• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Trials are on 14th Nov. U17s are combining 3 Bris teams with Logan and Ipswich to make one team. Appalling decision. My son played 15s first year and 17s as a 16 year old and this has been a great competition. How they expect nurture promising players by doing this is beyond me. Disgusted.

Does anyone close to the action know the reasoning behind this?

"The JGC exists to support the long term development of potentially talented players in the U15-17 year age groups through an accessible and nationally coordinated and consistent development and competition program delivered across Australia." ARU website
This decision seems to run completely against the stated rationale for the competition.

Informed

Frank Nicholson (4)
Does anyone close to the action know the reasoning behind this?

"The JGC exists to support the long term development of potentially talented players in the U15-17 year age groups through an accessible and nationally coordinated and consistent development and competition program delivered across Australia." ARU website
This decision seems to run completely against the stated rationale for the competition.
In NSW, some regions battled for numbers to field 15 through the tournament, yet alone 'potentially talented' players. The assessment was the talent was spread to thin. I am assuming this is the same rational in Queensland for those teams affected, but I don't know for a fact. As HJ often quotes, the cream will rise to the top if they want it enough and can handle the disappointment of missing out in the younger age groups. After many years being involved can I tell you, IMO it really only gets serious at the u20 level for those seeking more than perhaps just a social run around.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
In NSW, some regions battled for numbers to field 15 through the tournament, yet alone 'potentially talented' players. The assessment was the talent was spread to thin. I am assuming this is the same rational in Queensland for those teams affected, but I don't know for a fact. As HJ often quotes, the cream will rise to the top if they want it enough and can handle the disappointment of missing out in the younger age groups. After many years being involved can I tell you, IMO it really only gets serious at the u20 level for those seeking more than perhaps just a social run around.

Could not agree more, still would like to see more focus on the 18-20 year olds to compete with the Car makers cup and give the lads an attractive option post school.
IMHO the money being tipped into Gold Cup is a waste of time and resource with all the competition from schools and likeminded city and country associations.

Informed

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interestingly the 20s rugby program is looking at something akin to the Super 15 competition, while the 'Car' competition is phasing theirs out. (2016 likely to be the last year linked to the NRL teams). Although the other comp has been able to attract under 20 players with contracts and incentives, rugby has THE trump card in the form of sevens rugby at the next Olympic Games! I can attest to the fact this is attracting the intention of many cross coders, mine included.

CB Set

Peter Burge (5)
Do any of these players provide hope that the Junior Gold Cup will give us spectators, good quality rugby games to watch?

Oldpig

Stan Wickham (3)
Do any of these players provide hope that the Junior Gold Cup will give us spectators, good quality rugby games to watch?

Lets hope so, however I know of at least one player named who didn't even turn up for the trials, seems he has just had surgery and will be out for at least 4-6 months.

According to the section criteria and email received, "We are pleased to inform you that you have received adequate rankings from the selectors and showed yourself very well over the trial period." Lets discuss.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Matt Rowley's analysis of the Wallabies and Scottish scrums had this old prop quietly weeping tears of joy at its poetic beauty. Matt has clearly been reading through Topo's "Art of Scrummaging..and frankly it's about time that the premier set piece of the game of Rugby had its time in the spotlight.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/scrum-analysis-wallabies-vs-scotland/

I couldn't agree more Azuri. The above lifts the lid on what is going on and why things happen and why commentators who are backs shouldn't comment on scrums!

More needs to be done in teaching players about the scrum. It sticks out like d--s balls those players who have been taught and those that haven't.

Super Rugby franchises should be investing in a "Hogwarts academy" to teach the "dark arts" if they are serious about developing the game beyond catch pass tackle.

Would love to see it as part of the JGC curriculum??? How about a weekend clinic for all for all GS forwards facilitated at Moore Park for U15s and U17s? What ever happened to the bold initiative of "Tracktahs"?

MR. RUGBY

Frank Row (1)
I couldn't agree more Azuri. The above lifts the lid on what is going on and why things happen and why commentators who are backs shouldn't comment on scrums!

More needs to be done in teaching players about the scrum. It sticks out like d--s balls those players who have been taught and those that haven't.

