• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
U15 Gold Coast defeated Logan 33 - 19, after a good fightback from Logan in the second half. (19 - 7 HT)

Couldn't stay for U17s

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Just whiled we're discussing the number of times the boys train, the Western region boys associated with a club are encouraged to train with their grade teams as well as their limited time together. It doesn't build combos, but it is good for skills and conditioning. There are many ways to skin a cat.

Thomo77

Frank Nicholson (4)
U15 Sydney West vs Illawarra 22 - 10 to Sydney West.

U17s a lot (too many to keep track of) to not many to Sydney West.

There's a video of the game here for those interested

Thomo77

Frank Nicholson (4)
I agree that it takes a significant slab of time and that everyone involved is largely voluntary but this is supposed to be an elite pathway above and beyond club/state championship level. Each kid has to pay a levy to compete and they should be getting their money's worth.

That means they should be training as a squad at least twice a week (so its good to learn that they are) as well as independent S&C programs. This is something that I have always admired in league. These systems are in place that work exactly along these lines and its exactly what we should be looking to emulate as it often proves the difference with kids looking to make something out of their talents. We have lost too many kids to the league pathways because of the fact that they believe they can play more competitive football. The JGC is a huge step in addressing that, but it has to ensure it can deliver similar levels of development and professionalism in terms of training etc.
I totally agree on the need for professionalism in the program and this probably goes to my earlier comment about organisation, equipment and logistics.

I'm sure everyone involved is doing their best in the circumstances but it seems thrown together at times.

The centres have almost no gear of their own and no 'home' that ties in with any structure or identity. In terms of coaching numbers they are massively light compared to league and basics like 1st aid, strapping, ice etc at games is BYO... that's miles from what you'd expect of an 'elite' program in any sport.

If they stick with it as a pathway I'm sure it will improve... Rome wasn't built in a day... but for now I think it should be looked at in line with what it is.... something new that gives kids a chance to play some more rugby, learn some new tricks, get fitter and see what other talent is around.

From my perspective, if you're going to call it an 'elite' program you have to resource it and organise it as such. The intent seems to be there, especially from the coaches, but the back office seems a long way off that so far with too few trying to do too much.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
U15 Gold Coast defeated Logan 33 - 19, after a good fightback from Logan in the second half. (19 - 7 HT)

Couldn't stay for U17s
Was a good game to watch between two good sides. Both under 15s packs were strong big packs with maybe Gold Coast mid field probably the slight difference between the squads. Under 17s was a real epic struggle for both teams. Both packs were big and strong scrum time was so awesome with both packs technically very strong. Would not be surprised if the Qld squads feature a few players from these two centres

Bend Bind and Drive!!

Bob McCowan (2)
In my opinion no real standouts today for South Harbour u15, they blew a big lead for their narrow win. I will say though that they do have a number of potential threats but to be honest lack the cohesion as a team to really put teams away like they should be.This team will come away from this comp with a lot of newly learned skills and an understanding of what potential lies in their region which is a good thing. It gives the boys a good grounding for the u15 metropolitan teams which are picked after state.Actually if your looking for players to watch out for Ill give you this the No.7 is always good, today the No.8 was handy.Beware though the boys do change their numbers as the team line ups can change;)

Hilltop View

Peter Burge (5)
In the U15's, Brisbane Pink had a win over North QLD 24-12, Purple beat Ipswich 39-0 and the Bris Orange game v Central QLD was postponed.

Good Clean Game

Bob McCowan (2)
Sydney North harbour U15 beat Illawarra 65-7 by my count. Illawarra started out well and looked to be matching Sydney up front. Their backs couldn't penetrate Sydney's defence early and once Sydney started throwing the ball wide the gaps started to appear.

Standouts for Sydney (for me) were the #7 who despite his small stature went after every loose ball all game. Big heart and full of enthusiasm! Also #17 who came on as prop mid way through the first half - showed good ball skills as well as very robust defence. Included a chip and chase which he'll no doubt be talking about 20 years from now. The Sydney left wing #11 is also one to watch with good speed and a great step.

If Sydney's outer backs had straighten their lines there would have been a few more tries bagged. Sydney #10 had a quiet first half but directed the play much more efficiently in the second half. Took the ball to the line well and often drew multiple defenders. Also showed good hands with good choice of cut outs and/or delayed passes.

I'd expect that Sydney will still have to find greater cohesion in the forwards and run better lines out wide if they want to trouble the top runners in the comp..

A promising outing!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Good segment on the Junior Gold Cup on Foxtel show Rugby HQ last night. Hopefully the segment will make it onto You Tube, or will be available on the Foxtel Web Site for those without subscription TV. [Stop the Press. Found it]

There was strong support from the panellists on the show for the programme, and the need to spend money on developing teenage players at grass roots levels for the future good of the game. That discussion is sadly not on the clip posted on youtube.

I know the setup isn't perfect and improvements can always be made, but I'm glad the JGC exists. It's pretty easy to sit back and moan about all of this but people are clearly having a crack at putting a pathway together and I for one fully support them. Let's hope it grows from here and gets the necessary support and funding from the ARU. We need this to be a success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I know the setup isn't perfect and improvements can always be made, but I'm glad the JGC exists. It's pretty easy to sit back and moan about all of this but people are clearly having a crack at putting a pathway together and I for one fully support them. Let's hope it grows from here and gets the necessary support and funding from the ARU. We need this to be a success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only issue with it is that it didn't exist 13 years ago back when I would have been eligible and there was more money to fund it.

jeff thomson

Herbert Moran (7)
In my opinion no real standouts today for South Harbour u15, they blew a big lead for their narrow win. I will say though that they do have a number of potential threats but to be honest lack the cohesion as a team to really put teams away like they should be.This team will come away from this comp with a lot of newly learned skills and an understanding of what potential lies in their region which is a good thing. It gives the boys a good grounding for the u15 metropolitan teams which are picked after state.Actually if your looking for players to watch out for Ill give you this the No.7 is always good, today the No.8 was handy.Beware though the boys do change their numbers as the team line ups can change;)

thanks for that mate! i thought last week South harbour should of put away Northern Inland last week but let it down in the second half, what about Souths backs last week they were pretty promising with alot of talent out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.