• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
A hot and tiring 4 hours for North and South Harbour JGC U15s and U17s down at Daceyville this morning.

The trials are being run by the Tahs and seemed to be pretty well organised, though I think selectors would struggle to assess quality and form based on the 3 lots of drills and rapid fire 7s played over the first 2 hours.

The boys then moved on to 7s as we know it, with some boys getting 2 and others 1 game.

Apparently there will be 3 classes of cattle chosen following today - "Level 1" who get a parachute directly into the final 40, "levels 2 -4" who can look forward to another 4 hrs at Daceyville next Sun and those who are "not quite up to our standards" who will be invited to work on their game and try again in the future.

I initially thought this a bit unfair - why not bring them all back for another shot? But with circa 150 boys in each age group to select amongst, it was pretty chaotic at times. A smaller pool should make for a more manageable set up next week, enabling boys in levels 2-4 a better opportunity to show what they can do. With so few opportunities for selectors to really assess players today, the impression was that the process so far favours boys who are known commodities. Next week should be an improvement on this.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
Too much time wasted on skills with little notice taken by selectors which seemed low in number. They need to take note of how CHS Trials were done. Each player got a jersey to wear for the day, this made it heaps easier for selectors of which they need more. Participation Numbers seemed unsurprisingly low. Long season obvious contributor but marketing & communication needs to improve drastically. Luke Theissen issued an email a few weeks ago when first trial date had to be changed saying the first trial will be after the second trial. So maybe more kids will turn up to the first trial next Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Hi S' UP . It's a very small rugby world out there and as the years pass and boys get picked in various rep teams you get to know most of the coaches selectors and parents spending hours chatting and reliving past campaigns.
Every year you loose some parents and gain some as the boys develop at different ages. That ability to network is what holds rugby together and allows the journeyman to travel the world with his footy boots.
The boys make friendships from all over Sydney . I can appreciate, to someone new that the chat could seem bias but I'll back up Brainstrust here, that selectors and coaches do want the best boys in their squad. Sometimes politics does intervene but generally it's only in the last 8 in a squad of 23 where an argument could be made for any 3 boys in each of those positions.
JGC last year I thought ran pretty well for a first up. What I noticed was a large gap in the top players to the bottom players in skill and fitness and toughness. Development??? Let's hope that the boys learnt what they need to do to get to the next level. I know they enjoyed playing with the superstars and getting to know them. Have a look at facebook and check the photos. I watched a game where a cup team ran out a seconds squad with the expectation of an easy win. With 15 to go and holding on to a narrow lead the coaches brought in a boy off the bench and in the space of 8 mins 3 trys were scored bonus points were earnt and he came off. Winning is important to the team mentality? ??
Getting the balance right between development and winning is the key to a happy squad and maybe needs to be stipulated in the original sign on paperwork. Parents have to realise that that it's not club level (where everyone gets equal time)
Another issue with the JGC is getting the top players to participate over summer having already played too much rugby ( club school JSC zone state etc) so going forward I hope we loose some layers and let the JGC become the pathway so that it's all over by October not just starting.
10to12 just so I'm clear on what you are saying you consider me new to rugby.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
the jgc is no longer run by the aru, it is now under the nswru banner. this does not fill me with confidence that this program will continue. Saw no aru\nswru representation at the centre I attended.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
the jgc is no longer run by the aru, it is now under the nswru banner. this does not fill me with confidence that this program will continue. Saw no aru\nswru representation at the centre I attended.
Luke Thiessen is still heading the JGC and he is part of the ARU so i'd be surprised if it was being run by nswru. Which centre did you attend? there were numerous ARU people at Granville on Sunday.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Luke Thiessen is still heading the JGC and he is part of the ARU so i'd be surprised if it was being run by nswru. Which centre did you attend? there were numerous ARU people at Granville on Sunday.