Super Rugby franchises should be investing in a "Hogwarts academy" to teach the "dark arts" if they are serious about developing the game beyond catch pass tackle.

Would love to see it as part of the JGC curriculum??? How about a weekend clinic for all for all GS forwards facilitated at Moore Park for U15s and U17s? What ever happened to the bold initiative of "Tracktahs"?

The NSW TracTahs program is growing as it was meant to since its foundation. Every year there is a new induction of kids aged U12. In its second year the program now has 2 age groups and over 60 tight 5 forwards being coached in set piece over 3 camps per year.
The program had recently inducted 6 new coaches to the program through advertising amongst level 2 and 3 coaches in NSW.

The ARU has since followed suite and introduced a National T5 program. This will aim at ID of players aged 16-18 and increasing the set piece coaching they receive at a state and national level. This all begins with a coaching seminar starting next month. The state programs will be lead by Super Rugby forwards coaches, the National looks to lead by Mario Ledezma and co. KEEP YOUR EAR TO THE GROUND, EXCITING TIMES AHEAD.

I believe the biggest problem is the lack of knowledge around scrummaging our community coaches have to deliver it. Nsw started offering scrum schools as education last school term, these will be more and more next year onward.

I believe in NSW we are quite fortunate compared to the state of scrum and lineout education nationally.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
That is fantastic news and a great initiative. Well done NSW Rugby.

My only criticism is that I don't believe this has been well publicised.

I am sure that there are a number of community based level 1 and level 2 coaches who would love the opportunity to improve their coaching of set piece.

Certainly the numbers would indicate there is sufficient demand at a high performance level from players.

Hopefully junior gold cup provides an opportunity to test the curriculum. Big thumbs up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB Set

Peter Burge (5)
Lets hope so, however I know of at least one player named who didn't even turn up for the trials, seems he has just had surgery and will be out for at least 4-6 months.

According to the section criteria and email received, "We are pleased to inform you that you have received adequate rankings from the selectors and showed yourself very well over the trial period." Lets discuss.

Within the Green and Gold community, does any of these names sound familiar or can anyone vouch for any of these players ability.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Within the Green and Gold community, does any of these names sound familiar or can anyone vouch for any of these players ability.

In the 15s I know Spenser Spaulding and bickmore-hutt. Spaulding is a massive kid for his age, big boot on him too. Dad was a Gordon legend.

Bickmore-hutt has been in the randwick academy for a few years. Sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)

Unfortunately, it seems that many of the GPS schools favour 'running' props over 'scrummaging' props, and I wonder how much this approach has contributed to the problem. The emphasis at Colts and Grade seems to swing back to scrummaging as the priority and running as a secondary skill, but is it too late for a lot of these young blokes?

When I asked earlier in the year about the selection of a so-called running prop over a powerful (and technically correct) scrummager, I was told that the limit on pushing beyond 1.5m in the U/19 laws means that scrum dominance in schoolboy rugby isn't important anymore. Sadly, though, the performance of the Aus schoolboy forwards against the power scrummagers from NZ showed that this is clearly not the case.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Unfortunately, it seems that many of the GPS schools favour 'running' props over 'scrummaging' props, and I wonder how much this approach has contributed to the problem. The emphasis at Colts and Grade seems to swing back to scrummaging as the priority and running as a secondary skill, but is it too late for a lot of these young blokes?

When I asked earlier in the year about the selection of a so-called running prop over a powerful (and technically correct) scrummager, I was told that the limit on pushing beyond 1.5m in the U/19 laws means that scrum dominance in schoolboy rugby isn't important anymore. Sadly, though, the performance of the Aus schoolboy forwards against the power scrummagers from NZ showed that this is clearly not the case.

But that NZ front row could also run with the ball and do their core role as well, they displayed great ball skills as well....
Oz needs to put more focus on catch and pass at an early age...

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
But that NZ front row could also run with the ball and do their core role as well, they displayed great ball skills as well..
Oz needs to put more focus on catch and pass at an early age.

They certainly could! But I suspect that they were selected on the basis of their scrummaging first, and running second - although the tight-head prop could just as easily have played at #10 with those passing skills, and the hooker could be an outside back with his pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.