• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU gonna start cutting it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Sounds seriously stupid to me, but who am I to know.

Big paycuts on cards as ARU seeks salary cap
Josh Rakic
March 13, 2011

THE Australian Rugby Union is set to introduce an NRL-like salary cap to curb player expenditure of more than $30 million, cracking down on third-party payments, and reducing individual player payments by as much as 25 per cent as the code continues to suffer financial pressure.

In a rebuilding phase after hitting rock bottom in 2009, Australian rugby is already resigned to a fall in profits this year due to a restriction on Wallabies' in-bound Tests as a result of the World Cup.

And while television ratings have had a big increase the ARU is following the lead of European competitions in looking to stem the outflow of cash.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The code's biggest expenditure? Players' wages.

''The game is experiencing some financial difficulties, and as such the ARU is reviewing all of their expenditure items, player salaries included,'' a source said. ''They're looking at introducing an overall salary cap.''

It is widely accepted that players are entitled to 25 to 30 per cent of Australian rugby revenue, but with revenue down significantly, the governing body is looking to slash that share.

The Rugby Union Players' Association is understood to be unhappy with the proposed changes, its members believing if players' wages are to be reduced then so, too, should those of the officials running the game. They want a holistic approach to finances.

While RUPA chief executive Greg Harris refused to be drawn on the topic before discussions with the ARU in coming weeks, he acknowledged the ARU's income was not as strong as five years ago, and said as a result discussions were likely to get heated.

''There are two areas of discussion in which we are looking to engage with the ARU very quickly on - one is the CBA [collective bargaining agreement] and one is the contracting protocol, which they are looking at introducing,'' Harris told The Sun-Herald.

''We're now waiting on the ARU on some advice as to when we are going to discuss things.''

The ARU has been looking to renegotiate the CBA since last year when the existing agreement expired but, due to changes in the RUPA administration and that its members - the players - were on Wallabies duty and then holidays, it is has taken until now for the parties to arrange a meeting.

The CBA stipulates a bottom-line investment in players' salaries per year, which the ARU is looking to reduce before putting a limit on individual player payments, club spending and third-party deals, which would likely also even out competition between the five Australian teams. The Melbourne Rebels are not party to the collective bargaining agreement as they are new to the competition.

While the ARU refused to deny that the implementation of a salary cap and the reduction on player earning limits were being considered, it, too, opted not to weigh into the debate until official negotiations had begun.

''In terms of the CBA, we are keen for the renegotiation to get under way but until we sit down with RUPA we think it'd be inappropriate to go into any detail about what those negotiations will produce,'' an ARU spokesman said. ''We're not going to be pre-empting negotiations. We're not in a position to be talking about that [players' salaries] until all the relevant bodies are involved.''

However, some sources revealed to The Sun-Herald that several teams were already operating under the new protocol - which is believed to involve the central contracting system limiting contract lengths to just two years - although the players' union has yet to come to terms with the governing body.

''The difficulties in re-signing players are the clubs and the ARU are using new contract protocols,'' one source said. ''Obviously they've signed six or so Wallabies in the past month, but if you'd notice they're all two-year deals, and from what I can see they're stripping salaries.

''And if you're going to introduce a salary cap, surely the players' association should be involved in the process? Any football code with a cap - the players' associations have always been involved in negotiations.''

While there is tension over how the ARU is going about its financial evaluation - players believing they are being hard done by if officials' wages aren't also reduced under a holistic review of the body's financial woes - there's little argument it is a necessity for the code to survive and thrive again.

Under existing arrangements, Australian contracted players are largely earning more than their European and New Zealand counterparts - but so, too, are officials.

B

Bradley

I think a couple of outcomes of this will be that players will look to follow the cash overseas and the Melbourne Rebels might get a jump on the other franchises because they are not party to the collective bargaining agreement.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Maybe they need to find another way to pay players. If the players were assured they would recieve say 30% of income off the ARU each year then they then have a vested interest in earning more money for the ARU. This might prompt the players association to allow the players to play more games to generate more income. Maybe you could allocate a value of 1 to 10 for each player and they recieve their "cut" of the original 30% just like a share holder recieves a dividend but based on their point value rather than number of shares. This would be instead of a set dollar figure. I dont know if this would be popular as there is the chance of reduced income but there is an upside, if you sold 80000 tickets a few times over to test matches then the players wages would become a lot bigger.

