• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
Watched a good number 7 during last Sunday's Reds v Tahs game at Suncorp - Harry Turner from Western Sydney. The kid looks tough as nails! He rushed up on the Brisbane attack when they took a tap off a penalty as if there was an urgent need to lift the team or he was the only line of defence - the game was already won! He looked a bit dusty but got up to take his place in the line and even scored a try a few minutes later! Hate to say it as a proud Queenslander but he was by far the standout in that game. Hope he gets to see some action this weekend
If not, maybe Ballymore would be a good fit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
Posted on Quantas Wallabies site
1st April 2016 by T.Wallace
The BMW Australia Junior Gold Cup action continues this weekend. #JGC2016 #BMWRugbyPathways

Allen Oxlade (6)
I heard some dads talking at the NSW Country Champs about the JGC and how some kids struggle to meet the disgraceful costs to players of the programme. One quipped "If they can't afford it then don't bloody play!" Yep that's an awesome attitude. Yes I gave him a gob full saying if the JGC was only after kids that could "afford" to play then we will never truly have the best players in our "marquee" junior comp. His reply? The 1000 yard stare.

Ruckedknee

Stan Wickham (3)
Does anyone know what the story is about JGC next year? The word coming out of the U15 and 16 NSW JRU State Champs is that the U17 JGC is toast - to be replaced by an u16's Schoolboy comp?

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Does anyone know what the story is about JGC next year? The word coming out of the U15 and 16 NSW JRU State Champs is that the U17 JGC is toast - to be replaced by an u16's Schoolboy comp?
Would that be the same one they cancelled 3 years ago?
Spin the chocolate wheel again.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe the NSW associations have decided to toe the line onstead of being so precious over the naming of the teams, which some well placed snouts were saying at the time was behind the scrapping of the U16 National Champs.

They were fighting over the same pool of players to get them into "their" team. Also lead to some fun and games over eligibility for SJRU selection. I have missed the fun and games from the U16 threads of times bygone.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And the ARU wouldn't have to dip their toe into clubland either. (Which is bascially what the ARU and the NSWRU have been doing for at least 15 years)

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well maybe a schools comp will negate the boys having to pay anywhere between $660 and $1200 for the privilege of playing our sport. Now maybe public school boys can get a shot at playing in the elite level without paying for it.
Again SG Ball, Harold Mats etc is FREE...... FREE for the kids.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well maybe a schools comp will negate the boys having to pay anywhere between $660 and $1200 for the privilege of playing our sport. Now maybe public school boys can get a shot at playing in the elite level without paying for it.
Again SG Ball, Harold Mats etc is FREE.. FREE for the kids.

I'm in 100% agreement with you about the cost thing.

Doesn't this make you jealous?

I was having a conversation the other day about grass roots rugby investment and someone told me how much England were spending. I couldn't believe some of things that the RFU is able to do. I was able to confirm these figures from the 2014 RFU annual report.

In 2015 the RFU decided to introduce rugby into 400 non-rugby playing schools and provided 10,000 pounds to EACH school to help with the intro

The RFU alloocated 5.2 million pounds to facilities for grass roots rugby clubs (supplemented by another 6.9 million from Sport England)

Both items on page 23 of the attached

The RFU junior development budget for 2015 was 30.7 million pounds. (schools and juniors)

The RFU allocated 44.6 million pounds to its professional rugby

Page 41 of the attached

http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Document/AboutRFU/General/01/30/64/47/RFUAnnualReport_Neutral.pdf

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has Junior Gold Cup been too succesful for its own good?

The former easy beats like Vic, ACT and WA are starting to challenge and beat NSW and Qld at U20 and U18 Schhoboy levels.

Can't have that happening, can we?

It wasn't in the script when they pitched the JGC to the Pulverisor.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Has Junior Gold Cup been too succesful for its own good?

The former easy beats like Vic, ACT and WA are starting to challenge and beat NSW and Qld at U20 and U18 Schhoboy levels.

Can't have that happening, can we?

It wasn't in the script when they pitched the JGC to the Pulverisor.

Damn good thing. The Rebels and Force will achieve success IMO when half of their squad are home grown.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Might also say something about where the focus and development bucks have gone in attempts to grow the game nationally

Maybe that was in the Pulverisor's script

Allen Oxlade (6)
and the JGC continues to the detriment of local rep programmes...... but that's ok, we've got leagueys playing JGC then going back to league. Yup that's great for growing our game.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
Just announced that there will be No more JGC for u17s. There will only be a program for u15s to be run in Sept/Oct over 5 weeks. Shame that there is no rep pathway for 16 & 17 year olds not at a private school.

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
I agree with you Dingasden!
Please could you tell me where you saw this announcement?

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Just announced that there will be No more JGC for u17s. There will only be a program for u15s to be run in Sept/Oct over 5 weeks. Shame that there is no rep pathway for 16 & 17 year olds not at a private school.

Australian Rugby just goes from Strength to Strength, doesn't it.
If the ARU are going to rely on the private schools to develop and identify their future stars we are in for a lot of pain.

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
19th July 2016

Attention: Game Development Managers, School Associations, Junior Associations, Referee Associations

As you would be aware the last three years has seen significant changes in our Elite player pathways. The
Junior Gold Cup was introduced at U15 and U17 level and replaced the National U16 Championships. At

the same time we introduced a National U20 Championships which this year evolved into the Super 20s

competition.

There are obviously many opportunities for young players to play representative rugby as well as being

involved in other school and junior sports. We’ve made a decision for 2017 to move as many of our

representative programs to a small window in September/October to limit the demands on players but

also to provide a clear pathway for those wishing to pursue opportunities as potentially elite rugby

players.

The changes will no doubt bring about consultation within each State and key stakeholders about the

best internal structures. As you can imagine a challenge for the ARU is the number of variables around

dates, school holidays etc. Some of these are the large number of school and junior associations

nationally and a calendar that contains many different elements.

In simple terms the changes in National programs from 2017 will be:

No U17 Junior Gold Cup

The U15 Junior Gold Cup will be a 10 team competition held over 5 weeks in September/October

There will be an Australian U16 rugby championships held in the September/October holidays.

The final format of these championships is yet to be determined. We would see this as a key

entry point into elite player programs within each State.

With regards to the National Schools’ Championships, we are constantly working with the NSS group and

ASRU to review the best timing and format for them. This is an ongoing process.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Adrian Thompson | National Performance Programs Manager | Australian Rugby Union Ltd

I think we as a rugby fraternity can be way to critical of our governing body but 3 years ago they shut down what was a vibrant and well regarded U16 National Carnival at the protest of particularly NSW participants, (other states tend to toe the ARU line) and now a massive back flip.

Status
Not open for further replies.