would want to field their best team possible too, so if the boys didn't try out based on what "might" happen then QLD could have had two other boys in the team.. but would they have had the best team they could field?

Are any of the boys from NSW facing the same issue?
Correct me if I am wrong but NSW rugby seasons starts in the second term and finishes with the Schoolboy Nationals early July and I am sure that they would have planed the camps around the NSW 7's training squad as they are in the majority.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Correct me if I am wrong but NSW rugby seasons starts in the second term and finishes with the Schoolboy Nationals early July and I am sure that they would have planed the camps around the NSW 7's training squad as they are in the majority.

NSW GPS comp starts 30 May and last game is 5 Sept. Schoolboys and Barbarian selections are in 1st week of July. I think a lot of decisions as to who is playing in what rep team will crystallise then.

Any boy aligned to a CAS or GPS school I imagine will need to prioritise school football ahead of sevens particularly if the last game determines the season outcome. If they are selected in Schoolboys, I'm sure that will take priority as well.

Usually teams have a shadow squad in the event of injuries so it might be their lucky day.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I believe the first camp is this weekend if anyone has inside information I'd be interested to see how many boys have had to withdraw.

RR2014

Bob McCowan (2)
Have no idea about who is going or not this weekend. But heard more about testing and then games to see who is up to the game of 7's.

RR2014

Bob McCowan (2)
By the way lets cast the mind back to the national 7's 6 weeks ago and who played in the finals and who didn't. It is not all about Qld as there were a lot of good players in the other states who played better than the Qld players and also NSW players over the 2 days. Hence why the selections and why some players missed out from Qld and NSW. Like always on this site people get peeved off because they believe players should have been selected, BUT they didn't, because either the players they played against were better throughout the championships or coaches have selected on the day the players who have performed over the championships. Sorry but players need to perform when on show not at other events or during school/club games. Time for people to wake up and stop complaining and wondering why a player missed out. Yes they may play better back at school or club or other tournaments but how did they perform when playing other players or teams when on the national stage, by the way in front of ARU national 7's men's/women's coaches and former national coaches, who helped select the 24 boys and girls. So you can't doubt why players got selected or missed out on this occasion.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Australian Youth Girls Sevens Commonwealth Games Program

June 26-28 Youth Girls Camp 2 – Sydney Academy of Sport
July 31 – August 2 Youth Girls Camp 3 – Sydney Academy of Sport
September 3-5 Pre Tournament Assembly Camp – Brisbane
September 5-13 Commonwealth Youth Games – Samoa

Australian Youth Boys Sevens Commonwealth Games Program

June 6-8 Youth Boys Camp 2 – Sydney Academy of Sport
July 4-8 Youth Boys Camp 3 – Sydney Academy of Sport
September 3-5 Pre Tournament Assembly Camp – Brisbane
September 5-13 Commonwealth Youth Games – Samoa

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...ompetition-heats-up-for-Comm-Youth-Games.aspx

RR2014

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes I also heard phone calls were made and a couple are not going to camp 2 I believe. The next camp is where they may make more changes. I heard all the boys did well and there was some good talent and skill level in the girls as well. Good luck to the head and assistant coaches a hard job to select the final 12 in both teams. But all sounds as though they will be both very good sides.

RR2014

Bob McCowan (2)
As far as I know all are still in the squad and will depend on the next couple of camps I believe. Not close enough I just hear along the rugby grape vine.

Status
Not open for further replies.