His status isn't that simple I don't think. For instance you go to camp Wallaby in one school holidays and camp Waratah in the next set and the same guys there running them. At one they're wearing ARU stuff at the other they're wearing NSWRU stuff. I spoke to LT about this - I'm not sure I got it 100% but they work at the NSWRU, but are funded by the ARU.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
His status isn't that simple I don't think. For instance you go to camp Wallaby in one school holidays and camp Waratah in the next set and the same guys there running them. At one they're wearing ARU stuff at the other they're wearing NSWRU stuff. I spoke to LT about this - I'm not sure I got it 100% but they work at the NSWRU, but are funded by the ARU.
Nothing is ever as simple as it seems:)

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
A hot and tiring 4 hours for North and South Harbour JGC U15s and U17s down at Daceyville this morning.

The trials are being run by the Tahs and seemed to be pretty well organised, though I think selectors would struggle to assess quality and form based on the 3 lots of drills and rapid fire 7s played over the first 2 hours.

The boys then moved on to 7s as we know it, with some boys getting 2 and others 1 game.

Apparently there will be 3 classes of cattle chosen following today - "Level 1" who get a parachute directly into the final 40, "levels 2 -4" who can look forward to another 4 hrs at Daceyville next Sun and those who are "not quite up to our standards" who will be invited to work on their game and try again in the future.

I initially thought this a bit unfair - why not bring them all back for another shot? But with circa 150 boys in each age group to select amongst, it was pretty chaotic at times. A smaller pool should make for a more manageable set up next week, enabling boys in levels 2-4 a better opportunity to show what they can do. With so few opportunities for selectors to really assess players today, the impression was that the process so far favours boys who are known commodities. Next week should be an improvement on this.

Does anyone know how many were selected straight into the squads and not required for the second trial?

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Does anyone know how many were selected straight into the squads and not required for the second trial?
i'm not sure that is the process, nothing like that was stated at our trial centre, the only thing that was said was see you all next week, if you cannot make it let us know now.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
i'm not sure that is the process, nothing like that was stated at our trial centre, the only thing that was said was see you all next week, if you cannot make it let us know now.

I gather some kids were told yesterday they were in the squad and did not need to trial this week.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Can confirm some North Harbour boys were told last night.

Seemingly, not a large number and at least a few of those are backing up after last year, so are known to selectors. A good no. of boys who played for Sydney this year are heading back on Sunday

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
As I mentioned for the number of players from 2 zones & 2 age groups, there were hardly any selectors at Daceyville last Sunday. From what i saw, I'm Not sure how they can effectively pick any squads. 15 a side games will make it easier so long as all players are given a fair opportunity and game time to show their potential.

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
From what I hear 4 out of the five didn't play last year so no incumbent issues that you find at club level and rep level not an issue. Also only one of the five played for Sydney. Maybe for a change selectors did there job and picked on what they saw.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Great to see that sunday will be the warmest day since last sunday, it would appear the weather gods don't want the boys to have any respite.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
From what I hear 4 out of the five didn't play last year so no incumbent issues that you find at club level and rep level not an issue. Also only one of the five played for Sydney. Maybe for a change selectors did there job and picked on what they saw.

At least 3 from this year's Sydney u14s were waived through. Of these, only 1 from 2013 JGC. Good to see at least some from beyond the most recent clipboard given the nod

Bladerunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
As I mentioned for the number of players from 2 zones & 2 age groups, there were hardly any selectors at Daceyville last Sunday. From what i saw, I'm Not sure how they can effectively pick any squads. 15 a side games will make it easier so long as all players are given a fair opportunity and game time to show their potential.

First trials for the Bisbane boys was on the weekend and I was amazed that they are picking 3 Brisbane teams with squads of 35, going to be tough for the coaches rotating that many boys through. At the trials I think they only had about 130 boys trialling the ones that miss out will be disappointed.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
First trials for the Bisbane boys was on the weekend and I was amazed that they are picking 3 Brisbane teams with squads of 35, going to be tough for the coaches rotating that many boys through. At the trials I think they only had about 130 boys trialling the ones that miss out will be disappointed.

Thought the QRU ran the day well. I think they are using the same model as NSW for the squads, ie dropping the number down to 25 during the competition phase, although I've only heard this third hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.