Using this method there is more incentive for the players to want to play more games per year as well as play a brand of Rugby that inspires people to spend their money on the game as this would essentially become the source of income.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
If it's about saving money, why would they place restrictions on 3rd party deals?

If revenue's are dropping, why is it neccesarry to reduce the player % of their profit? It's a percentage so the amount will reduce anyway...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
agree moses, just weird.
to suggest that franchises must limit amounts of money would suggest more that there trying to spread talent as well as cut wages.
i know i say this as a tahs fan, but i agree with it no matter what franchise is competitive. that if you spread the talent around all five teams in australia we will never have a team capable of winning the whole thing.

Stu Wilsons Gloves

Stan Wickham (3)
Isn't this the journo who suggested the ARU would struggle to sign any players post-rwc, how did that pan out? I wouldn't beleive anything coming out of the SMH regarding rugby. It seems to be a mouthpeice for score settling in ARU politics. Australian rugby needs an independent commission to run the sport properly.

O

OLDDOG

iVE GOTTA FEELING THE aru business manager , JON , is tempted to follow the rugby league pay model. Is that successful? I dont know. But I do know it allows the leagies to poach promising union talent by paying more up front when the lads are young, an offer too tempting for many.......

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
You say that, but another player will just step up and take his place on the big earners list.

Thought they'd been seen to have had been reining the wages in, and making the contracts shorter?

Don't think we will be seeing the huge, long term contracts come out as often as they had in the past..

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
If it's about saving money, why would they place restrictions on 3rd party deals?

If revenue's are dropping, why is it neccesarry to reduce the player % of their profit? It's a percentage so the amount will reduce anyway...

That's what seemed really weird to me. The whole thing is a very odd way to restructure wages in order to, allegedly, save money.

The player percentage of revenue has been stable, so if they're struggling it implies cost blowouts in other areas - why? What's being done there? Hence RUPA's questions re the holistic approach I guess.

The whole 3rd party thing is just plain odd. They surely ought to be ENCOURAGING 3rd party deals to relieve some of the burden from the ARU and franchise coffers?

Some people have noted that he/SMH is a mouthpiece for the ARU. Perhaps, but that still means it's coming out of ARU HQ. Which means it's at the least an ambit claim from them.

If we just sent a few of those suits to the glue factory, I'm sure we could save a bit, and with one or two Ponies already headed that way we can save millions and have a bunch of UHU afterwards...

T

territorian

Lets remember that from the end of this season, the ARU will be controlling the academies, and I mean only 2, Qld and NSW - the others will be disbandoned. The ARU will determine who will be in the two academy's, which players get dolled out to which S15 franchises and therefore controlling payments to those players.
This is a long term change where a defacto draft will be in place and the S15 competition in Australia will be on a more even basis.

C

Cando

what IS the academy structure going to be in 2012? is it offical or still speculation?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
ive spoken to a couple of people and i think i have worked it out.

i think, and this is my opinion, that the ARU wants to put a salary cap in place where all the teams get the same amount of money to spend on players. a few years ago there was a top wage of 110000 or there abouts that a player could make from there team and then the aru would top up wallabies. apparantly, and merely speculation that wage has gone up and down around the country to were players at certain teams are getting two or three times that before there wallaby contract. this would mean that a team that offers someone that deal would have less to spend on lesser players thus distributing talent more evenly.

the third party bit is strange though. as was said, it would take pressure off to pay from someone elses wallet.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
If the ARU wanna save money,
Why did they hire all 4 membership & ticketing tems from the franchises? All aussie super rugby memberships are through the ARU now, its just stupid

W

wallaby gold

don't know much about thejourno but i'm a close friend of some of the brumbies and i was trold in jan he had agreed to racing metro. from what i was told aru came in at last minute and convinced him to stay - no cash in europe. was pretty much done deal but deans convinced him to stay

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

Maybe because a fixed number got generated (30% of $Xmillion = $Ymillion) a few years ago and that fixed number is still in place (player salaries don't fluctuate yearly but are set in contracts). With X going down a fair way this year the ARU wants Y re-calculated???

Even if it is a sliding percentage is sounds like the income is so fucked this year that they're now encroaching on other fixed costs that can't budge

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That is why I would also guess at. Some costs will increase in % as revenue decreases so others have to decrease. Almost like a company putting staff in a nine day fortnight to get through a lean period.

Status
Not open for further replies.