• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fresh from the NSW Junior RU State Championships.

In the 2014 JGC Under 17, there were 6 NSW Regional Centres, and 4 Sydney Centres established.
Kids from all over were invited to try out for the programme: Fivekick, Schools, Current Village Club players, Lapsed Village Club players.

In Sydney alone, apparently 250 kids attended the trials in an attempt to get a gig in one of the 4 teams.

Fast forward to June Long Weekend and the NSW JRU State Champs. The investment in Under 17 JGC has resulted in a staggering 7 representative teams register for the U17 division of the State Champs: 2 from NSW Country and 5 from Metro.

From a casual glance through the playing lists of a couple of the Metro teams, comparing the nominated players against the list of registered players in the SJRU Buddha system, there has been some generous use of the eligibility dispensation system for one of the Sydney teams, and another has listed 6/25 as playing Colts rugby.

According to a poster in another thread, the Hunter U17 JGC group has decided that too much rugby is enough, and while participating in the NSW CJRU championships, they declined to attend the State Champs.

I was hoping to see a flow on into Village Club rugby from interest in the JGC. This year that clearly has not been the case.

One wonders if the inclusion of the Fivekick boys in the programme over the summer has resulted in an outflow of boys across to the dark side, rather than an inflow from Loig to Rugby. Enemy agents, disguised as potential code hoppers, would have had free access to our boys all summer and have possibly enticed some boys across to Greco-Roman Rugby.

Either that or the JGC programme was so poor in execution that very few were enticed to continue the experience over the winter.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)

In the 2014 JGC Under 17, there were 6 NSW Regional Centres, and 4 Sydney Centres established.
Kids from all over were invited to try out for the programme: Fivekick, Schools, Current Village Club players, Lapsed Village Club players.

In Sydney alone, apparently 250 kids attended the trials in an attempt to get a gig in one of the 4 teams.

Fast forward to June Long Weekend and the NSW JRU State Champs. The investment in Under 17 JGC has resulted in a staggering 7 representative teams register for the U17 division of the State Champs: 2 from NSW Country and 5 from Metro.

From a casual glance through the playing lists of a couple of the Metro teams, comparing the nominated players against the list of registered players in the SJRU Buddha system, there has been some generous use of the eligibility dispensation system for one of the Sydney teams, and another has listed 6/25 as playing Colts rugby.

According to a poster in another thread, the Hunter U17 JGC group has decided that too much rugby is enough, and while participating in the NSW CJRU championships, they declined to attend the State Champs.

I was hoping to see a flow on into Village Club rugby from interest in the JGC. This year that clearly has not been the case.

One wonders if the inclusion of the Fivekick boys in the programme over the summer has resulted in an outflow of boys across to the dark side, rather than an inflow from Loig to Rugby. Enemy agents, disguised as potential code hoppers, would have had free access to our boys all summer and have possibly enticed some boys across to Greco-Roman Rugby.

Either that or the JGC programme was so poor in execution that very few were enticed to continue the experience over the winter.

There are boys out there who want to play 17's or opens they just need a club to be proactive or know someone who plays. We started the season with 11 players and now have 27 and are unfortunately turning boys away now. We got on facebook and next minute we have friends of friends wanting to play. you don't need to be a genius to work it out

Magilla

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to talk about pathways but as a non union playing parent ( love my league!) I have absolutely no idea of what to advise my son, currently U17, for next year. He has played reps since U12's, made country and CHS teams, junior gold this year but we have received no advice for the future. The player mentor for the JGC had a good attempt at talking my son out of playing this year! Do we just turn up at a Sydney club and try out for colts next year?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What does he want to do after school? Where are his mates going?
The answer to these pretty much shape what your lad should do next year rugby wise.

I think you may be associated with the Coasties.

Pretty sure that there are plenty of ex Coasties at Gordon and Norths.

Send @Gibbo a Conversation. He is well connected at Gordon Rugby and well placed to give you good advice. They are looking for Colts to rebuild for 2015.

Magilla

Frank Nicholson (4)
thanks Hugh, yes we are with the Coasties (what a year!) and he is looking to go to Uni in Sydney somewhere and does have a few mates in colts at Norths, Gordon and Eastwood. He loves his rugby and like thousand's of other kids dreams of playing for the Wallabies on day:)

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)

HJ, don't forget that those 10 teams in the U17's consisted of 30 players a team so you had 300 players representing NSW in the JGC. At the State Champs you had 7 teams of 23 players for a total of 161.

Why would it attract players into the Village Club system? How many 'League only' players participated? I wouldn't have thought that there were that many, and what % would you expect to play on in union afterwards?

I didn't see one thing that advertised the JGC outside the RU community or even advertising RU in general. Nothing went out to schools o_O. As I have stated in previous posts we have a product but it is not being advertised so there is little reason why would the JGC would attract more players.

Some posters have previously stated that all went well in their centres whilst others, including myself, have stated they didn't. I still chuckle to myself regarding the lad that missed the first 2 games because of injury. Wasn't chosen for the 3rd. Played only 40 mins in the 4th and scored 4 tries, only to be dropped for the 5th game. When his mother inquired why she was told by the JGC coordinator that they had 5 wingers and that 4 were up there and her son was down there.

I'm glad to see he kept playing because he made the NSW Country team ;) . Then again there are some that wouldn't consider that a great achievement due to the selection process.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
If you read the job adds at the ARU they are looking for 2 people to manage two conferences with 5 teams in each. thats a big change from the 16 teams that played JGC last year. I would guess a consolidation of the Sydney and Brisbane sides down to 2 each then QLD country, NSW country, WA, VIC, SA and ACT. Something will be out soon i believe.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
If you read the job adds at the ARU they are looking for 2 people to manage two conferences with 5 teams in each. thats a big change from the 16 teams that played JGC last year. I would guess a consolidation of the Sydney and Brisbane sides down to 2 each then QLD country, NSW country, WA, VIC, SA and ACT. Something will be out soon i believe.

No, looks like Sydney will have four again. What are the squad sizes?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bump.

In NSW, CAS, ISA rugby has finished. Waratah Shield and Cup Grand Finals are on this week. AAGPS have 2 rounds left, and on the Junior Village Club front all focus is on the Finals Series.
In QLD, AIC footy finished a long time ago. GPS has a couple of rounds left.
ACT are coming to the sharp end of their combined club/school competition.

Participants from the inaugural Junior Gold Cup have been surveyed for their feedback from the past season.

I had hoped that there would be a bigger impact on participant numbers in Junior Village Club Rugby particularly in the U17 cohort.

This doesn't appear to be the case this time around, however I may have been expecting too much to see an immediate turnaround, especially given how quickly JGC version 1.0 was rolled out.

So ... ... ... what is happening for JGC version 2.0?

Anyone have any inside information?

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Many of Last years GC U15's will not try for U17's.
The Brisbane under 15's this year will be strong with many participating in JGC Last year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that the $10 is just for the privilege of trialling for the JGC programme.

I would be surprised if that was the last cost faced to participate in the programme. I hope I am wrong.

I like that the programme has been devolved to the Super Rugby Franchises to manage.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
I think you're right HJ, last year was around$500? The U15 boys up in Brizzy that I've spoken to seemed to really enjoy it. Probably helps getting through to the final. So I'm pretty sure the vast majority will be back for another crack.
Looks like NSW are on to it, haven't heard boo from the QRU.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Last year was $660 for NSW. Not sure if it was the same in all states.

So now we pay $10 for rego for the trials, then the cost of the program TBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.