• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Fan Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Get into it lads and ladies:

The Australian Rugby Union is encouraging fans, players and stakeholders to join the conversation on the future of the game by completing The Australian Rugby Survey, which is now open.

I've started and just done the first two questions and neither capture the reasons I am involved in and watch the game. Makes me think they are a bit of out touch.

Reactions: TSR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Get into it lads and ladies:

I've started and just done the first two questions and neither capture the reasons I am involved in and watch the game. Makes me think they are a bit of out touch.

On a scale of 1 (not at all) to 5 (very pointless), how pointless did you find this survey about Australian rugby?

Reactions: TSR

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On a scale of 1 (not at all) to 5 (very pointless), how pointless did you find this survey about Australian rugby?

was very worried early as it was very professional rugby focussed. A few more grassroots questions later, which I think is the key.

As to the pointlessness of it? Well surely they can't ignore a groundswell. If only 30 people answer, then its pointless. But if hundreds, nay thousands do, then they wouldn't dare.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I told them I think they should focus on building up the NRC and Super Rugby. Improve these competitions and our teams in them and you'll get better Wallabies, more rugby fans in multiple markets, more heroes for kids to want to emulate and greater participation and investment in the grassroots.

Focusing primarily on the grassroots is a little bit of a red herring IMO. Basketball, for example, has a much larger base of players than rugby in Australia. But it's nowhere in the national sporting psyche because at the elite level its support has waned. The best thing that could happen for Australian rugby as a whole, IMO, is for the NRC and Super Rugby to get a lot more popular. The big events - Wallabies tests, Sydney Sevens (hopefully) etc should be the icing on top.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
It was a slightly tricky survey to answer. All of the elements are interrelated. Schools/junior rugby needs to grow as that's where players are initially generated, then club rugby and NRC need to give talented players a pathway to professionalism, then super rugby and the Wallabies need to be successful in order to inspire kids to sign up for schools/junior rugby.

T

Train Without a Station

I skewed my responses to highlight the important of NRC, making Super Rugby popular and the Wallabies consistent and also noted the Junior Rugby should be focused on over Premier Rugby.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good stuff. My priorities were around the NRC, free to air tv and the importance of supporting club rugby.

So basically everything under Super Rugby!

Reactions: gel

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hope we see the results, pretty interested to see what the public thinks - perhaps it's them that need to change.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
A mate just sent me through his responses - every possible answer involved banning the box-kick.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see who they contact in regards to follow up. I gave them my details in the hope I get contacted.

I find these surveys really hard as things can be interpreted in different ways. My idea of participation and theirs are definitely not the same thing.

I also made a few comments in regards to integrity as that is apparently on of their 5 pillars.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
was very worried early as it was very professional rugby focussed. A few more grassroots questions later, which I think is the key.

As to the pointlessness of it? Well surely they can't ignore a groundswell. If only 30 people answer, then its pointless. But if hundreds, nay thousands do, then they wouldn't dare.
I dunno. You'll be amazed what middle/upper management can ignore or skew. I worked for a bank once that did a staff survey which uncovered that staff moral was absolutely crap. One of their response measures was to sit us in a room and tell us they thought staff mostly misunderstood the questions.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The article on the Fan Survey says in part:

Fans who complete The Australian Rugby Survey will also be able to register their interest in undertaking additional consultation activities to create the 2016-2020 Australian Rugby Strategic Plan.

As part of the strategic review, the ARU Board has also commissioned an independent cultural review of professional Rugby in Australia.

ARU Chairman Michael Hawker said the review will be conducted by independent not-for-profit organisation, the St James Ethics Centre.

"This cultural review will examine the extent to which the values of Rugby Union in Australia are aligned and being applied by both players and administrators in the professional game. In other words, we want to know, if what we do and what we say are aligned,” said Hawker.

Around 400 people involved in professional Rugby in Australia will participate in the cultural review through an online survey and one-to-one interviews.

Findings and recommendations of the cultural review will be incorporated into the broader Strategic Plan for Australian Rugby, which is expected to be developed by November 2015.

I did the survey but have heard nothing despite indicating that I was able to help with the 2016-2020 Strategic Plan, "which is expected to be developed by November 2015".

Has anyone been contacted to undertake additional consultation activities to create the 2016-2020 Australian Rugby Strategic Plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.